Question for any aussies who've imported a Wested

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Veefy
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Question for any aussies who've imported a Wested

Post by Veefy »

Hey Guys, been lurking here for a while and have finally worked out in my mind which Wested to go for (Brown authentic goatskin) and sizing.

Anyway I was wondering with regard to paying customs/import duties, what the experience of other aussies has been. Did you have to pay customs on your jacket or is there any way for Wested to label the package so I can avoid contributing to the John Howard retirement fund.
Dre
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dre »

Hey man...welcome to the forums! i just got into this a few months ago. Where abouts in australia are you from?

Like you, i was worried about customs and ive heard aussies on here say they've been charged ALOT for customs and such. however, they never asked to have their jacket labelled as a gift.

I ordered my jacket a few weeks ago and made sure in my order that i pointed out i *needed* it to be labelled as a gift, and they said that they actually send ALL their jackets labelled as gifts now?

Labelling things as gifts means they shouldn't incure ANY fees or duties at all so you shouldnt pay any extra money. I'll let you know if i actually do get charged or not, which should be in the next 2 or 3 weeks.
Pandora
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Pandora »

Not an aussie but let me reply anyway: labeling a shipment as "gift" may reduce the risk of being charged but I think if the package looks too big or valuable they might check if it's really a gift.

A friend ordered something in the US and had to pay customs duty even though it was labeled as gift.

It seems to be a question of fortune, sometimes it works, sometimes it does not.
Dre
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dre »

oh..
hmm..
well...
@#$%!
hope i dont get charged...it'll cost me around 150 i believe give or take if i do...
Merrick
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Merrick »

My Wested came in mid '03 and I paid a ####load of import duties. In total about $190 I think. Another member SAB, he paid about the same too, however, Rob got his in 04 and didnt incur any fees, so maybe the system has changed. I remember I was rather mad, because I hadn't expected such a fee to get my jacket. The import house wouldnt release the goods until the duites had been paid, AND if I didnt pay within x amount of days, they then add a daily storage fee!

However I think when Dre's comes that will be the true test to see how the system now works.
Dre
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dre »

heh yeah that it will Merrick =)
I'll definetely let all of you know how it goes..fingers crossed!
golpeo_rapidamente
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by golpeo_rapidamente »

I paid about $350 when i imported my FS and when my Wested arrived Peter was kind enough to label it gift and value it at 50 Quid for me.The FS people were not as "flexible"
Regards
sam
P.S ever thought of having a jacket made in Australia?
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

Why are import taxes so high in Austrailia? It's almost a 100% markup from the price of the item. Unbelievable!!!! I haven't even had to pay customs on anything sent to the US from Australia (I don't remember if the senders marked gift, but I don't think they did).
golpeo_rapidamente
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

It is a combination of the value ( after conversion into Aussie $ ) and then a percentage of that,plus a customs clearance and then Tax on the combined ( including Frieght)
All of the above is in place to encourage us to buy local product and when i can i do.
Regards
Sam
Dre
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dre »

personally i think it's absolutely ridiculous.

for a jacket that costs about $350 (australian dollars), with postage added and import duties and tax and such, might come to over 600. encouraging us to buy local products is one thing...but that's just criminal.

i *really* hope i dont get charged duties and such. They *really* should just accept the fact that it says gift on the label. hopefully wested will also write a lesser price on the label too...although i did not request this. is that something i have to request?
golpeo_rapidamente
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

I would request it, as for the whole accept the declaration thing just remeber its the law and they ( customs ) are protecting industry and borders
Regards
sam
Dre
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dre »

alright i just sent an email to wested requesting that they put a lower price on the shipping label (if that is where they put it?). though i suspect they might do it already, as they said they label all the jackets as a gift lately.

And just because something is the law doesn't make it right or just in my eyes =)
golpeo_rapidamente
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

I also agree with you on that one,but cant change the law
If Wested put 50 Sterling and describe as Jacket ( dont mention leather) and maybe get peter to send it from peter and not the buisness it may look a little better ( send reciept seperately )
This is what he did for me all those years ago and the jacket sailde thru no problems
Hope this helps
Sam
Dre
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dre »

golpeo: they sent it before i got a chance to ask. the jacket is in melbourne right now! exciting. it's being 'held' awaiting customs clearance. i'll be able to let you know how the whole thing goes early next week!
golpeo_rapidamente
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Very interested to see what they hit you with duty wise
regards
Sam
golpeo_rapidamente
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

any updates?
Dre
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dre »

not as yet. although it does say that it's on it's way to delivery agent...meaning it's out of customs. i havent been charged or anything yet but perhaps that comes later? though im hoping im already through that
golpeo_rapidamente
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

it sounds like you wont be getting any nasty extras
top points
regards
Sam
Merrick
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Merrick »

Agreed. I had to pay before it left customs, so it looks like you may have escaped!
Dre
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dre »

awesome. though it's been on it's way to the 'delivery depot' since midday friday
golpeo_rapidamente
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

patience young jedi
Dre
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dre »

yeah i know i know =P but today is the last day for a couple of days that im home, so if they deliver in the next couple of days i'll have to go to the post office to get it. it's so close! hehe. but it's odd that it's been 'on route' for so long...seems like it should have moved by now
golpeo_rapidamente
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Australia Post is a strange beast,when you least expect it,expect it
Keep us informed
Dre
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dre »

no jacket today =( hopefully they'll try to drop it off tomorrow
Dre
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dre »

still no change in tracking since friday...
how long should i expect it to be 'on route to delivery depot'?
IndyTaz
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyTaz »

:D Hey Dre,
Sorry to butt in. I'm saving for a Wested too. I didn't have any idea that it could be so much trouble to import one... All this info is very helpful. So Peter at Wested is not adverse to being a bit sly on customers behalf? that's really considerate. Have you got the said Wested yet? Are you happy? hope so...pics?

Regards Folks

IndyTaz
Pandora
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Pandora »

Dre: I suffer with you.

I told you that I expected my Wested to be finished last week and hoped to get it this week. No.... Noooooooooooooo ;-)

It is supposed to be finished this week and will be sent next week.
Dre
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dre »