Whips on the Tonight Show Sept 15th

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Canasta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Whips on the Tonight Show Sept 15th

Post by Canasta »

Well I hate posts like this because I feel like its a "look at me, I Blowing my horn" kinda thing, but I knew you would want to know.
I thought it was a long shot, but I just got off the phone with a producer from the Tonight Show with Jay Leno around 2 hours ago (back story following) and will be flying out to L.A. on Wednesday to do some whip cracking on the show which will air Thursday, Sept, 15th.
I'll be doing it during the "Dinner for Four" segment.
I really hope that you can all tune in and boost the ratings!
It is really short notice, and I have a lot to get ready for but I'm really excited too.

They actually called me around two months ago while I was in Ohio at the WWAC regional convention with Paul Nolan, Adam Winrich, Dan Trout (thefish) and Cathy (one of our newest members.)
Turns out that they read a small article about me in the Tribune and went to my website. I don't have any video on the site yet, so that was one of the things that they requested as well as some basic info on the show.
Dan video taped a bunch of stuff for me, some of which is included on the dvd I put together and sent to them.
The entire staff was on vacation until the 6th of September.
I got a call Thursday to let me know that they would review the dvd and today i got the call. I really thought that if I DID get the call, it would be for sometme down the road, but this is quick.
So. I'll do my best to represent us whip crackers (they really want me to dress in cowboy gear. I'm hoping I can talk them out of it.) I realy owe this one to "Indy".

Peace, and all the best!
Chris Camp
AKA - Canasta
GraveRobberGreg
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by GraveRobberGreg »

Good luck! I will make sure to catch the show. I need all the help I can get when it comes to whip cracking. Maybe I can learn something. :lol:
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

Excellent news, Chris. I am sure that you will do us all proud. Good luck. I will be sure to tune in.
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

That's awesome, man! Congrats. Leno is one of the only stars I've ever met and he was an incredibly nice, down to earth guy. I'm betting he'll be very impressed with your skills.
I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to tell them that it was Indy who brought you to the whip and maybe explain to them that he's probably the biggest icon with the whip as his calling card and it'd make perfect sense for you to wear a little gear to represent.

Good luck and don't forget to post again so we don't forget to watch!
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Congratulations Chris. No need to be modest, you’re a great representative for the sport. Thanks for letting us know, You can bet I’ll be tuning in!

Good luck and all the Best.

Dan
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

Congrats! I despise Leno and the Tonight show @#$%, but I'll watch for your sake! COWBOY GEAR! :shock: BLECHHH!! Wear a fedora and safari shirt- they'll think it's a cowboy hat, they're dopes! They wouldn't know the difference between a cowboy hat and a fedora if it jumped up and kicked 'em!

have a nice day.
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

CONGRATS!!!!

I'm really excited for you and now I guess I'll have to stay home on Thursday night so I can watch it!

-Adam
Feraud
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Feraud »

Congrats! I will tune in.
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

That means it will air 1-2 weeks after that here in Sweden. I'll make sure I'll catch it. Very cool! :)

Oh, and you should wear one of these;
http://www.cafepress.com/nim3.3513296 8)

Regards,
Swindiana
The_Edge
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The_Edge »

Congratulations Chris! This is very exciting news. I'll be sure to tune in as well.
randystokes
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by randystokes »

Congratulations! I agree with Texas Raider -- wear Indy gear, and they'll think it's cowboy gear!

Now, get crackin'!

Randy
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

Chris,
Wow - do toot your own horn, especially in this context. You are doing the sport a great service by being on Leno.
midwestwhips
Vendor

Post by midwestwhips »

Hey Chris,

Congrats!!! I don't think I've ever been so excited for another person before, hahhaha. It'll be great! I can't wait to see it!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's so cool!!!

I can't wait to hear some behind the scenes stories. :-)

Regards,

Paul Nolan
MidWestWhips
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Very COOL! Setting up the DVR to catch it - thanks for the heads up!

