Things to do with a dorfman.

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

IllinoisJones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Things to do with a dorfman.

Post by IllinoisJones »

I was thinking about destruction by fire.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

I suggest shooting it with a large caliber rifle. And be careful. These things have been known to charge when wounded. :wink: Fedora
Glurrk
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Glurrk »

Crush one with something heavy.
:evil:
schwammy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by schwammy »

Lock it in your basement and call Geraldo Rivera. Tell him to bring a camera crew - you think you've found Lucky Luciano's secret vault!
Spooky
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Spooky »

I plan to give it to my new dog ... as a chew toy.

Go Boy!
Go fetch your Dorfman!
Good Boy!

:wink:
Dre
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dre »

give it to me? :D

if you're going to throw it out or destroy one i'd gladly take it
IndianaWill
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Things To do with a Dorman.

Post by IndianaWill »

:lol: I HUNG MINE ON THE SIDE OF A WATER HYDRANT, AND ALL THE DOGS IN TOWN THANKED ME, FOR GIVING THEM SOMETHING THEY COULD AIM FOR, AND SHOOT!! :P

IndianaWill 8)

Have a Great Day!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IndianaWill
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Things to do with a Dorfman

Post by IndianaWill »

:D Those dogs raised their hind legs and saluted!!!!

Who Rah!!! :lol:

Have a Greater Day !!!!

IndianaWill 8)
Flattery
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Flattery »

I gave mine to a neighborhood kid that liked it.
prairiejones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: In the damp jungles of Peru, drinking Dewar's with Pagey.

Post by prairiejones »

I soaked mine in hot water and tossed it in the dryer so that it would fit my daughter. It worked. Not a very "Raiders'" bash, but it fits her.

Pics to follow.
Andiana
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Southern California - The home of my 'home away from home'...Disneyland...

Post by Andiana »

Where's the love people? Dorfmans are our friends......

(looks around) :oops:

Those rip-offs are tricksies and false.....my preciousss....

But..but Dorfmans are our friends....our friends.....

No....it lies to you...betrays you....hurts you....Stupid Dorfmans! The material burns us! It burns us!

I'm not listening...not listening....

It's not accurate.....stupid tear-drop crown! MY PRECIOUSS!!!
Go away...I hates you......

-------------------------------------------

THANK YOU :D
Spooky
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Spooky »

Andiana,
GREAT PIC ! 8)

I also tried this on my Dorfman:
... Leave now and never come back!
(Didn't work)

Heh Heh, wait till my dog gets a hold of it:
She's always hungry. She always needs to feed.
She must eat. All she gets is nasty kibbles ...
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

hahahaha...in all seriousness, I have tried many times to make it look passable in order to have something for the folks w/ NO money for this hobby. i.e., how to get in at $30 and start trying.

I'm finally upgrading due to an unexpected raise at work (:shock:!), so I plan to make a study out of my DP...I will try to go Mythbusters on it, to see what it will and will NOT do. I will even try my best for a Mythbusters ending. No more hints...hopefully I'll have something for ya'll in a couple of months. ;)

Including, possibly, the only Dorfman reshaping tutorial for the truly IndyOnA Budget. :D
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Dre wrote:give it to me? :D

if you're going to throw it out or destroy one i'd gladly take it
That's my favorite option. I remember Minnesota Jones telling me about how surprisingly good his fur felt DP was. But even if it's a wool one, pass it along to someone in need of a hat. Those Dorfmans served many a young Indy fan well when they first came out, especially since they where about the only option for a good while. If it's going to be used as a hardcore "field test," that's one thing. But to just sit and destroy it when someone could use it bothers me a little. To quote John Hiatt:

"Don't know who they think they are/smashing a perfectly good guitar."

Let the hat live. :wink:

bink
JPdesign
Vendor

Post by JPdesign »

if i is a fur felt and fairly new you could sent out for a re-blocking. Look at what I did with Indiana Texas girl's.

Which reminds me, I have gotten all of my equipment together and a pretty well set up to start doing repairs and re blocking while I finalize me bodies and ribbon.

If anybody is interested drop me a pm.

Jimmy
Last edited by JPdesign on Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

That's great news, Jimmy! Will you eventually have a website for your offerings? The more the merrier, eh?

bink
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

JPdesign wrote:if i is a fur felt and fairly new you could sent out for a re-blocking. Look at what I did with Indiana Texas girl's.

Which reminds me, I have gotten all of my equipment together and a pretty well set up to start doing repairs and re blocking while I finalize me bodies and ribbon.

If anybody is interested drop me an im.

Jimmy
About durn time too, young man! :? :wink:

High regards! Michaelson
JPdesign
Vendor

Post by JPdesign »

I will eventually have a website, and hopefully a store front in Fort Worth. the website wont be up for a while as I am still working on bodies and then haveto produce hats.

