i've got it! Auth Goatskin Wested - UPDATE: Now with a pic!

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Dre
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

i've got it! Auth Goatskin Wested - UPDATE: Now with a pic!

Post by Dre »

It feels like a 4 month journey. from the time i found the indyjacket site to the time i got my jacket. Deciding which leather, colour, sizing to get. But now i finally have it!

For the australians here: i did get charged eventually...106 dollars to customs. not as bad as 200...and i dont mind paying it but it's something to consider. i had to go to the post office to pick it up.

So now i have it...pics will come later. It fits perfectly! i was very worried about it but it turned out fantastically. however, the colour is a little light (autnentic brown) and if i could i might have changed it to dark brown - but it's still a FANTASTIC jacket! they got everything right - i requested xbox stiching and i got it.

one problem though...it does seem like the pleats do stay open...any suggestions?
Last edited by Dre on Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dre
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dre »

i'd say it fits perfectly. shoulders, chest, sleeves etc. all fit perfectly to me. i think it's either something with the side straps...or the leather just needs to loosen up a bit.

if i have double sided tape to stick it to the jacket...would that have any adverse affects on it?
Zach R.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Zach R. »

I wouldn't stick tape to the leather. :shock:
Dre
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dre »

heh ok i thought it'd be a bad idea =P
Zach R.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Zach R. »

Good. :P

BTW, if you ever think the Indy jacket is too light, just look at him in your avatar and you'll feel better. :P
Dre
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dre »

well they were fairly loose when i noticed it.

they kinda bother me...they're wiiide open. but ill just see what happens. they dont bother me so much that i dislike the jacket in any way =)
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

If you have the "authentic" colored goatskin, and you want to darken it up, perhaps try treating it with a dose of the Pecards Jell/cream.

I have a Flightsuits Goatskin jacket in the lighter/authentic (seal) brown color. I too like my Indy jackets dark in color. As soon as I gave it a dose of the Pecards jell/cream, she darkened up just about like my other Flightsuits Goatskin jacket in the dark-brown shade of brown. Just a suggestion....

Kind Regards,
Captain D
Merrick
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Merrick »

If the side straps are too tight, the pleats are wide open. If too loose they also stay open. Every time you turn slightly to look in the mirror at your pleats, they come open. Well that's just mine anyway... lol...

Until I saw a photo that someone else took of me whilst wearing it and they looked fine!

My advice is loosen the straps a bit and wear it for a while. The leather has to hang for a while and mould a bit too you first.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Bottom line....and has been said in just about every reply above, and it's TRUE....WEAR IT before doing ANYTHING to the jacket. The leather HAS to settle in and set to YOUR body shape and size. Give it a few weeks BEFORE attempting adjustments to this or that. You'll find most, if not all those quirks will completely disappear!

(Did I put in enough capital letters? :-k :wink: )

High regards! Michaelson
Shawnkara
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shawnkara »

Like most people I fussed over the pleat thing for a long time, too. Then I realized something; Ford's pleats NEVER worked, aside from the scence in Raiders where he brushes the tarantula off his shoulder. Any other time you see the pleats they're either flat open or partially open, crushed and wrinkled. Don't fret over it. The pleats don't work, they never will. And they're not supposed to.
Wrightknife
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Wrightknife »

Congratulations Dre! The long wait is finally over and you can begin wearing your much anticipated garment. I know you will be very satisfied with the excellent quality of the "jacket". :D

Wear it in good health,
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Cograts Dre! If you worried about the color, then just go watch one of the movies. :wink: Like everyone else said, just wear your jacket a wile and see what happens. :)
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

Maybe put some books on it whith the pleats closed correctly and leave it for awhile. (however you probably can't resist wareing it for that long right now) :D
Bjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bjones »

Shawnkara wrote: The pleats don't work, they never will. And they're not supposed to.
Mine work pretty good...stay closed when still, open when I move my arms...I have the elastic strap.

