Herbert Johnson Hat Problems

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Montana Jones
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Herbert Johnson Hat Problems

Post by Montana Jones »

Before the dilemma, a little back story:

I recently acquired a used Herbert Johnson Royal Warrant on eBay. I received the hat and noticed just how bad the moth damage described in the auction was. The ribbon has a moth bite in it, the liner looks like swiss cheese and the sweatband has a large moth bite and was separating from the body. The body itself has several moth bites in it with one being over half an inch in diameter. There is also some thin spots on the brim caused by moths. I would post pics but I don't have a camera. Now the purpose of this post is not to ask about moth damage but rather to ask where I can buy a replacement sweatband and liner (and ribbon). I ended up gutting the thing while trying to resize it and the items I took off aren't worth putting back on. I have searched the web and found nothing. I am starting to get aggravated. I would just ask (and pay) Steve to fix it for me but am not sure that the hat is worth it (not saying that I will abandon it). Any suggestions? Thanks guys.

Godspeed......Hollis
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

It's the same hat i was bidding for but Fedora suggested me not to buy a hat with moth bites so i didn't. Seems that moth bites cannot be repaired.

see this thread about moths viewtopic.php?t=14006

I hope you'll be able to post pics of the hat in a way or another
Montana Jones
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Montana Jones »

Yeah Erri, it's the same one. I felt kinda bad about outbidding you but I was (and still am) without a decent fedora and when I saw a Herbert Johnson, I lept at the chance to own it. I thought, "What's a few moth bites for a Herbert Johnson?" If I only knew.......... I'm still looking to fix it up though, even with the moth holes, and use it as an adventure hat, something that I won't be too concerned about getting dirty.

Godspeed....Hollis
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

It's ok about outbidding :lol: ebay's rules :wink: Anyway i wouldnt have spent more than the starting price for a moth attacked hat. I hope for you it's still a nice Raider-look fedora. You can always experiment on it different weather conditions eheh :wink: that's what i would have done with it
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

Give Steve aka Fedora ( Adventurebilt ) a call, I'll bet he would sell you a line ,sweatband and ribbon that you need.