Help!!!

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Help!!!

Post by Fedora »

I know this is the wrong place, but I am desparate. If you use MSN search and type in Indy fedora, I have been in first place for awhile now. I checked it out this morning as Namebrand is gonna do some changes for me soon, to discover the link that you get when you click on my company name is not www.adventurebilthats.com It takes to to an unavailable page. If you type in my address on the address bar on the my MSN homepage, it takes to to my site. Hackers? A certain unsavory competitor that will go unnamed? Ideas? Thanks, Fedora
Colby
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Colby »

Perhaps the original webpage domain name was what is on MSN, but the new domain name www.adventurebilthats.com goes to a different address. You may want to check with namebrand to make sure the address paths haven't changed somehow. When you click the Cached link on MSN it brings you to the correct page. So it makes me wonder if somehow the pathnames have changed. As if www.adventurebilthats.com really redirected you to the address it shows at one time but MSN hasn't been up to date maybe. :-k
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

No, it has always been the same, from day one. This just happened recently, but I do not know when. I have been flat on my back for the last 5 days with a knee injury and was just getting back in the groove this morning when I discovered this. Namebrand is enquiring about it as I zipped him an email this morning, but he is puzzled too. This is something that has happened recently. I know I am paranoid, but when you know a nefarious character, you immediately put 2 and 2 together. I may have come up with 5. :lol: Fedora
IllinoisJones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IllinoisJones »

Alrighty, it has got to be something with MSN. I went on many different search engines and clicke on the header, and it came up fine. Illinois.
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

Yeah, it looks like something directly related to MSN. It may be linking to someones website that may have link or had a review of yours.
The raw site doesn't even exist.

Yahoo and google work fine. You may have to resubmit your site to the MSN search engine.
IllinoisJones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IllinoisJones »

Also, typing the link itself in the addressbar comes to the same page. Check with msn.
Indy_Railok
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indy_Railok »

They direct you to this page.. indy.beautech.us/default.asp
IllinoisJones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IllinoisJones »

It has to be either a dead or broken link, there is no other answer. I get internet optimizer alot when I click a link that has no where to go. My theory give them (msn) the newere address and evverything should be fine and dandy. Illinois.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Here's another idea for you, Steve, if you're feeling paranoid because of *a-hem*... Why not acquire the domain name adventurebilthat.com (singular) and/or adventurebUilthats.com and have an automatic redirect to your proper site in case someone tries to mistype or misuse the AdventureBilt name? You wouldn't even have to upload that info to the search engines, but it may provide a bit of a "safety net." Oh, and your site comes up just fine for me.

bink
IndianaWill
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Help!!!

Post by IndianaWill »

Steve, check with the person who set up your web page, for one. Then contact msn to correct your new address for adventurebuilt...That may correct the problem.. On Google it does not come up under indy fedora.

On yahoo search..It comes up OK!!

You are right "HACKERS"
Hope everything works out!!

IndianWill

"I'm Mad as ####, and I'm Not Going To Take it, Anymore!" :evil:
IllinoisJones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IllinoisJones »

It is NOT hackers, they would gain nothing from doin this. it is getting reroute to a free cr*p site search engine. They wouldnt do it for fun, and honestly, no offense steve, they would have picked something that more people would see. We all know and love steves fedoras, even if we have yet to recieve one, but in all honsety, i dont think that hundreds of people are visiting his site. And the challenge goes away when very few people will see their work. They want a challenge, they wouldnt get one hacking steves site. It is merely a glitch in the MSN server database. Illininois.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Oh, but there are actually ONE or two people out there (literally) who are jealous and petty enough to try to hurt the AdventureBilt name and Steve any way possible. It's the sad truth.

bink
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

binkmeisterRick wrote:Oh, but there are actually ONE or two people out there (literally) who are jealous and petty enough to try to hurt the AdventureBilt name and Steve any way possible. It's the sad truth.

bink
I still wonder who. Can this be said on the public forum?
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

No. It's best not to go there, really.

bink
zohar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by zohar »

Looks like a glitch in MSN's search.

However, in looking at the source code for your website, you're probably going to have a difficult time listed in search engines (specifically Google) with all that repeating hidden text. Google will downrank your site for doing that.

Meta tags are great, but that "hidden" text is not so hidden to search bots. All of that hidden text is a means of artificially inflating your search results in some search engines. More search engines are actually downgrading sites that attempt to do this, so it could hurt your site in the long run.
Colby
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Colby »

Wow I didn't know that bink. Thats sad that someone is like that out there.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Yes it is, Colby. However, I think this is likely just a glitch somewhere, but I can understand Fedora's concern.

bink
zohar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by zohar »

Has the indy.beautech.us link always been the result that pops up first in MSN? What I mean is, has the redirect always been the top result, instead of the home domain?