Congratulations!
J
Swindiana wrote:Oh, and you should wear one of these;
http://www.cafepress.com/nim3.3513296 8)
I agree w/ Swindy completely. That would make the look. Don't forget the matching hat. ;)
jabahutt70
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by jabahutt70 »

Congratulations Chris! They couldn't have asked a better representative to the sport of whip-cracking! I'll watch for sure and tell a few friends also. Hey Texas, you sounded a lil harsh towards Leno and crew. Did they turn you down or something, lol. Just kidding, I know many ppl who don't like that show.
Anyway, good luck Chris and have fun!

Jabahutt70
USNavyBlueAngel
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by USNavyBlueAngel »

CONGRATULATIONS, Chris! Yes, I still very much remember hearing the message when we were in Ohio. It's great that you have officially been booked. I am incredibly happy for you!! :D

I will be in Texas when that show airs though, but I'm sure we can wrangle up a TV to watch it on. If nothing else, I'll set the TiVo to record it.

Too bad you can't bring the fire whips - that would really impress the heck out of them! (silly fire codes!) LOL! :wink:

Can't wait to hear all about it after you return! Have fun in Los Angeles!!

Cathy
thefish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by thefish »

Rock on Chris! I'm with Paul on the excitement level. I was excited for you at Annie Oakley, and I'm excited for you now!

Good luck, my friend, break a leg, (well, not literally...but...you know.)

And remember to tell the cameraman that to REALLY get that nifty "no-blur" effect on the fall and cracker of the whip, open the iris wide and set your shutter speed to about 1500-1700. And if that doesn't endear you to Leno and his people, call Jay "Skunk Hair." ;-)

Seriously, have a blast! Blow them away! We're rooting for ya!

-Dan
whammerjammer
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

tonight show

Post by whammerjammer »

That's just too cool. And you have every right to toot your own horn. None of this would have come to pass without you having put it together. It's remarkable what one clip on a local show can do. From live in St. Louis to live in Hollywood. I think it's great that you are bringing the sport of whip cracking to the masses. You have all of my respect and admiration. I wish you the best of luck and I will be watching.

Best Regards,

Jay Lankford
Canasta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Canasta »

Hi Guys
Thanks so much for all the kind words and encouragement.
I'm just to the point of getting excited. Your posts have helped me take the time to get fired up. I think it will hit me tomorrow when I get on the plane.
Today has been incredibly busy. The short notice made me really have to scurry. I spent most of the morning talking with press folks setting up interviews for before and after I return, not to mention just trying to get all the packing together. The producers aren't really sure what they want, so that means that I have to take a variety of stuff. (Maybe I should just wear some jeans and that fabulous Michaelson Rocks t-shirt. Awesome choice Swindiana)
Thanks again for all the really kind words.
I'll do my best and I'll try to take lots of pics for posting later.
(I' also gonna hit Donald Trump up for some work. It's not like he can't afford my show.)

Peace!
Chris
Spooky
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Spooky »

Break a leg, Canasta. :D
I've already set my DVR.

Best Regards,
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

I would wear the "Gear", Chris. You seem to have a good collection.

thefish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by thefish »

...And if you do that "Long Whip, Short Target (Oooooohhhhhhhh....) trick with the piece of spaghetti in your mouth, you MIGHT even end up with that nifty Harrison Ford chin scar. :lol:

-Dan
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

I thought it was "BIG WHIP, little target, OOOOHHH..."

I really want to see Jay hold a target in his mouth for Chris.
Indiana Williams
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Williams »

winrichwhips wrote:I really want to see Jay hold a target in his mouth for Chris.
or he could rest a target on Jay's chin. :wink:
anyway congrats chris, ill be watching in support.Good luck
Best Regards,
Joe
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

I would wear the "Gear", Chris. You seem to have a good collection.
YES! YES! To Sergei must you listen. Your gear, you must wear.
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

Well, you can see why they asked for the cowboy costume, but it was cool. Wish they'd have let you do more, Chris, but I'm sure it was an awesome experience.

Congrats
Alabama Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Alabama Jones »

That was pretty cool. :D
Feraud
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Feraud »

What a cool national premiere Canasta. Great job!

