The grey indy hat is gray!

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

Hey, don't be scared Canyon- as long as you agree that the hat looks grey, you're safe :wink: LOL

I agree with you, though, no need to have the nasty implications in comments that I have seen. Especially towards what could be percieved as the minority in any certain case, at any particular time. :wink: You really NEVER know, sometimes actual hard proof may come to light on ANY subject and make an individual or individuals look like an (slang for donkey inserted here) :wink:

have a nice day.
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

I have been watching Raiders for 16 years now, and have always been of the opinion that the hat seen where Indy boards the plane for Nepal, and the scene at the end in Washington that the hat is grey. However, I am unsure as to what colour the ribbon is.

Also,(sorry,Canyon) this is another barrier that has to be broken for anyone to OBJECTIVELY analyze this subject.

Being absolutely positive for 16 years watching those grainy, poor quality VHS tapes doesn't help matters any :wink: Now with the DVDs we can look at it much more clearly with clear frame grabs and the like. You need to start fresh! Free your mind! :wink: chanting-brown,brown,brown,brown- J.K. :wink:

Let me tell you guys- I USED TO THINK THE HAT WAS GREY!! I was absolutely positive! Until one day I saw a flash of brownish, and thought "waayyyt a minuuute!, that hat is BROWN!" I looked closer and closer, at the ribbon, at the way the light danced off of it making shades of grey(as in dew sitting on top of green grass makes it look almost silver at a certain angle). I'm tellin' ya! That thing is brown! :wink: All of the lighting in that scene is magnifying that blueish/grey interior of the plane. That one color(if I'm not mistaken) covers the entire ceiling and walls of the cabin, right? Then I'm saying that's the color we are seeing reflected on that hat.

have a nice day.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

texasraider, some of thpse colors don't match , or maybe it's just my computer. :? I really don't think you can solve this problem this way.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

:lol: I hear ya TR! I think most folks here never questioned the color. Most of us see gray. Couple that with the info given us by a couple of sources, and we had our eyes confirmed. :D Carry on with your experments, as that is what makes this hobby interesting. Put yor pc skills to the test and tell me how high the Raider hat is. Start with the assumtion that the ribbon is indeed what Swales stated. 39 mm, or just a hair over 1 1/2 inches. Extend it upward. What do you get? This is what interests me. Are you game? Fedora
MK
Admin Emeritus

Post by MK »

The big difference there is you don't have a photo of you standing in Tunisia to compare it to. You don't have the same reference.
henryindianajonesjr44
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

hmm

Post by henryindianajonesjr44 »

You know the Raiders novel said that Indy's hat was grey but I don't think it was a fedora. Oh well..whadaya gonna do?
Andrew :wink:
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

MK wrote:The big difference there is you don't have a photo of you standing in Tunisia to compare it to. You don't have the same reference.
What is it with this continually insulting tone? :? Why is this allowed? Because you're admin.? Have I insulted you personally at all? :-k [-X

I'm trying to figure something out, here, with the (hopefully constructive) help and input of members. If you think you have the issue solved, then please peacefully step away from the conversation.

As for the colors not matching(sorry forgot who posted) it shouldn't be your screen. Those colors were taken DIRECTLY from the pics. I am not trying to pull a fast one on anyone here! What would that solve? They should match perfectly on any computer because the source is the same-i.e. the colors on YOUR screen will match the picture on YOUR screen. :wink:

have a nice day.
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

You want to know the truth? The truth is, WE MAY NEVER KNOW. That's really it. Until we really DO know, through information from a reliable source, then anything we say on the matter is open interpretation, or speculation. Nothing more, nothing less. We may THINK a certain hat looks like another, and due to the fact that grey hats were used during filming may allude to Ford wearing a grey hat on the plane, and at the end of the movie, but there's no indisputable proof. Why are we all getting so hyped up? That said, I'll move along.

Look at this pic of Prairie Jones' hat.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b225/ ... ure229.jpg

IT LOOKS GREY. We all know PJ has a BROWN Akubra Federation. The fact is, what we're seeing in the above picture is evidence that the lighting makes all the difference. PJ's hat is clearly brown, as we have seen in other pics he has posted, yet, in the above photo, it looks grey. In fact, dare I say that PJ's hat, in the above photo, has almost exactly the same balance of color that Indy's hat has on the plane, and at the end of the movie. PJ's hat totally looks grey. Can you really look at that hat and say it doesn't appear that way?

Indy's hat on the plane and at the end of the movie could be either/or. We will MOST LIKELY NEVER KNOW. I said that already, LOL..getting senile in my old age.

People who think it's brown: Have fun! Think it's brown! Yay! A brown hat! Woot!

People who think it's grey: Have fun! Think it's grey! Yay! A grey hat! Woot!

People who think it's a mix: Have fun! Think it's a mix! Yay! A mixed up hat! Woot!