If there are any venture capitalist in the group please let me know, I am working up a business proposal for opening a store and making it my full time job.

thanks
jimmy
Minnesota Jones
Admin Emeritus

Post by Minnesota Jones »

Yeah, my wife's fur felt dorfman isn't half bad after I rebashed it for her. She likes it, and that's good enough for me. :)

Jimmy, long time no hear! Hope all's well with you!
Indiana Neri
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Rhode Island: The Tiny State That's Actually NOT An Island...and no, I'm not from "Quahog"

Post by Indiana Neri »

Check This Out

I received the Herrington Catalog a few days ago and today, when I came home from class, I found the book open to this item and it was circled ](*,) :whip: . My poor family...if they only knew :? :lol:

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

AT least they are thinking of you!! :D There was a time mine used to hide catalogs from me when they had things like this. :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Neri
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Rhode Island: The Tiny State That's Actually NOT An Island...and no, I'm not from "Quahog"

Post by Indiana Neri »

True, Michaelson.

BTW, What tight pinch are they refering to? If it's the same hat that Disney has outside the Adventure Post six years ago, there is definatley no tight "Raiders" Pinch...it barely makes it as a Last Crusade bash, let alone a Raiders bash.

PS:Maybe Herrington knows something we don't: All of a sudden Indy "hats" and Safari/Adventure shirts are getting more common?!?! :-k
Conspiracy....I think NOT! :lol:
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

binkmeisterRick wrote:But even if it's a wool one, pass it along to someone in need of a hat. Those Dorfmans served many a young Indy fan well when they first came out, especially since they where about the only option for a good while. If it's going to be used as a hardcore "field test," that's one thing.
Thanks for the nod, Bink. If I don't completely wear it out with what I'm thinking of doing, it will end up either in my daughter's collection or passed on to friends who keep borrowing it from me. ;)

And if both my kin and kind reject it :shock: I'll keep it in the workshop for some future Halloween when someone joins on Oct 23 and are just STUCK. ;)
Doh
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Doh »

"Our wool fedora is the same hat worn by Harrison Ford in all 3 adventure films, right down to the pinched crown..."

Oh, except his was fur.

And the crown was different.

And, oh, yeah, his didn't have the "Indiana Jones" pin in the ribbon.

But other than that, kids, it's the EXACT same one!!
Floribama Steve
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Floribama Steve »

You wanna know something sad? I bought one of them!

And now I'm trying to sell it on eBay. :roll:
Indiana Williams
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Williams »

I use to want a Dorfman. When I was a little kid I had a subsription to the Star Wars Insider and,I used to see them in there and I thought they were the coolest hats :oops: but luckily I held out and now here I am, years later and I own an Adventurebilt. 8)
- Joe
Dre
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dre »

i wouldnt mind a dorfman if it was really cheap. reason being because i cant warrant much money on an indy hat - im not so sure id wear it much. however i'd want a cheap sorta close-enough hat to wear at dress-up parties or places where a hat would be appropriate.
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

Another thing you could do with a collection of them is assemble a really bad group of actors and give them the hats so they can wear them while doing a horrible production of Guys and Dolls.
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

#-o
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

Two words - Oil Filter.
GraveRobberGreg
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by GraveRobberGreg »

I just finished my home theater and was looking for one to hang on my wall. I have a Peter Brothers hat but thats the one I wear and when not wearing it goes right back into the box. I have a IOAB and a MKVII thats going on the wall too. If anyone would like to donate one of their DP's to me I would more then happy to hang it in their honor. I would even post pics :D Dont destroy something just beacause you got something better.

MY HOME THEATER NEEDS YOU! :lol: :lol:

I will even pay for shipping....that is the elast I could do :D
Floribama Steve
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Just shipping? Dang, we almost had a deal there... :( :wink:
Dre
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dre »

just a thought actually - how much would you guys (who have a dorfman) take to part with one? keeping in mind i wouldnt pay very much for one as im just looking for a *very* cheap hat =P
Floribama Steve
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

I'm trying to get rid a of a fur felt Dorfman, it's relatively inexpensive when you compare it to the AB or the Keppler. It's in the classifieds.
Dre
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dre »

that dorfman is going for 80 us? an akubra would be cheaper for me to get (shipping included with akubra and not with that one)

on a side note: anyone notice how indy's hat in emporer's tomb isn't screen accurate? looks like a dorfman to me
Colby
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Colby »

Dre wrote:that dorfman is going for 80 us? an akubra would be cheaper for me to get (shipping included with akubra and not with that one)

on a side note: anyone notice how indy's hat in emporer's tomb isn't screen accurate? looks like a dorfman to me
I have noticed his hat was innacurate. I even tried to think up ways to mod the game in order to fix his hat. :P No luck so far though. The rest of his gear however looks really accurate to me. If I recall though I think one time I saw a crest inside of the hat when it got knocked off in the game. I could be crazy though. 8-[ Sometimes I find myself looking for a canteen like his just to put in my mkvii. :lol:
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Guys - I don't have my new hat yet, so I'm not parting w/ my DP yet. I'm also thinking of doing something with it for the board as a whole.