I see Jay Leno was a bit shy about holding the target in his mouth. He had a female audience member stand in his place. :wink:

It was not Indy gear but the outfit looked great!
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

Yeah, I just watched it.

I bet if Chris would have answered a simple 'yes' to her question of ever having hit himself, and did it in a southern, Marlboro Man type drawl, she would have picked the right guy. Big props for Chris, though, he acted just like I thought he would :wink:

Oh yeah, Chris, you shouldn't have shaved; should've gone with the 5 o'clock shadow. Whipcrackers are supposed to be bad boys, I think. Well, what am I talking about; I guess I'll keep my yap shut until I get on the tonight show.

But hey, he got the target in one shot.

Now I want to know all of the people Chris got to meet. The Donald?

-Adam
Alabama Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Alabama Jones »

Feraud wrote: I see Jay Leno was a bit shy about holding the target in his mouth. He had a female audience member stand in his place. :wink:
Yeah, its not like he wouldn't have been protected by the giant chin. :wink: :lol:

Will be interested to hear what kind of whip you used Canasta.
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Chris just caught the show, Great job! Can't wait to hear the all behind the scene details of the experience and more importantly if you met Jenny McCarthy? 8)

Dan

By the way, cool hat :lol:
Last edited by BullWhipBorton on Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
thefish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by thefish »

Will be interested to hear what kind of whip you used Canasta.
With the lighting, and my generally crummy TV reception, (no cable or DSS,) it was hard to tell, but it looked to me like the 6' Strain that he did Guinness with. It might have also be a shorter whip, (a short, black and red Strain Lonestar of his that I really like,) because it looked considerably darker than the Guiness whip Joe made for him, and that the Tonight Show studio has a REALLY low light grid, (noticed that you stooped a little as you cut the flower, Chris! Great job considering the obstacles!)

And on a more personal note, the slow motion recap they did after Chris cut the flower looked like H-E-Double-Hockey-Sticks! Last 2 foot of the whip was just a BLUR! And those are HIGH DEF Sony Cameras! I SAID they shoulda used a faster shutter speed! :lol:

Just joking! Great job Chris! Have a safe trip back to Springfield, and let us in on the backstage poop when you get home, (so...Jenny McCarthy...Bullwhips...If you were in the same Green Room, DON'T tell me she didn't say something! Did you get to talk to the Donald about doing a show?)

-Dan
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Argh...killing...me...to...be...on...west...coast...still...twenty...minutes...to...go...auuuggggh!

Can't wait! ;)

J
midwestwhips
Vendor

Post by midwestwhips »

Hey Everyone,

I talked to Chris a little bit ago, and I'll let Chris tell ya'll about the cool behind the scenes stuff. But he had a blast, and even though it was a quick 2 minutes and 40second segment, it still looked great.

He's flying back tomorrow. And the whip he used was a Joe Strain Lonestar 6 foot. And the "Imposter" guy(Hank, who's real name is Melvin) was holding chris's Terry Jacka 8 foot whip.

Again, Congrats' Chris!!! Next Stop Connan!!!

Regards,

Paul Nolan
MidWestWhips
thefish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by thefish »

Sayeth Paul
Next Stop Connan!!!
I don't think that's such a good for Chris or any other whip cracker to appear with Conan...

I mean. The whips are cool, but I don't think they stand much of a chance against the "Sword of the Father..."

I'll get my coat now...

-Dan
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Chris,

Are you left handed? IIRC you used your left hand to hit the target. Was there any discussion before the show with the girl so that she would be sure not to move? And, so that she would know what she was getting herself in for?
Colby
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Colby »

I was thinking of the same thing. After he did the crack I said wow and he did that left handed. I can't do much with mine accurately.
thefish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by thefish »

You know, I hadn't noticed. So, I went back and looked through a bunch of footage I have of Chris from Annie Oakley, and low and behold, he's targeting left handed.

Paul, could probably tell you first hand if he didn't have his eyes closed when Chris was using him as a "target boy" :lol:
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

I guess I must have remembered correctly then.

