Emu leg whip

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

bernie47
Vendor
Location: In the workshop making whips.Western Creek Tasmania Australia

Emu leg whip

Post by bernie47 »

G'day All.
This has nothing to do with Indy but I thought as a matter of interest and something unusual I have never seen before and don't think ever will again. We have an aqaintance who is an antiques dealer and on a recent trip to England came across this little beauty made in around 1860 in Australia,maker unknown,and now returned to Australia. It is a hunting whip,used for fox hunting and the handle is made from the foot and leg of an emu. I've posted photos here
http://www.em-brand-whips.com/emufoot.htm Well worth the look.
bernie47
Vendor

Post by bernie47 »

Should have added I had to make a new thong for the whip.
JAN
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by JAN »

A really strange whip indeed!

But it would easily fit into ToD...

Best regards

JAN
Spooky
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Spooky »

Hi Bernie ! :D

Re: The Emu Whip
Yikes - That looks like what would happen if you placed a bullwhip and a baby pterodactyl in Jeff Goldblum's (The Fly) Teleportation device ... 8-[

P.S.> I finally mastered the overhead crack, Bernie. \:D/
Sounds like a 45 caliber pistol! I try not to do it (the overhead crack) too often though [.... you know, neighbors, etc. ...].
Love my whip. :D
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

I'm sorry, no disrespect meant- but that is DISGUSTING! :shock:

"Hey guys, check out my new whip!" - (everyone grabs barf-bag) :?

people just do the wierdest stuff!

have a nice day.
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Ew! :shock:

Cool! :twisted:

Agreed, that is something creepy the evil Anti-Indy would be wearing on his belt...

J
Andiana
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Southern California - The home of my 'home away from home'...Disneyland...

Post by Andiana »

Woah....that's kinda...err...different. Never thought about a whip that looked like that! Yikes!
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

Yeah, that's certainly different. I've seen smaller whips made with deer feet for the handle, such as hunting whips from Germany, though the fact that they have fur on them make them look less menacing than the scaly emu foot.

I would have to wonder how they preserved such a foot and made it into a handle that wouldn't fall apart. I suppose it wasn't subject to a lot of use so maybe it wasn't that much of an issue.

Bernie,

Was part of the original lash still on the whip when you made the replacement? If so, what was the original lash like?

-Adam, www.winrichwhips.com
bernie47
Vendor

Post by bernie47 »

The thong that was on the whip was made from cow hide with an 8 plait. It was in a very dry and brittle condition as often is the case with old whips. I don't think somehow it was the original though because it seemed a bit light for the handle and being 140 years old I don't think the original survived. As for preserving the foot I should imagine a bit of taxidermy was used. Perhaps someone on the list knows a bit about taxidermy and could enlighten us.