jacket too large

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Dr. Jones Jr.
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

jacket too large

Post by Dr. Jones Jr. »

Hi all, i have owned a wested for about 2 years now, and after going into basic training, i have lost a bit of mass, and the wested was a little big to begin with, now i am practically swimming in it. Other than totalyl altering it, or getting a new one does anyone know any secrets of possibly"shrinking" a jacket without killing it? Thanks for any tips!
-Chris
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Honestly, alteration (short of buying another jacket) is the best route for you. If you're military (jumping to an assumption here, you saying you're in 'basic training'), check around your base, as almost ALL bases have a seamstress around a town with a base in it that caterers to alterations of military uniforms and the like. Most also work on leather flight jackets. If so, they can take in your Wested with no problems, as they have the expertise, as well as the sewing machines that can handle leather. We have one near us (Arnold AF base is right next door), and they've done great work for me.

Check your local phone book under 'Alterations'.

Regards! Michaelson
Dr. Jones Jr.
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Dr. Jones Jr. »

Danke Schoen, my friend, i failed to mention i was in the reserves, so im not really on a base, but i know a place that did fix a little rip on my wested. I was skeptical, however, if they would be capable of a huge alteration project. thanks again
-Chris
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Well, as an example, the shop I've used reduced a Wested size 48 to a size 44 for me, and you couldn't even tell it had been altered. Of course, it's all going to depend on how good the person is with alterations, but if they specialize in leather garments, it's worth a shot. If they work for military, they HAVE to do it right, or they get no repeat business.

Best of luck!!

Regards! Michaelson
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

You CAN shrink a jacket but I dont recommend it as while it may shrink nicely in places you want, the sleeves will also shorten and the whole thing will become tighter too. The way to do it would be by tumble drying it WITH heat.

I dont recommend this unless the jacket is at least one size too big to begin with (and these means all measurements - like sleeve length as this process will shorten the sleeves too).

It does give the jacket a great (and permanent) wrinkled appearance though.

Proceed at own risk.

Ken

PS - your best bet is to sell it and use funds to procure a new or second hand jacket