Indy 4

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Pandora
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Pandora »

Oh how I wish that this is true...

Then we could finally say:

Habemus scriptum

I never had latin so I'm not sure if this is right...
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

Rosenet wrote:From DarkHorizons.com:
Sean Connery is not slated to appear in the new film.

Edit: Boy the profanity filter here is sensitive!
Aww, that would ****. I rather liked the Sr. Jones.

The filter doesn't like you. ;)
Rosenet
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Rosenet »

IndyDoc wrote:
Rosenet wrote:From DarkHorizons.com:
Sean Connery is not slated to appear in the new film.

Edit: Boy the profanity filter here is sensitive!
Aww, that would ****. I rather liked the Sr. Jones.

Which brings up a related story...

"SIR Sean Connery has said he may never make another film, blaming "idiot" movie moguls for his decision.

The veteran actor said: "I'm fed up with the idiots - the ever-widening gap between people who know how to make movies and the people who green-light the movies."

He admitted he would not rule out another starring role - but said it would have to be "a mafia-style offer" to get him in front of a camera again. "

http://news.scotsman.com/scotland.cfm?id=1710332005

I would think that the Indy team would be considered people who know how to make movies, but considering how much Paramount will have to pay The Big Three I imagine there's not much left to make a Godfather offer to Sean Connery (who got paid $10 mil for his last two movies). Bummer.
M.L. Jones
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by M.L. Jones »

As much as I love the previous I.J. films, as I'm sure all of us here do, I'm beginning to think perhaps that a 4th film should be forgotten about and maybe we should just be happy with the previous films. I say this because of many concerns, most of them touched upon to some degree in this thread already. There is a lot of things working against a successful 4th venture. I love H.Ford however he looks every bit his age if not older, and by the time this thing ever does get made, and it's getting longer with every passing day...he is simply too old. I think it would be terribly sad to see an "aged" Indy no longer able to do the things he could before...I mean how many times could they put a comic spin on things to laugh about the failed stunts.
Spieberg, one of the finest directors' in film history, has seemed in recent years to depend more and more upon special effects and big budgets to pull off moviegoers interest, rather than creative and inventive ways to tell a compelling or interesting story, and he is falling flat on his back.
I remember back to 1971 when I saw this television movie which I thought was magnificently done and obviouly made with very little money. At the time I did not recognize the name of the director of this suspenceful thriller, but I knew then he was a talent. The story involved a man being relentlessly pursued on the highway by a mysterious and deadly trucker. The film of couse was "Duel" and all I'm saying here is that Speilberg doesn't need a big budget to tell a good yarn, he needs to have a good script...he needs to be inventive...and most importiant of all he needs to be hungry, and I'm afraid he just isn't anymore. I think he's weary and used up by the huge swirling malstrom that is the big budget Hollywood of today.
And Sean Connery is dead on in saying that the Hollywood producers of today are complete idiots, and that it's not the filmmakers themselves who are at fault for the @#$% being passed off as film today.
I have seen these pompous, idiotic blowhard producers on many movie sets myself, and more than once I've shaken my head in disbelief that these are the people in charge of making films...it just blows me away!
I've worked as a featured extra and stand-in on many films made here in Louisiana the past 17 years and I can always spot the excutive producer, he's the swaggering blowhard who dictates evrything to the director...it's just pitiful to see these rich no nothing b*****ds call the shots.
Anyway, ranting aside, in order to make a successful Indy 4, all the elements would have to be spot on just NOT to make it an embarrasment, and I just don't feel it will come come off that way. It would be nice to see another Indy saga of the caliber of the 1st and 3rd films but this I think is just a dream and better to have a beautiful dream than a real dissapointment.

M.L. Jones
VancouverVic
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by VancouverVic »

1. An aged-Indy script will work pretty well. There's an opportunity for more comic bits (i.e. Indy bullwhipping the wrong target due to declining eyesight).

2. And speaking of eyesight ... it wouldn't hurt for Indy to wear an eyepatch this movie, right? :)

3. The market's starting to look better for older heroines. Beverly d'Angelo, Rene Russo, Sharon Stone, Demi Moore ... an actress in the mid- to late-40's wouldn't be too out of line as a minimum age. She just needs to be a good looker and in reasonable shape.