Dre..congrats. I know what you mean about the long wait. :) Lets see those pics!
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

I think the shape of the shoulders has the biggest effect on how the actions pleats perform. People with more rounded shoulders will have more trouble with the action pleats than someone with more square shoulders. As I remember Peter posted something to that effect sometime ago.

On a side note my Wested has no special features, and everything is fine.
Pandora
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Pandora »

congrats Dre!!!!

You finally got it, great.

I'm still waiting but I hope next week mine will arrive too. Can't wait to see pics.
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

Congratulations Dre! Seems like a lifetime when you're waiting for the prize. :wink: Can't wait to see the pics.

Cheers!

Dan
Dre
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dre »

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b22/t ... jacket.jpg

here's a fuzzy sort of picture that was taken quickly when i first got it. more n clearer pics (from different angles perhaps) will follow sometime.
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

Perfect fit, Dre- I would not worry about a thing! The "authentic" brown is always a shocker. We all see it darker on the screen, no matter what anyone says. Personally I like the dark brown better then the authentic, but I have both :?

have a nice day.
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

"For cryin' out loud! Last year it was 'Indy, there's too much taper on your fedora!'. This year, all they wanna talk about is the pleats on my jacket!" :roll:
Skippy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Riding the Mongolian steppes......or London, England.

Post by Skippy »

:lol: Nice one Canyon :lol:

Dre here is a pic of my Wested in action. Keep in mind the bag is opening the bottom of the action pleat & my arms are forward holding reins, so the pleat is very open, but do I look worried......well about the jacket & not saddles sores anyway! :P

& although the jacket looks black in that pic, that's a Authentic Brown.
Wrightknife
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Wrightknife »

Dre,

Your jacket looks perfect. :D Wear it in good health and don't nitpick it to death. You will Love it.

Have a great day!
Feraud
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Feraud »

Congrats on the jacket. It will give you many years of service.
Dre
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dre »

no new pics yet..they'll come soon i promise!

as for that pic canyon posted...makes me feel better about the action pleats. and after wearing it for a bit they bother me ALOT less. plus i think after a little wear they actually open less.

thanks for the congrats people! i cant beleive how well this jacket turned out. Im very glad i ordered my actual size and not a size up, im glad i ordered goatskin, glad i ordered a temple jacket, glad i ordered authentic brown now - it's a lovely brown colour.

perfect.

now all i have to do is stop worrying about ruining the jacket! im afraid enough to breath on it or let it touch a seat...dont know how you guys work up the courage to distress them!
Dre
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dre »

just a thought - the jacket is supposed to be a temple one. the length seems good for a ToD...does the collar look the right size? or does it look more like a LC one?
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

It looks ok to me, Dre. What size jacket did you order? The reason I ask is that the smaller the jacket the bigger the collar will look unless it is scaled down. If you wear a smaller size that might explain why the collar looks kinda big to you. But honestly it look fine, don't worry about it. :)
Dre
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dre »

A size 40-41r not sure which exactly i got.

after wearing it a couple of weeks i love it! i think it's become slightly softer though it's been soft the whole time. it's great to wear- at first i was very nervous to even breath on it but now im getting slightly more relaxed while wearing it (though not completely!)

the action pleats dont bother me as much anymore. here are a couple more pics - please excuse the Tom Baker Dr Who hair in the first pic - needed a haircut...

This Picture shows the jacket outside - i think it was overcast and it wasnt in direct light. in the back you can see Flinders Street station in melbourne -
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b22/t ... inders.jpg

Here is a shot of the back of my jacket while worn -
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b22/t ... reBack.jpg
Skippy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Riding the Mongolian steppes......or London, England.

Post by Skippy »

WOW! :shock: BIG HAIR! :lol:

Great looking jacket tho' 8)
IndyTaz
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyTaz »

:shock: Wow Dre...that looks like a beautiful jacket mate...I'm going to be in Melbourne in a few months. Can I come and touch the hem of the garment? :lol:

Congrats
IndyTaz