I don't think it's an enemy vendor doing anything to this result. It's probably the result of a web developer improperly tagging the adventurebilt site's source code

Having stuff like this:

Code: Select all

<div id="HL1" style="Z-INDEX: 1; WIDTH: 689;  HEIGHT: 77; POSITION: absolute; VISIBILITY: hidden; left:0; top:0">
Adventurebilt Hats, the Fortune and Glory Fedora, represents a twelve year quest for an accurate and affordable Indiana Jones style fedora. We create one of the most accurate Indy style fedoras available to the discerning hat wearer and Indy fan. Adventurebilt Hats, the Fortune and Glory Fedora, represents a twelve year quest for an accurate and affordable Indiana Jones style fedora. We create one of the most accurate Indy style fedoras available to the discerning hat wearer and Indy fan.
Adventurebilt Hats, the Fortune and Glory Fedora, represents a twelve year quest for an accurate and affordable Indiana Jones style fedora. We create one of the most accurate Indy style fedoras available to the discerning hat wearer and Indy fan.
<br>
indy fedora, indy hat, indiana jones hat, Indiana jones fedora, fedora, beaver hats, handmade hats. film hats, raider fedoras, raider fedoras, indiana jones, raiders of the lost ark fedora, herbert johnson replicas, indiana jones replica hat, indiana jones replica fedora, brown fedoras, adventure hats, beaver felt hats
indy fedora, indy hat, indiana jones hat, Indiana jones fedora, fedora, beaver hats, handmade hats. film hats, raider fedoras, raider fedoras, indiana jones, raiders of the lost ark fedora, herbert johnson replicas, indiana jones replica hat, indiana jones replica fedora, brown fedoras, adventure hats, beaver felt hats
is the best way to get your site DE-listed by search engines.

Your Meta tag:

Code: Select all

<META NAME="keywords" CONTENT="indy fedora, indy hat, indiana jones hat, Indiana jones fedora, fedora, beaver hats, handmade hats. film hats, raider fedoras, raider fedoras, indiana jones, raiders of the lost ark fedora, herbert johnson replicas, indiana jones replica hat, indiana jones replica fedora, brown fedoras, adventure hats, beaver felt hats">
is just fine, but having that other stuff in "hidden" text is bad for business.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Has the indy.beautech.us link always been the result that pops up first in MSN? What I mean is, has the redirect always been the top result, instead of the home domain?
No, it used to be www.adventurebilthats.com Now it is that indy.beautech deal. It just changed for no apparent reason. Thanks guys. Fedora
IndianaWill
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

HELP!!!

Post by IndianaWill »

Steve,

Sent Inqury: MSN...Support. Advised of Bad web link indy.beautech.us/default / cached web crawler
Advised the correct one is www.adventurebuilthats.com
asked them to correct this and or to contact you, at home.e-mail..
I hope this will help.

IndianaWill
Modern Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Currently being torn in 20 directions, at once! (As usual ....)

Post by Modern Jones »

binkmeisterRick wrote:Here's another idea for you, Steve, if you're feeling paranoid because of *a-hem*... Why not acquire the domain name adventurebilthat.com (singular) and/or adventurebUilthats.com and have an automatic redirect to your proper site in case someone tries to mistype or misuse the AdventureBilt name? You wouldn't even have to upload that info to the search engines, but it may provide a bit of a "safety net." Oh, and your site comes up just fine for me.

bink
Hello all.

Here are the details behind Steves web hosting. I offered to host Steves site and help get him off the ground using my service (silently). He accepted and I registered www.adventurebilthats.com and www.adventurebuilthats.com from the getgo. Steve wanted "bilt", but I knew people would type "built". (Great thinking Bink! Scoundrels think alike I guess! :lol: )

Namebrand offered to create the website and I gave him access. And all has functioned wonderfully. Microsoft re-released their MSN search to compete with Google and the new Yahoo search.

As IndianaWill inquired, MSN had a bad cached link. beautech.us is my domain. I also recently did some housecleaning on the webserver. This shouldn't have disrupted domain name resolution. Apparently the way MSN learns the MetaTags (search terms) could've been their search engine mistake.

As many of you have already researched to see that it's Microsofts issue, all is well right now.

So much for the silent help! :oops: :wink: Eric Beauregard = beautech

Hope everythings better Steve. Nothing Namebrand or I did. Just Microsoft in action. I also wanted some clarification for you all.

