An e-mail from Deborah Nadoolman Landis

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

What has always driven me nuts (with the exception of Jess, bink, and Jerry :? :wink: ) has been the total lack of ANY production notes by the prop department of Paramount! They keep absolutely NOTHING in terms of recorded information as to what was used. I mean NOTHING! They got a list of the 'wants' of the prop master...ran hither and yon gathering said list from anywhere they could....used the items, then threw them back into the prop warehouse. No records of WHAT was used, how it was used, or WHEN it was used...let alone from where it CAME from! That's why finding specific information about specific items used in the movies are from observation and dissection of the films. We've been able to talk to folks who were involved, but all they have is their memory of this or that, and rarely does it match up with someone ELSE'S memory of the same thing! Just maddening!! ](*,)
Regards! Michaelson
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

When you think about it, that's not their job. I think about my daily job and someone asks me how I configured something a year ago and I have no recollection of what I did.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I disagree, Pyro. Sure, it's not the job of the prop folks, but it IS the job of the prop MASTER, as they are a part of the continuity team, and should there be a need to duplicate a 'look' or item for a sequel or re-shot scene, they can pull the master list back out of the files and look for the same item used. Other studios do it, and have done it for years. Paramount, on the other hand, never has.

(you can't remember past configurations from a year ago? Well, different practices for different folks I guess. :wink: I have records for the past 13 years of my employment here of all my past jobs, so, like Dr. Henry Jones, Sr., I wrote them down so I didn't HAVE to remember what I did. My records remind me. (grins))

Regards! Michaelson
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Canyon wrote:
Michaelson wrote:Yep, she has a cold! (grins) Get well soon, Canyon!!! Regards! Michaelson
Thanks Michaelson. :wink:

Image (Binky and Hemingway carrying me away)

Hey, Hemingway, she gets the special wing, right? Hope you feel better soon, Canyon! :wink:

That's nuts that Paramount didn't keep any production notes! But then again, would we have half the threads here if we knew everything up front?

bink
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

You got it, bink. This place would have dried up LONG ago! :lol: Regards! Michaelson
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Michaelson wrote:...should there be a need to duplicate a 'look' or item for a sequel or re-shot scene, they can pull the master list back out of the files and look for the same item used.
Good point. I guess it would have been difficult to shoot something like Back to the Future II if you didn't have the master list from BTTF I.
I wrote them down so I didn't HAVE to remember what I did.
heh...I guess I do take a digital pic or screen shot of something incase I need to replicate it later.....but this..."writing" concept....what's that? (just kidding)
Dakota Ellison
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dakota Ellison »

We've been able to talk to folks who were involved, but all they have is their memory of this or that, and rarely does it match up with someone ELSE'S memory of the same thing! Just maddening!!
I don't totally discount Swales letter. I still think he had something to do with the making of that hat.
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Agreed. It seems to me he knew the most about what took place during those meetings. Although he couldn't or didn't want to reproduce the exact same hat, if you took the most of what he said regarding crown height, brim width, ribbon, etc. as starting points you get a hat that comes really close.

I think the frustration comes from what looks good on HF, doesn't look good on some of us. But if you adjust and scale accordingly, you will get a hat that compliments most all faces.

So for example, if HF's specs were about:

Size: 7 ¼ (size 58 European)
Crown: 5 ½ (5.5) inches
Brim (front & back): 2 ¾ (2.75) inches
Brim (sides): 2 5/8 (2.625) inches
Ribbon: 1 ½ (1.5) inches (39mm)

Mine, I feel, is:

Size: 7 5/8 (size 61 European)
Crown: 6 inches
Brim (front & back): 3 inches
Brim (sides): 2 ¾ (2.75) inches
Ribbon: 1 ½ (1.5) inches (39mm)

I think I would credit Dr. Nadoolman with finding what looks best and has a classic appearance. Then, it was up to Swales to work out the mechanics for what she wanted.

Pyr.
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

Can we find out her birthday so we can make it into a holliday here?
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

MK probably has an interview he conducted with Spielberg lying on a VHS somewhere ;)

I am still jealous of the fact he got to meet the legend that is Vic Armstrong

Ken
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

He also had a NICE visit with the folks who owned the plane that Jock flew at the beginning of Raiders, and....wish he'd write that book. I'm supposed to be first on the purchase list! :? :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

Indiana Ken wrote:MK probably has an interview he conducted with Spielberg lying on a VHS somewhere ;)

I am still jealous of the fact he got to meet the legend that is Vic Armstrong

Ken
Ken, do you remember who was about to show up at the 2004 summit? It wasn't Vic, but I can't remember who else Peter said it was. :-k

Regards,
Swindiana
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

Swindy,

I cant remember who it was but it was not any of the stuntmen who doubled Ford.

I am sure someone could ask him at the QM - Peter said he was prettyu good friends with the guy

Ken