I am curious to know if they told the girl anything. They did it so fast, they didn't even tell her not to move or to close her eyes or explain anything to her. Just, "here, stick this in your mouth, stick your head out a little further". CRACK! It was over.

I even thought that she may have been a plant in the audience and that she knew how to hold the flower. If she was, she did a pretty good acting job, like when she asked "Hank" to wink at her if he was the real expert.
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Chris, firstly it's wondeful to hear that you got a chance to do this! :P

Secondly, don't worry about 'showing off'. I'm sure you did an excellent job! (Any way we can see this footage online?) :D
Spooky
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Spooky »

Chris,
That was awesome.
Very funny and impressive !
Bet you had some last minute butterflies ...
Can't wait to get the skinny on backstage/rehearsal, etc.

Great job! :whip:
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Awesome shot, Chris. I woke up my wife so she could see the segment as well - she asked why you didn't wear your Indy Gear as well! :)

We were both VERY impressed - you looked calm and cool, like there was no question you were going to hit it.

I've been in the audience for other 'live' shows...was that done in one take?

Congratulations!
J
Canasta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Canasta »

Hi everyone!
Thanks for all the enthusiasm and good luck wishes.
i just got back from L.A. a little while ago and am packing up for a weekend festival in Columbia, MO.
I'll be back late on Sunday.
I can't wait to tell you all how it went. It was a really great time and I'll share lot's of good details when I get back.
I can tell you this though. I appreciate all the after-show comments.
I was so tired that evening that I fell asleep before it aired.
I still have not seen show yet. (although I know how it ends)
I'm really glad that every one enjoyed it and tuned in. You know how you can sometimes feel the "vibe". I felt ya.

Until Sunday/Monday
All th e best!
Chris
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

Dumb question, Did anyone happen to tape it?
I have plentt of webspace to host a QT version if someone can get me
a copy.

(And yes, I did miss it!)

Dalexs
Spooky
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Spooky »

Dalexs,

I taped it on my DVR.
I guess I could take a video of my big screen TV with my digital camera (I don't have a DVD recorder).
It would be grainy however ...

Probably better to wait and see if anyone else has a better media option.
You can PM me if you want me to give it a try.

Best Regards,
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

I taped it on this thing called a VHS recorder. Maybe some of the older folks will recall those machines of yesteryear.

Shouldn't Canasta's wife have been in charge of taping her husbands 15 minutes? :lol:
Last edited by agent5 on Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

Pooo! I set my computer to record it and forgot to check the box to make it active, so I missed it. I could have compressed it and put it up for people to download too. :(
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

Spooky, can you output your DVR directly to your camcord thru an input/output connection of some sort?

Then jusy send me the tape (its a mini dv format, right?)
I can then ingest it to my Avid and output it to a QT or WMV or AVI.

Or, you could just yank the hard drive outta your DVR and send it me! :D
thefish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by thefish »

You've got an Avid? Groovy! I prefer Final Cut, (loathe Avid's business practices, but you know...)

I had a friend tape it on crummy old VHS, (I think. They were tired and didn't watch, and I haven't looked at the tape yet to see if the VCR did it's job,) but I can pull that in and burn a DVD of it, OR simply compress it into a Quicktime that's managable and upload it somewhere.

-Dan
Spooky
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Spooky »

Dalexs wrote:Spooky, can you output your DVR directly to your camcord thru an input/output connection of some sort?
Then jusy send me the tape (its a mini dv format, right?)
I can then ingest it to my Avid and output it to a QT or WMV or AVI.
Or, you could just yank the hard drive outta your DVR and send it me! :D
Dalexs,
All ports on my DVR are disabled.
I contacted my Cable company:
They cited this is due to FCC regulations. :evil:

Best I could do would be to take a video of my TV with my digital camera.
I've done it before (... when I went to Japan, I recorded some commercials [very interesting]).
With my High Def ... it should come out a little cleaner (vs. hotel room TV) ... however, sound will probably not be crisp.
Let me know.

Best Regards,