A mk 7's larger cousin?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Vannevar
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

A mk 7's larger cousin?

Post by Vannevar »

Hiya guys and gals,

I saw this on the nomad uk site:
http://www.nomadtravel.co.uk/store/cust ... ctid=21522

It reminds me of a mk7 and I wondered (they also do a mk7 replica) if this was an old bag of some sort being reproduced. I thought might be of interest as some time ago there was a thread about what else indy would carry things in apart from a mk7. I'm going up to town tommorow and I'll pop in and let you know if its any good.

Best,
IndyTaz
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyTaz »

Hi Vannevar...I think it is a great bag/backpack although the "Raider" model I think refers to it being Tomb "Raider" ish...I wouldn't mind one though. Tell us if you buy one.

Regards
TAZ
Vannevar
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Vannevar »

Hiya guys, I went into nomad and its kind of strange. On one half the shop floor is travel agents and on the other luggage, some travel clothes etc, temporay tooth enamel, all sorts of med supplies. They had a shirt which reminded me of a futuristic indy shirt. Anyway. I had a look at the "Raider" bag. The inside pocket is about as wide as a mk7 and seems relatively well insulated but not waterpoof. I guess one would need some scotchgaurd spray or summit. It seems relatively versitile but it doesnt have that much space on the inside. Good for a few notepads or possibly a laptop (though without the water protection....). Keeping you appraised, one of your men in London.
hank jr
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Another Bag

Post by hank jr »

Hey!

I have a suggestion for another non-indy indy bag. Before I went to China on my Fulbright this summer, I bought a shoulder bag at Target made by Eddie Bauer. I bought because it was slightly larger than an MK7 and had a zipper over the main compartment. It can hold a legal pad, toilet paper (a must in China), a journal, several maps, books and a bottle of water. Also, it is water proof.

It has been field tested and worked great. It isn't too Indy but very functional.

I'll try to attach a picture below. Hey, could sombody tell me how to post a picture?
Vannevar
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Another Bag

Post by Vannevar »

hank jr wrote:Hey!

I have a suggestion for another non-indy indy bag. Before I went to China on my Fulbright this summer, I bought a shoulder bag at Target made by Eddie Bauer. I bought because it was slightly larger than an MK7 and had a zipper over the main compartment. It can hold a legal pad, toilet paper (a must in China), a journal, several maps, books and a bottle of water. Also, it is water proof.

It has been field tested and worked great. It isn't too Indy but very functional.

I'll try to attach a picture below. Hey, could sombody tell me how to post a picture?
Dude, that sounds awesome. post pics! If you look in the options section when you write a post (on the lower left) click BB code and check out the IMG code, or just post a link to where the picture is stored on the internet.
hank jr
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by hank jr »

Hey all!!

If this picture link works, this is me and the Target Eddie Bauer bag. Like I said, it is a real carry all. There are three zipper compartments: one main one that will hold a host of items, a smaller under the flap pocket that will hold pens, cards and a digital camera, and a flap pocket that can hold change and flat items. It is also water proof. It was field tested in China and took a pretty good beating from Beijing to the rural mountain villages of Southwest China. It isn't real indy but I would highly recommend it as an alternate.

One more thing, my gear, like my life, is inspired by Indiana Jones but not screen accurate.

Hank

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/edkarshne ... .dir=/2027
Vannevar
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Vannevar »

Dude, that is a sweet bag. Nice that its waterproof, can you give us more data on the bag itself? Product number or anything? It reminds me of the "Raider" bag. At least in shape. nice find.
Division 6
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Division 6 »

K on the run
Vendor

Post by K on the run »

Division 6 wrote:They also carry an Indy bag.
http://www.nomadtravel.co.uk/store/cust ... ctid=19522

D6
I bought that bag some time ago from:
http://www.trekdirect.co.uk/acatalog/On ... ls_27.html
It's not a MKVII replica more like the MK VI I think. It has a zipper and two extra pockets on the back.
I removed the strap and made a leather strap for it. I also dyed it green and distressed it some. All in all a very handy bag that I use every day.
You can read more here:
viewtopic.php?t=11980&highlight=

-K
Edit: misspellings :oops: [/i]
Last edited by K on the run on Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vannevar
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Vannevar »

Yeah, I really really like the zip. bit of rain and thief protection.
Dre
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dre »

anyone know of anywhere in australia (preferably melbourne!) that carry those travelproof bags? and how long is the strap that comes with them? long enough to hang it over the shoulder to sit at the hip like indy bag/straps?

otherwise i might order a replica mk vi from here:
http://www.lawranceordnance.com/new/equ ... ction.html

but then im not quite sure where to pick up a strap that's cheap (any strap will do. again preferably ones that are able bought in australia and not ordered over the internet internationally)
Vannevar
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Vannevar »

47 inches.