Need help sizing jacket

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Indiana George
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Need help sizing jacket

Post by Indiana George »

I'm going to order a Wested jacket from ebay that's premade. I'm have some concerns about what size to get. can anyone help.

I stand 5.7
I weigh 140

Measuring under the arms round the chest (loose fit) is 38 0r 39 inches

Measuring the sleeve length from the shoulder to the cuff is 22 inches

From neck to beltline is 19 inches

I'm thinking a 40 would be fine, I tried a 42 on at a store and it was about 2 sizes too big and I think a 39 might be too small.

George
GrailHunter
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by GrailHunter »

What size jackets do you normally wear?
Spooky
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Spooky »

Hi George,
Keep in mind that if you're in your teens or early twenties, you may want to order it slightly larger than your current size.
(You will probably grow a bit)

I know that other members have more specific insight/advice regarding your question.
Also be sure to review previous posts in the Leather Jacket forum.
I'm sure you'll love the jacket.

Best Regards, :D
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Yea, if you've got a suit that fits good then just order that size.
Dre
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dre »

actually i'd recommend ordering in your actual size.

i ordered slightly bigger (measured 40 ordered a 41) and it's a little too big for my likeing. it's a great jacket and ill wear it - but i wish it was a little bit smaller.

and if you do put on *alot* of weight that you cant fit into it anymore then buy another one later =P
Zooey
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by Zooey »

I'm 5'8", 159 lbs. with a 41.5" chest and a 30" waist. My suit size is 40 short. I gave Wested the requested measurements (nothing more, nothing less) and recieved a 40 short that fits perfectly.

At 140, a 40 might be a tad loose around the chest and torso, but nothing that a few months of bench and shoulder presses can't solve.

Of more concern would be the sleeve and shoulder lengths. A 40R'd probably be too long and drapey for a 5'7" frame and for a tighter, closer fit, you might wanna get a 40S.

If you plan on staying around 140 lbs., a 39 would be a better fit.

All that aside, I recommend that you just get one custom-made. It takes longer, sure, but you'll end up getting the best jacket you've ever owned.
Indiana George
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana George »

I think your right, Ive been 140 since I was 17 and its never gone up or down, I'm 34 now. I think a 39 would be fine, the custome sounds great but I'm way too impatient. I believe the premades are goatskin, I like the color of it but I'd also like one to distress the heck out of someday:)

George
Rusty Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Raleigh, NC, Running from the Havitos (my (ex)girlfriends' parents)

Post by Rusty Jones »

I prefer smaller fitting jackets

I ordered mine actually a hair smaller and love it, keep in mind, indy had fairly short sleeves on his jacket, at least the Raiders, which is the one I modeled my Wested after...
Snakes... why did it have to be snakes?
I measured from the shoulder seam of a well fitting jacket to my wrist, (even though it turned about to be around 3/4 of an inch shorter than the jacket's natural sleeve... Glad I went with the shortened... it feels right)
Indiana George
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana George »

My message from Peter...

Sounds like a 40 regular would fit the bill, I have authentic brown goat jackets in stock with £10 discount.

Cheers

Peter

Gotta go with what the man says, plus I like to wear sweaters in the winter and dont want my jacket to be too tight. George