4. Late 1940's puts it after WW2, so no Nazis unless they're escapted criminals. It's also the period of the last gasp of the Republic serials that inspired Indy in the first place.

5. What would especially be daring is if Indy had a younger assistant who could be a protege. Bringing back the actor who did Short Round for example, or maybe Ben Affleck as one of Indy's students.

6. And for sure, bring Sallah back.
Richard~Buxton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Richard~Buxton »

or maybe Ben Affleck as one of Indy's students.

You are joking right?!? :shock:
VancouverVic
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by VancouverVic »

Cryptid~Explorer wrote:
or maybe Ben Affleck as one of Indy's students.

You are joking right?!? :shock:
Hey, he's no stranger to comedies and action-adventure films. And he's done Harrison Ford-type roles before.

I mean who would you prefer in that type of role? George Eads? Chris Rock?

Of course, an inspired bit of casting would be to get Tom Selleck in a villain role. Or maybe Peter Mayhew as a sidekick. :wink:
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

VancouverVic wrote:Or maybe Peter Mayhew as a sidekick. :wink:
this man???
M.L. Jones
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by M.L. Jones »

Ben Affleck is the biggest "NOTALENT" in Hollywood! It has simply been amazing to see this self-centered, egomaniacal deadhead continue to be placed in mega million dollar films and put viewers to sleep with his performances. A cardboard cutout put in his place would be more interesting to watch than this idiot. He is just another "prettyboy" rammed down the public's throats by Hollwood executive no-nothings who THINK this is what the public will pay hard cash to see at the box office. A younger sidekick for Indiana....No Way! Oh, I see where you are going with that, opening the door for perhaps a "next generation" Indy. Artisticly, that idea *****. The charactors which were developed and the actors that played in the 1st & 3rd Indy films will NEVER be equaled, it would be pointless to even try. As much as I would like there to be an ongoing series of Indy films similar to the James Bond dynasty, I hope that it will never happen. H. Ford has so made the character his own that anyone trying to follow in his footsteps would be a great dissapointment.
Zach R.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Zach R. »

Hey erri, maybe that girl could be my sidekick. :lol:
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

M.L. Jones wrote:As much as I would like there to be an ongoing series of Indy films similar to the James Bond dynasty, I hope that it will never happen. H. Ford has so made the character his own that anyone trying to follow in his footsteps would be a great dissapointment.
As one might say Connery was the best Bond, but that hasn't stoped them from making 20 some Bond pictures.
Gater
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Gater »

I just watched HF on the Lucas AFI tribute, and not only does HF say that Indy is very very near to his heart and he loves the character and is anxious to get going on IJIV, but he looked great!!!!

He did not look "old" at all, and was joking, and running down the stage and it gave me added hope.
Zach R.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Zach R. »

Thats good to hear. I always thought Harrison liked the character of Indy over Han Solo, I think there was less bad blood and experiences with Indy compared to Han (despite how cool he was as a Correllian Spice Smuggler in a beat-up YT-1300). :wink:
VancouverVic
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by VancouverVic »

erri_wan wrote:
VancouverVic wrote:Or maybe Peter Mayhew as a sidekick. :wink:
this man???
(image deleted)

Exactly. That man.

If you have the Star Wars Trilogy Bonus Materials DVD, you'll have a scene where Chewbacca says, in plain English, "The man's mad." (It's unclear whether he's referring to Lucas or Obi-Wan. :)) Peter does have an established screen rapport with Harrison, even if it's hidden behind a lot of fur.

Just imagine the comic possibilities behind Peter driving Indy around in a car chase -- in an Austin Mini. Or a Citroen.
VancouverVic
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by VancouverVic »

Indiana Gater wrote:I just watched HF on the Lucas AFI tribute, and not only does HF say that Indy is very very near to his heart and he loves the character and is anxious to get going on IJIV, but he looked great!!!!