All we're going to do is run ourselves around in circles forever, and ever, and ever. Indy IV will get made and fade out before this debate does. At some point, this argument is going to degenerate into something akin to: "MY DAD CAN BEAT UP YOUR DAD! TIMES INFINITE +1!"

Regards,
MK
Admin Emeritus

Post by MK »

Texas Raider wrote:
MK wrote:The big difference there is you don't have a photo of you standing in Tunisia to compare it to. You don't have the same reference.
What is it with this continually insulting tone? :? Why is this allowed? Because you're admin.? Have I insulted you personally at all? :-k [-X

I'm trying to figure something out, here, with the (hopefully constructive) help and input of members. If you think you have the issue solved, then please peacefully step away from the conversation.
Insulting? I really have no idea where you are getting that from. Just because I don't agree with your take doesn't make that an insult. :?

I would like to think I brought useful information and evidence that was unavailable to you. You have chosen to ignore it all because it doesn't fit your agenda. For a guy that just showed up here just four months ago....... to tell me to step away is the REAL insult. [-X

At any rate, I will no longer provide any more advice and information on this subject. Consider me "stepped away".
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

First off: Strider, using that image of PJs is a horrible example because the white balance of the photo is so far off.
Look at the skin tone. he's green!
I made an overall adjustment for skin tone only and guess what, he's wearing a brown hat!

Second, like I said 2 pages ago, I really didn't want this turning ugly.
Guess what, some people here just don't know how to participate in an intelligent conversation, Soooo, this discussion is over.
MK tried to give us a good example of how colors are perceived.
He's in the film AND publishing business. He's not pulling this stuff out of his...

Like I also said, bring some irrefutable proof, and lets see if we can carry on like adults, and/or people of some intellect.

If you want to think the hat is brown, so be it. If you want to think the hat is gray, so be it.

'nuff said. (again) LAST WARNING!

Dalexs
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

Insulting? I really have no idea where you are getting that from. Just because I don't agree with your take doesn't make that an insult. :?

I would like to think I brought useful information and evidence that was unavailable to you. You have chosen to ignore it all because it doesn't fit your agenda. For a guy that just showed up here just four months ago....... to tell me to step away is the REAL insult. [-X
At any rate, I will no longer provide any more advice and information on this subject. Consider me "stepped away".
[/quote]

If you think that as an insult, I apologize. My reference is to you belittling my every attempt to bring to light the possibility that the hat in those scenes is indeed brown. You did the color experiment, and everyone suddenly says(once again) "Oh, that clears it up again!" Then I do the EXACT same thing, and I'm completely ignored, told the colors don't match, or a silly derogatory statement like "Well you're not in tunisia to have a reference to compare the size of the ribbon" or something to that nature. I've been called everything from color blind,to having an inferior computer, to mocking my sign-out(have a nice day)-all because I think a hat is brown and not grey. You seem to think that because I think the hat is brown,that I'm an idiot! New things come to light all the time! Look at the Antidote vial thread. Magnoli himself said "this shows why the archives can't always be trusted" because of the jewels discovered on the vial. I've done ANYTHING but ignore your input, I even copied your experiment to try to show you how it could be flawed, that's all. I've heard all that you've said, but it almost invariably comes back to the info that Michaelson has given. To me,(no insult meant) this just isn't solid enough evidence. Obviously they are trustworthy sources, but the evidence itself is just not there.
Posting above is correct, until solid evidence is found, we'll never know. But we can post our hypothesis constructively, can't we? I don't expect you to agree to "my take", just like I hope you don't expect me to take one persons word as gospel. I'm just asking you to take an objective look at my evidence, and hopefully, nicely present your own.
I've said this before, I'm not trying to argue! I'm simply posting my reasoning as to why I think a certain thing. No different then 3Kbucks posting about his Pork Pie, line on the hat theories. Or Fedora posting about why he thinks the hat is so and so tall. Or Magnoli posting why he thinks the Headpiece is a certain diameter, and so on.
Yes, you WERE and ARE bringing useful info to the table, but it seems(to me at least) that it is with a less than friendly approach(if I'm wrong, once again, apologies) Yes I've been a member for only four months, but I've watched the forum for years. Not to mention been a huge Indy fan for much longer. I could say I'm not getting much of a warm welcome as a newbie, but I'm not that concerned with it. I'm just here to discuss topics with people who want to discuss topics. It's no news to me that my postings are being avoided like the plague, and the cold shoulder feels great :wink: . But, whatever. I'll still probably try to show in example after example WHY I think the hat is brown. Maybe some will see it , maybe some won't WHO CARES! I'm just discussing it! It doesn't really matter in the greater scheme of things, but then, neither does anything else we talk about on this forum, but WE STILL TALK ABOUT 'EM. :wink:

have a nice day.
Serial Hero
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Serial Hero »

Man, this has turned into one ugly thread. Is it me or is it time to lock this one up?

P.S. "MY DAD CAN BEAT UP ALL YOUR DADS! TIMES INFINITE +2!"