Regards,

MJ (Eric Beau)
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Glad I was actually thinking along a good idea for a change. :lol: :wink:

bink
IndianaWill
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

HELP!!!

Post by IndianaWill »

:D :D :D :D :D

Just want to let you all know that I just recieved an e-mail from MSN..
The Problem has been corrected!!! And now the web link is
www.adventurebuilthats.com For indy fedora

Am glad to be of service to you Fedora and COW!!

All Have a Great Day!!!!!!!!!!!!

8)
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: HELP!!!

Post by Erri »

IndianaWill wrote::D :D :D :D :D

Just want to let you all know that I just recieved an e-mail from MSN..
The Problem has been corrected!!! And now the web link is
www.adventurebuilthats.com For indy fedora

Am glad to be of service to you Fedora and COW!!

All Have a Great Day!!!!!!!!!!!!

8)
This is a very good news :D
Urban Raider
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Urban Raider »

Wow, thats a great looking web page! Look only almost make one whish be in the hat market!
SHARPETOYS
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Ist to ninth

Post by SHARPETOYS »

He was first now when you type in Indy Fedora he comes up ninth. Can we fix that??? So he is first once again.
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

Everyone who has a website, big or small, should be hosting a link to Steve's Adventurebilt main-page.
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Renderking Fisk wrote:Everyone who has a website, big or small, should be hosting a link to Steve's Adventurebilt main-page.
Is there any banner i could steal from one of you? i need a link to Steve :D
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Steve, I too would like a banner to post on my site. 468x60 pixels is usually a good size.

Pyr.
SHARPETOYS
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Banner ads

Post by SHARPETOYS »

Is this what you mean??

http://www.heybannerbanner.com/
zohar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by zohar »

Look guys:

Linking to his site will help (i'm putting a link to his site on my site as well), but it won't overcome the bad code inserted in the source of his website, like I posted about above.

If you want to increase the ranking in search engines, get rid of that "hidden" text. Back in 1998 that may have increased your hit results, but now it will only drive you further down the list on search engines. You seriously need to talk to your webmaster.

http://www.google.com/webmasters/guidelines.html
Avoid hidden text or hidden links....
Don't load pages with irrelevant words....
These quality guidelines cover the most common forms of deceptive or manipulative behavior, but Google may respond negatively to other misleading practices not listed here (e.g. tricking users by registering misspellings of well-known websites).
I deal with Google, MSN, Yahoo, etc. and the classification/organization of information for a living. If he doesn't get rid of that hidden text, then his ranking will fall no matter what we do.
Mattdeckard
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mattdeckard »

/\

What he said!
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Well, hidden text is beyond me. I have no clue. With that said, I was ranked number one with MSN, and number 2 with Yahoo, if you typed in "indy fedora" The hidden text must only be a no-no on Google? Thanks fellows, this is really appreciated!! Fedora
Indiana Williams
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Williams »

Fedora wrote:I was ranked number one with MSN, and number 2 with Yahoo, if you typed in "indy fedora" The hidden text must only be a no-no on Google? Thanks fellows, this is really appreciated!! Fedora
Steve,
Glad to here you got the whole MSN thing straightened out.
Best Regards,
Joe
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

See, Steve? We take just as good care of you as you do us. :wink:

bink
zohar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by zohar »

Every website is built on "code", which can be seen if you hit this in your toolbar: View:--Source Code

Your website has a plethora of text that is "hidden" to the average user that does not look at your source code. This hidden text will hurt you in the long run, for ALL search engines. The longer that text is in your site, the quicker your rankings will go down.

http://cloakingforums.com/groupee/forum ... 4971057651

It happens with Google, Yahoo, MSN, and AltaVista. The reason they down rank pages that do this is because the page is trying to artificially inflate its ranking with all that extra text.

You seriously need to have your webmaster change it, or fire him. It is going to cost you business, because your ranking is going to continue to slide downward as long as it's in your site's code.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

See, Steve? We take just as good care of you as you do us.

bink
Yes, and I am grateful! I always said this was the best forum in the universe. :D

Fire a fellow fan and COW member? :lol: No sir, blood is thicker than water, and these guys here are just like my blood kin. :wink: But, I appreciate the advice. Since I have climbed from the position of being impossible to find on search engines, to a number 1 and number 2 spot, I think he must have done something right. :lol: Course, I only look at results, and so far they have been great!! But, I am sure Namebrand is reading this as he is a member here and my site designer. I think we shall watch, and if the site starts to move downward, instead of upward, changes will be made. Thanks again!! Fedora[[/quote]