He did not look "old" at all, and was joking, and running down the stage and it gave me added hope.
I liked the admonition: "George -- don't take too long. Otherwise Sean Connery will be too old to play my father!"
Pandora
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Pandora »

I really don't like the idea of a younger (male) assistant or even younger, lost brother (what a stupid idea). What about a female assistant or student? This has been is the Indy-books and would work well.

I hope they hurry up with making INDY IV since I swore that I won't go to the cinema before (so the next movie for me in the cinema will be Indy IV).
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Zach R. wrote:Thats good to hear. I always thought Harrison liked the character of Indy over Han Solo, I think there was less bad blood and experiences with Indy compared to Han (despite how cool he was as a Correllian Spice Smuggler in a beat-up YT-1300). :wink:
In the Return of the Jedi you can see how bored Harrison Ford was of that character!
Zach R.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Zach R. »

That also might have been the director's and the scripts fault, I hate how in ROTJ they changed Han from the lovable yet dangerous rogue to comic relief, and I'm sure Harrison did too(he also possibly missed working with a good director, Irvin Kershner)
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Zach R. wrote:That also might have been the director's and the scripts fault, I hate how in ROTJ they changed Han from the lovable yet dangerous rogue to comic relief, and I'm sure Harrison did too(he also possibly missed working with a good director, Irvin Kershner)
I think he didnt want to do the "third" episode at all, that's it. In the original idea of Lucas he should have been frozen in carbon chamber (or however it's called) forever, not comin' back for the last episode.

The fact that he didnt like the new director, and so on an so forth, i think it just increased Ford's hatred for that character.
Gater
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Gater »

I, for one, would dread the "assistant" to take over the franchise. A female would be too Sidney Fox - Relic Hunter!

Indy is a stand-alone character who doesn't need a sibling/assistant/stand-in to mentor. Leave the Wookie at home.
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

Zach R. wrote:...he also possibly missed working with a good director, Irvin Kershner)
I'm the guy who once said that if there was any other director who could bring the Jones Character back to his "Raiders" roots, it would be Kersh.

The prequels would have been better if he directed them, too.
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Renderking Fisk wrote:
Zach R. wrote: The prequels would have been better if he directed them, too.
I believe that too. I dont like Lucas' direction at all in the new trilogy
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

Renderking Fisk wrote:
Zach R. wrote:...he also possibly missed working with a good director, Irvin Kershner)
I'm the guy who once said that if there was any other director who could bring the Jones Character back to his "Raiders" roots, it would be Kersh.

The prequels would have been better if he directed them, too.
Hear, hear!

Lucas: Indy needs a sidekick in this one. How about Dana Carvy? He looks like a sidekick.
Carvy: Let's see...what would my name be? Hmm, could it be...mmmm...SATAN! (in a Church Lady voice) :twisted:
Daniel Riser
Scoundrel

Post by Daniel Riser »

binkmeisterRick wrote:Yes, but there is much debate on how many suppliers provided hats for Temple of Doom. And even though HJ supplied the hats back then, there is also opinion about the current quality of their hats now as opposed to then. Personally, I think it'd be cool if they used AdventureBilts! Especially with the Staff of Ra headpiece insignia in the liner, how cool an inside joke would THAT be? :wink:

bink
My honest guess is that Optimo or Dave Brown will be used. Also the "quality" of hats matters nothing to a camera and director. They are unconcerned with beaver percentage.

And the reason it could go to Optimo or Dave Brown is Hanks has talked to Spielberg about the best hat makers in the world and I know for a fact those two are the ones Hanks praises most. (The hats in Catch me if you Can were Dave Brown)

Wested is guaranteed to have the jacket because Spielberg owns just about every model they make, and wears them all tlhe time.

MBA has nothing to do with Bermans and Nathans (the original supplier of the shirt and trousers) however a virtually unknown fact is that the prototype shirts were first made by Western Costumes in Burbank! They supply just about every Hollywood production, so whoever Western recommends (just like they recommended Bermans and Nathans) is who Debra Zane will probably go with (I'm only guessing Debra will do the costume design because Spielberg has used her a lot lately and she's absolutely phenomenal with period films (O Brother, Catch me and so on and so on)

And who knows. It's suppose to be set in the fifties. They may put Indy in some more WW2 stuff. I would actually like that a lot.