Need Help From England Pals!

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

hank jr
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Need Help From England Pals!

Post by hank jr »

I will be in London at the beginning of August before heading to Oxford for a conference. I was wondering if any of you know how far it is from the British Museum to St. James and the famous hattery? I will be staying across from the museum and was curious if it was walking distance or should I take a cab or other to see the HJ in person.

Just trying to make the most of my trip.

Thanks,

Hank
cyclops
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by cyclops »

Hi,
Not far, but I guess it depneds on how much you walk - it is around 15/20 mins. walk (~1.5 miles).

It's a good route for taking in some nice shops - good book shops on Charing Cross Road and some very fine gentlemens outfitters on Jermyn Street.

Cheers
Cyclops
Vannevar
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Need Help From England Pals!

Post by Vannevar »

hank jr wrote:I will be in London at the beginning of August before heading to Oxford for a conference. I was wondering if any of you know how far it is from the British Museum to St. James and the famous hattery? I will be staying across from the museum and was curious if it was walking distance or should I take a cab or other to see the HJ in person.

Just trying to make the most of my trip.

Thanks,

Hank
Not too far, just use google maps:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?spn=0.019 ... +1JT&hl=en

FYI, it is the big red thing on the corner. I was looking for a herbert johnson SHOP, but it is inside another somewhat larger one, the indy hat, when I was there in november, is on the groundfloor to the right at the back. there is a black and white photo of harrison ford wearing it. if you can get a photo of their hats, let us know. I'm interested if their bash has changed since november.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

It's not far you can walk it, and the weather is great at the moment. August is the best time to visit London.

How long are you here? You have to take a trip to see Peter, if your pocket book can stand the temptation!

KT
Skippy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Riding the Mongolian steppes......or London, England.

Post by Skippy »

As others have said it's not a long walk (take it from a London policeman :wink: ) & there are good sights/shops on the way (look out for the stick & umbrella shop with it's original olde worlde facade near the British Museum).

The Herbert Johnson hats are in a red fronted shop at the Picadilly end of St. James' Street called Swain Adeney Brigg.
Honestly, it's a bit of disappointment, so as you come out of the shop turn right & walk away from Picadilly. On the left side of the road as you walk down, near the end towards St. James' Palace is Lock & Co. Hatters in their again olde worlde shop (they sell nice but expensive hat brushes 8) ).

A visit to Peter at Wested is HIGHLY recommended & can be reached by train from London Victoria to Swanley quite quickly & then a short taxi ride from the station to the workshop.

Vannevar wrote:
if you can get a photo of their hats, let us know. I'm interested if their bash has changed since november.
Don't hold your breath. When I last checked out their Indy hats in June, they were still a jumbled mess jammed down on top of each other, same as last year when the UK Summit was on.
I even found one hat with the bash put into the back of the hat! :shock: Pitful :evil: