Distressed look in Last crusade.

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

IllinoisJones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Distressed look in Last crusade.

Post by IllinoisJones »

I was watching last crusade last night, and couldn't help but notice that the main areas of discoloration and distressing are along the strich marks, zipper, and collar. Illinois.
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

And the big spot on the back, and elbows

Ken
IllinoisJones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IllinoisJones »

Why do you think that is? I can't imagine a collare getting that much wear. Illinois
IllinoisJones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IllinoisJones »

It looks as if they used a different method to do so as well. Illinois
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

Honestly, I dont think a lot of thought was put into it. They were given the jackets and told to rough them up, so they did. Provided they were all consistently roughed up I dont think the exact nature of the distressing in relation to the other films would have been given too much thought.

Ken
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

Personally, my favourite jacket is the Raiders jacket. And I don't think it was distressed very much. It looks aged, cracked and wrinkled - but not "distressed" in the way the other jackets were. It's still basically a uniform colour
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

whiskyman wrote:Personally, my favourite jacket is the Raiders jacket. And I don't think it was distressed very much. It looks aged, cracked and wrinkled - but not "distressed" in the way the other jackets were. It's still basically a uniform colour
Depends what scene you look at. The opening Temple scenes it looks almost brand new and not so in the truck chase (obviously)

Ken
Flattery
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Flattery »

Watched it the other night too and noticed that huge spot on the back also. Kinda dig it, though.
Me too. 8) Even though the distressed areas may not appear to be from natural wear, it is very aesthetic. See below how I distressed my jacket to match:

viewtopic.php?t=13246
IllinoisJones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IllinoisJones »

Beautiful work Flattery. Looks amazing. What did you use?
Flattery
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Flattery »

Just some carefully applied acetone and sandpaper -- the exact grit I don't know.

My jacket is goatskin, and I'm utterly convinced that the jacket in the movie (or at least, the jacket that we see through most of LC) is lambskin, so it's hard to get the "flaky" effect seen on the movie jacket.

...I also rubbed lightly against a couple brick walls while walking around one day. :roll:
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

This is how it's done:

IllinoisJones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IllinoisJones »

That turned out beautifully, what type of leather did you choose?
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

That's Wested's original dark brown English labmskin. Ages like a charm. :-)
Flattery
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Flattery »

Now that's a very LC jacket. :clap:
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Oh no... pooooor jacket! Sorry i cant help it, i always suffer when i see jackets distressed like that!

Nevertheless I can appreciate the good distressing work :wink:
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Don't worry, it was distressed with care. Every seam was sanded with the utmost attention to detail. The jacket only LOOKS fifteen years old! :-)
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

whipwarrior wrote: The jacket only LOOKS fifteen years old! :-)
in 15 years it will look like 30 years old... that's what scares me about the distress! :?
IllinoisJones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IllinoisJones »

But it may look fifteen years distressed in other areas, thats my fear with doing mine.
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

Just a little toooo much, IMO. :wink:

have a nice day.
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

Indiana_Tone wrote:Actually, in 15 years it'll probably still look 15 years distressed. THAT'S the beauty of it. :D
Exactly!! The things is you could buy a Wested brand new and after wearing ti every day for 15 years it could possibly look one or mayye two years old if you are lucky. I mean distress marks like you see on whip warrior's jacket (INCREDIBLE work by the way - your jacket is awesome man!!!) will NOT happen naturally. The only way anything like that would happen naturally would be if you did things in real life which emulated the distressing process. So far example - sanding and scuffing done with sandpaper or a brick - in real life to create this effect you would need to be abrading the jacket repeatedly against a very rough surfance. Now unless you are running and then sliding on the ground on gravel or something I dont see how this kind of thing is going to happen in every day life.

The only thing that I have ever done whilst wearing the jacket that actually resulted in noticable distressing in any way was being dragged behind a vehicle (no joke - we were taking a road trip through the desert and thought why not). It worked really well and for the reason I just mentioned above.

Ken
IllinoisJones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IllinoisJones »

That is true, and it is those marks that igve it the Indy look and feel.
IllinoisJones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IllinoisJones »

I have to agree with IndianaKen and withdraw a statement I made earlier. The jacket looks great whipwarrior, and time will only help enhance the look and feel of the jacket.
M.L. Jones
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by M.L. Jones »

Regarding the original start of the thread and the Last Crusade jacket. If you look at the scenes on the beach, birds scene ect.., notice how easily Indy's jacket blows and sways with the breeze, the leather seems increadibly thin and lightweight, almost like a shirt thickness of leather. I believe some heavy duty distresssing or thinning of the leather was done to this jacket to make it so light. Ford often complained about how hot he was in these jackets while filming. I'll bet wardrobe thinned the leather out for him somehow. Take another look at those secenes.

M.L. Jones
JAN
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by JAN »

Great jacket, Whipwarrior.

Superb distressing :clap:

Best regards

JAN
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Thanks for the compliments guys. That is my favorite jacket of the three Westeds that I own, and my personal favorite (even more than the new HH). There's a certain kind of comfort lambskin has that no thicker leather can match. I think it's the way the jacket conforms to your body position no matter how you are sitting. Great for long train or airplane trips! :D