Colt New Service

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

dr. tyree
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Colt New Service

Post by dr. tyree »

Found a Colt New Service at a gun shop for $500. It's in great shape, original grips, tight lock up and everything. I hadn't previously been interested in this gun, but get this: it's in .45 Colt caliber, so no half moon clips necessary. Should I buy it? Whaddya think?
Indy_Prince
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Indy_Prince »

If that is what you want and the dealer is respectable Check to see what the return policy is if there is something previously undiscovered regarding the purchase of you item. Remember, these are "Vintage" and should be treated as such. I have a Webley from 1916 and it is still a good work horse. Now I use mine probably 1 or 2 times a year. I do not consider mine a everyday piece as modern day firearms can be. I have looked at several Colts and $500 can be a good price if the firearm is really close to mint. I have also seen Colts go for as much a $1200 but it was just cherry and in .455 Eley. Just keep in mind "Let the buyer beware". See if you dealer has had a gunsmith check the gun fully and that it can be safely used. Ask as many dumb questions because there are none when it comes to buying vintage.
Peacock's Eye
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Peacock's Eye »

It appears to be a good deal. I wouldn't let the caliber (.45 Colt) stop me from buying it. These are considered to be strong, rugged firearms.
Colt
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Colt »

I would snap it up in a New York min.! These are getting hard to find and the .45 colt is oneof my favorite rounds that I reload for.

Regards,

Colt