PB / AB comparison?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

slowdevil
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

PB / AB comparison?

Post by slowdevil »

I'm so glad I'm not the only one with this obsession. I have a great Peters Brothers fedora. Can anyone who owns both the Peters Bros and the Adventurebuilt give a side by side comparison?

Justin
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Welcome aboard, slowdevil! What kind of PB do you own? I've seen a couple PB hats in person (though don't own one) and they vary by model. :wink:

bink
slowdevil
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by slowdevil »

Well, it's the Custom Indy. Not the Borsalino. Plenty of stiffener and he shaped the brim per my request.

Justin
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Fine hats. I've owned a couple in years past, and they're well made fedoras. They're a beaver blend, though, and not really comparible to the AB, which is 100% beaver.

Regards! Michaelson
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

I started a post a few months back on that very topic. Here it is, all the compare and contrast of the AB and PB you could want:

viewtopic.php?t=12408&highlight=pb+custom+adventurebilt

:junior: -IJ
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

You got me started. First of all I own three Peters brothers and two Adventurebilt. I'll start with the positive( the Adventurebilt ) great quality and fantastic customer service. Now the nightmare (Petersbrothers ) quality ***** and customer service the worst I have seen in my almost forty years.
Let me sum it up for you. took five and a half months to get my first hat from them. I let that go and bought two more ( how dumb can I be ). six months later and a few rainstorms ( It needed a reblock ). I send it to Peteersbrothers for a cleaning and a reblock. I call them afther two and a half months ( they first said it would take 4 to 6 weeks ). they gave me the same story every two weeks ( we sent it in the mail). so let see about five phone calls of lies before they final send it back to me. They wanted to charge around 60 to 70 dollars for this but finally sent it back for free ( because of the long wait). Sounds ok to me, I calm down a little.
This should be the end of the story but no, it gets better boys and girls. I open the box and scream. the hat is so faded and green that you can't even call it brown anymore.the crown is to big and the brim is almost gone. You can see th brown color that was protected from the old ribbion now peeking out over the new ribbion. One more thing they got the hat size wrong ( to small ). three hat I buy from them and all those calls and they get the hat size wrong.
I have a bright idea I'll send it to poor steve to fix. that poor guy is going to hat me because I gave him a impossible task ( inset mission impossible theme song). he get me some brim back and the right crown height and size but not before I almost cause him a mental breakdown. I think he did a great job with a nihtmare of a hat. He hates the job and sent it to me at no cost ( what a great guy ). he took a hat they should be in the trash and gave me a hat that I can use ( as steve says mowing the lawn ). Indy mowing the lawn there is a joke there somewhere.
Sorry to rant and rave but I just don't want anyone taken buy Petersbrothers. There is no comparison Adventurebilt and Steve cusomer service is top notch period. Petersbrothers has gone right in the toilet.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Penman, your whole situation has completely flabbergasted me from the get go. This is so unlike Peters Brothers, it's un-real. I really hate it too, not only for you, but for them, as they just don't do business like this, and in my experience, never have. But, it doesn't change what you experienced, and that's sad, as you kept me in the loop through the entire affair, and I was unable to get anything to move for you either. :(

I'm very sorry this happened, and hope to someday find out why this occurred.

High regards! Michaelson
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

I would guess that things are not well in Peters Brothers land. A while back, Joe, Jr. left or was fired and he is family. Then Jp, a member here, left or was fired. It seems that they haven't been the same since.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

On the contrary, they have been on the rebound, and in a big way. This situation never made any sense to me, considering what I knew was going on at the shop at the time. :-k

Regards! Michaelson
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

It's very sad over all but I will never trust them again. They just flat out lied to me a few times and there is no excuse for that at all.

As for Mr. Steve Delk aka Fedora he is a real class act. Thank you Steve for being who you are ( a real mench ).
marco polo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by marco polo »

I just purchased a PB and I have to say that I love it. Penman is

right about the customer service though. Even though it only took me

about 2 weeks to get my custom Indy, I had to call about 3 times

before I got ahold of Joe P. After that , it went smooth. The other

employees there were just downright rude. I like the stiffness of the

PB Indy and I think it will take a beating on the farm here. As for

quality , the AB is better in my opinion. Steve's customer service

is top notch and he does'nt try to gouge you. That's my two cents.

Marco
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

Don't get your petersbrothers to wet ( soaked ).
slowdevil
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

thanks

Post by slowdevil »

Thanks for posting that comparison. Very helpful. Also, I personally had a great experience with Joe Jr. He answered all my emails and I had the hat less than a week after I ordered it. Still... with all I've read, I'm guessing my PB will be some sort of decoration around the house once I have one of Steve Delk's hats.