size of indybag

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Dre
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

size of indybag

Post by Dre »

what are the dimensions of the mkvii?

i looked in a disposals store and found a gas mask haversack which is quite similar in look to the mkvii. but it didnt have the drain holes but other than that...looked good.

however it seemed a little small to be very practical. Are mkvii big enough to fit an a4 book in the bag? and is there any way to get the leahter strap cheap? anyone got any sources? by cheap i mean under $20 australian (maybe about $15 US)
Pandora
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Pandora »

here you can find the dimensions of the MK VII: http://www.indygear.com/gear/bag.shtml

If you are willing to pay 15 bucks for a nice strap, why not pay 19,99 $ and get one from Texas Action Gear? the problem with that are the shipping costs...

Or try to find a nice leather strap near you.
crazylegsmurphy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by crazylegsmurphy »

Hey,

The MKVII is pretty much useless for anything other than small stuff. Books, not really....DVD's you can jam like 4 in there though.

I really wish someone would design a "laptop" type bag with the MKVII look, or at the very least donate me an old beat up one that I can take apart and adjust the pattern to make a bigger bag.

I'm sure you can find some posts around here about what people carry in thier MKVII's...some people jam quite a bit in there.

As for the strap...the TAG strap is really good. I have one on my MKVII and it's pretty sweet.
Merrick
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Merrick »

Dre,

If the bag you looked at is the one Texas Jones pointed out, the one from Mitchells, it's the same size as a MkVII. Doesnt hold its shape as well when full of stuff, but the dimensions are the same. I think from memory, the flap is just a smidge shorter.
Major Eaton
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

bag

Post by Major Eaton »

True the mark VII is a bit small. I bought a repo from WhatPriceGlory. I was a bit disappointed at first at the dimensions when I opened the box (although I knew going in what the size was). However, now that I've been using it I love it. My messenger bag is plenty big but I tend to cram it full of @#$% and regret it when my back hurts when I get home. Thus th Mark VII keeps me honest on the amount I put in.

Deconstructing it and making one to your own specs is a good plan and looking at the rectangle construction, it should be pretty easy to do. Anyone know a good source for the canvass?
Andiana
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Southern California - The home of my 'home away from home'...Disneyland...

Post by Andiana »

The ones used int he films, I think, were made bigger. They just look it to me.
Indiana Williams
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Williams »

Andiana148 wrote:The ones used int he films, I think, were made bigger. They just look it to me.
Yeah for ToD, i dont think that the MkVII had the compartments, I mean 3 Shankara stones in one bag :roll:
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Thats why I don't have a MkVII. They are too small to be anything but a purse. :wink: :roll: :D
Indiana Williams
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Williams »

J_Weaver wrote:Thats why I don't have a MkVII. They are too small to be anything but a purse. :wink: :roll: :D
now that i have a MkVII i see what you guys mean but, i think that theyre awesome bags.i do alot of walking and stuff and they are perfect for holding small items.
Scandinavia Jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Scandinavia Jones »

Jpevh wrote:
Andiana148 wrote:The ones used int he films, I think, were made bigger. They just look it to me.
Yeah for ToD, i dont think that the MkVII had the compartments, I mean 3 Shankara stones in one bag :roll:
So they ended up using a Mk VI in ToD instead... a "roomier" bag, less compartments... :)

There was a custom-made front for the Sankara pyrotechnics on the Mk VI in the bridge scene, but other than that, the bags in the movies are normal-sized to my eyes at least... what alterations are you suggesting were made to them?
Andiana
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Southern California - The home of my 'home away from home'...Disneyland...

Post by Andiana »

As Jpevh wrote, there could have been NO way to fit the three Shankara Stones in a regular MK VII.
I think what they did was just make it a little bigger in width.

In the Indiana Jones Stunt Show at WDW, the stunt Indy had a HUGE MK VII repro. It has drain-holes and everything. :?

Maybe Lucasfilm has this large MK VII making company that they aren't letting public.....who knows? 8)
bastoon
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by bastoon »

is the mkVI larger than the mk VII :?:
Last Crusader
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Last Crusader »

Yes, the MkVI is a little bit bigger than the MkVII.
Scandinavia Jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Scandinavia Jones »

Yes, I believe the one I have is slightly bigger... it has less compartments, which makes it roomier.
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

I don't see why it couldn't hold 3 shankara stones unless they are much bigger than I think. They might be thicker than the thickness of the bag, but that wouldn't stop you from geting them in there. The gas mask is pretty big and it fits in there.