If I don't accidentally harm it in the process, and those w/ first dibs (offline friends) are willing to release their dibs, I'll consider sending it along to another Skywalker...er, Jones.

Too far off to consider it at the moment, though, so it's unlikely I'd get it to anyone before Halloween or the QM. It'll be down the road a piece.

J
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Floribama Steve wrote:I'm trying to get rid a of a fur felt Dorfman, it's relatively inexpensive when you compare it to the AB or the Keppler. It's in the classifieds.
That's a Dorfman? I wonder how much they changed over time...the shape looks the same as mine did out of the box, but there's no liner in most Dorfmans...or may just not in the wool (cheaper) one. That one does look like a better hat, but still the wrong block and shape that DP uses. Hmm.

Can't read anything in the liner...does it say something in there?
Floribama Steve
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

No, it doesn't say anything, just some aussie-looking line art of the hat with a rock-looking design around it.
Andiana
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Southern California - The home of my 'home away from home'...Disneyland...

Post by Andiana »

I just recorded something for you Dorfman haters -
It includes my impression of a certain skinny little character from Lord of the Rings. ENJOY!

We Hates Dorfmans!

(that isn't my best, for some reason the microphone makes my voice higher! Also you may not understand a WORD I'm saying!)

:lol:
Vladimir Berkov
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Vladimir Berkov »

LOL!
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Okay, it's DP bashing, but it's funny. :lol:

Don't worry about the pitch, Andiana, I thought it sounded dead on Smeagol. ;)
Indiana Williams
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Williams »

very nice andy :lol: , I could have sworn that I heard Smeagol himself speaking.
Best Regards,
Joe
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Colby wrote:
Dre wrote:on a side note: anyone notice how indy's hat in emporer's tomb isn't screen accurate? looks like a dorfman to me
I have noticed his hat was innacurate. I even tried to think up ways to mod the game in order to fix his hat. :P No luck so far though. The rest of his gear however looks really accurate to me. If I recall though I think one time I saw a crest inside of the hat when it got knocked off in the game.
It seems that Indy wears a Dorfman without a pin and with a HJ crest. But it could be worse, here's some of Indy's previous game hats:

Spooky
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Spooky »

[quote="Andiana"]I just recorded something for you Dorfman haters -
It includes my impression of a certain skinny little character from Lord of the Rings. ENJOY!

We Hates Dorfmans!

(that isn't my best, for some reason the microphone makes my voice higher! Also you may not understand a WORD I'm saying!)

:lol:[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Well Done, Andiana.
That was great!

That does it ... I suggest we have a Dorfman torture ceremony onboard the QM ... who's with me?
I'll bring my piece of @#$% DP and we can mash it, sit on it, stomp on it, hang it from the ceiling and whip it, ... kill the Dorfman. Don't let it live. Burn it. Burn it I say ... whew, I feel better now.

:twisted: :wink:
Andiana
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Andiana »

Spooky wrote:[quote="Andiana"]I just recorded something for you Dorfman haters -

We Hates Dorfmans!

:lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Well Done, Andiana.
That was great!

That does it ... I suggest we have a Dorfman torture ceremony onboard the QM ... who's with me?
I'll bring my piece of @#$% DP and we can mash it, sit on it, stomp on it, hang it from the ceiling and whip it, ... kill the Dorfman. Don't let it live. Burn it. Burn it I say ... whew, I feel better now.

:twisted: :wink:[/quote]

I try my best with Smeagol :D

Yeah! We could do like a Temple of Doom thing and we could like burn the hat by lowering it into a lava pit. :)
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

I gave mine to a kid at a game store. He and I ended up being friends because of it, and I look after him now when his mother is away at work for extra hours.

Oh yeah, his mom and I are friends, too. :wink:

Dorfmans can be good for something.
Indy_Railok
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indy_Railok »

Strider wrote: Oh yeah, his mom and I are friends, too. :wink:
Spooky
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Spooky »

Strider wrote:I gave mine to a kid at a game store. He and I ended up being friends because of it, and I look after him now when his mother is away at work for extra hours.
Oh yeah, his mom and I are friends, too. :wink:
Dorfmans can be good for something.
Hey Strider:
Yeah, you're right ...
... goat food, firestarter, doggy chew-toy, boot buffer ... etc.
:wink: :D

Hope everything is going well, Tuck.