pants pants pants

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

IndyNorth
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

pants pants pants

Post by IndyNorth »

I was curious how y'all wear your pants. I had the waist let out a smidgen so that the pants could sit on the hips vs. the waist. For the longest time, I put the gear on and I looked.....I dunno, square. Even with the shirt and pants worn in, I just didn't look "right" because the pants looked too dress-like. I started to push the pants down a little on the hips and things looked a little better.

Then I went to my tailor and had the waist let out a smidge as well as getting that tapered hem (aka military hem) and the difference is dramatic. In fact, the pants are now one of my favorite items.

Just curious how you guys wear your pants....

north
Indydawg

Yep, me too...

Post by Indydawg »

I'm a 30" waist but I wear my pants at 32"...actually after shrinkage they're probably more like 31"s, but the point is, yes, I think the pants sortof sitting on the hips rather than around the waist are MUCH better looking....

Good call!
Indydawg
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

I wear my pants down at the hips. I just got my NH pants taken in around the butt and the thighs and it just screams RAIDERS like they never have before. Now they look leaner, more slimmed down and also make me look taller. Off the peg they come very, very baggy and at least for the Raiders look it throws you waaaaay off. I've found screwing with all this gear that the Raiders look was very tight fitting, almost like a second skin in some areas.
schwammy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Yep, me too...

Post by schwammy »

Indydawg wrote:I'm a 30" waist but I wear my pants at 32"...actually after shrinkage they're probably more like 31"s, but the point is, yes, I think the pants sortof sitting on the hips rather than around the waist are MUCH better looking....

Good call!
Indydawg
I didn't think wool could shrink...
Indiana_Jonesing
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Indiana_Jonesing »

Wool will shrink like the best of ‘em. It's got a pension for it! Be careful.

-Jonesing
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Re: Yep, me too...

Post by Sergei »

schwammy wrote: I didn't think wool could shrink...
If you don't believe us, just take an ordinary wool sweater. Wash it in hot water, then put it in the dryer set to warm or hot. You will have a sweater that will not even fit Ally McBeal as a tube top. :-)
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

You will have a sweater that will not even fit Ally McBeal as a tube top. :-)

Don't tell that to HF.
IndyNorth
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by IndyNorth »

Shrink? Yikes. Of course wool shrinks. But am I to understand that you're WASHING a cavalry twill wool pant?

The pants are dry clean only. Washing woold does more than just shrink the garment, it ruins the knit.
Indiana Jason
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

military hem

Post by Indiana Jason »

Hey can anyone send me a picture of what this looks like? I have been meaning to hem my mba raider pants but I am afraid to ruin them. And are they normally really tight compared to pants bought in the US? I ordered a couple sizes over what I wear (32 normally), according to the gear page, and they are still really hard to button up. I guess I have to start going back to the gym..... :D
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Joe »

May I be the first to welcome you to the Club? Or, COW?

Would you believe I don't have the pants (yet) but I'm planning on getting a second jacket (this time, a Wested) before the pants? Maybe I should get my priorities straight.

Again, welcome and I hope you have deep pockets for this expensive but really fun hobby!

I.J.
MK
Admin Emeritus

Post by MK »

agent5 wrote:I wear my pants down at the hips. I just got my NH pants taken in around the butt and the thighs and it just screams RAIDERS like they never have before. Now they look leaner, more slimmed down and also make me look taller. Off the peg they come very, very baggy and at least for the Raiders look it throws you waaaaay off. I've found screwing with all this gear that the Raiders look was very tight fitting, almost like a second skin in some areas.

Well.......ok. Just as long as you don't start wearing them around your knees. ;-)
Cooler King
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Cooler King »

I'm a 36" waist, and I wear them generally around the waist. I hate this 'fad' where kids wear their pants down to they're knees with they're underwear showing, quite unappetizing... ::blah!:: but anyway, I wear like regular pants, although I have the LL Bean pants, the NH pants are just too high, it becomes hard enough to even wear them outside with fear of destroying them, so I stick to a product that looks good enough to be Indy's, but still it wouldn't spell disaster if you ripped them. That's just my 2 cent...
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Joe »

DrJones56 wrote:I hate this 'fad' where kids wear their pants down to they're knees with they're underwear showing, quite unappetizing... ::blah!::
It may be a bit OT but I can't stand it either. A lot of them are walking around just an inch from a "full moon."

I.J.