First Fedora

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

Jpevh, you'll want to measure your head with a tape measure going around the part of your head where the sweatband will sit (right above the ears). Then you can look on a hat chart and figure out your size from there.
http://www.hats.com/cgi-bin/Hats.storef ... emplate/61
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

If you're looking for the perfect Raiders look, I highly recommend the Adventurebilt fedora. However, if you're more of a Temple of Doom fan, the Akubra Federation is good for that stle, and a little less hard on the wallet. If it's the Last Crusade look that you like, an Akubra is good for that as well.

Alternatively, you can get yourself an all rabbit felt Adventurebilt, and have Steve "Fedora" Delk style it up for you in any style you like. I really believe he has the perfect stovepipe shaped block for Indy lids, and the man has an incredible eye for detail, and can style your hat to look like any scene you like. Steve also has the most fantastic customer service I've ever experienced.

My personal recommendation is to grab yourself an Adventurebilt. If you can afford the 100% beaver felt version, go with that. If you're looking to spend a little less, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the all rabbit version. J_Weaver has one, and is thrilled with it, so I understand. I really feel like it is worth your money to buy one hat, and be done with it, rather than buy a cheaper hat just to have one now, and ending buying the better hat later.

Regards,
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Strider wrote:J_Weaver has one, and is thrilled with it, so I understand.
Yes, you understand correct. :D Obviously, the quality of the AB is tops. As for the rabbit felt itself, well, I find Steves rabbit felt to be pretty similar to that of the Akubra Federation. My dad has a Federation about the same age, so it cool to see how the two hats age together. IMO, I think that Steve's rabbit felt is a little more dense and smooth. The Akubra rabbit felt seems to have a bit more "nap" to it. Its really hard to put into words. You kinda have to be able to handle both hats side by side.

There is no comparison in teh block shape between the Akubra and the AB. My dad's Akubra was tapered right out of the box. The only change I've seen in my AB have been for the better.

Well, I'll hush before I confuse anyone any more than I already have. :oops: What I'm really trying to say is that I don't think you'd be disappointed by a rabbit AB. Of course you won't be disappointed by the Akubra either, unless your looking for the perfect Raiders hat.
Indiana Williams
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Williams »

I wish i could buy an AB,but the price is too much for me,at least right now.i honestly wouldnt mind wearing a Camptown or an Keppler.I mean i could buy one but it would be that much longer before i could get some of the other gear,cause by xmas i plan on having a fedora,jacket,shirt,web belt,pants and,boots.maybe a MkVII too.then by this time next year i should have the rest of the gear.slow and steady, thats how im going to stay out of poverty.and BTW my hat size is 7 1/2.
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Jpevh, do you know about the AB discount for COW members. You could get a rabbit AB for the same as the Camptown and the Keppler.

I'm not trying to sway you one way or another, I'm just offering info. :wink:
Indiana Williams
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

i know about the discount but i figured a beaver/rabbit mix is better then a pure rabbit fedora.i wish there was a COW store that i could go to and check out these hats in person so i could make a better and easier choice.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Jpevh, yes, the decision on what hat to buy around here can be very daunting, especially when so many of us have our favourites. I love hats. Always have. And I've bought plenty over the years to know what I like and don't like. My personal experience with owning vintage hats has led me to fall in love with the AdventureBilt, but even a couple years ago I couldn't see myself spending over 200 clams on most any hat.

But buy only one hat in your lifetime and be done with it? Not me. It's too much of an addiction.

I will readily admit that I always recommend an AdventureBilt for its quality and relative low price for the superior quality you get with the hat. However, not everybody can shell out the cash. It's true. There are those of us who will tell you to go ahead and save/spend the extra money for the AdventureBilt. Is the AB worth the money? No question. But don't feel pressured into buying a specific hat because people tell you to. Even if I'm the one telling you to. It's no fun when you find you've got a nice hat, but can't afford to put food on your table beacause of it.

From what I've learned about the Keppler and Camptown hats, they are both very good fedoras. Yes, you can buy a rabbit AB for the same price as a rabbit/beaver blend Keppler or Camptown, but the ultimate choice is yours, and yours alone. Personally, I've prefered a rabbit/beaver blend felt over the pure rabbit of an Akubra hat. I cannot vouch for the AdventureBilt rabbit, though, since I've only owned and seen the 100% beaver AB. If you want a blend, go for the blend. And from what I've read, that's what you're leaning toward.

You have only so much money in which to purchase a fedora. Well, don't go over your budget if you don't need to or can't. Just because you buy a Keppler or a Camptown now, doesn't mean you're not allowed to save up for an AdventureBilt in the future. It also doesn't mean you have to only own one brand of hat, either. By what I'm hearing from you, either the Keppler or Camptown seems to be the fit for you and your current hat needs. I think it's great that you're trying to get as many opinions and as much feedback as possible to aid in your decision. Just remember that the choice is yours, not ours.

I also like that Indiana_Tone is offering to meet up with you in order to see the Keppler first hand. It would be great if there was a physical C.O.W. store where we could try on all the different makes of Indy hats, jackets, bags, and attire, but then none of us would ever leave the shop and we'd be thrown in jail for loitering.

At any rate, Jpevh, I think you'll make a wise choice whatever hat you end up with. Enjoy this hobby and the choices it brings, don't be frightened and coaxed into it. Good luck! :wink:

bink
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Indiana_Tone wrote:Bink, you always give the most honest and reasonable statements here. Ever try not to like someone and then just realize it can't be done due to their endeavoring sincerity?
HA! I folled 'em all again! Oh, how I love being a scoundrel.... :wink: Seriously, thanks for the compliment. I have to post like that once in a while just to keep myself focused on what is really important around here.

For me, collecting hats is a hobby I enjoy tremendously. If I had the money to buy a hat every week, goodness knows I'd probably do it! You are right in saying that the choices for a good Indy hat are better than ever these days. Heck, the good choices seem to have blossomed even since I've been around these parts! Our vendors (many equally fans) do their best to provide us gearheads with the best products they can offer. I really wish I had the cashflow to support every one of them. As it stands, if I can buy a couple good hats a year (new or vintage) then times are good. Though I'm a solid fan and client for the AdventureBilt, I really hope to be able to own a Camptown some day. I've even been greatly impressed with the ultra thin felt of Agent5's Optimo, though that, I will confess, is out of range for what I'm willing to spend on a hat.

Each hat I've owned (or still do) has its own personal magic that makes it a great hat. As long as the hat you purchase contains some of that magic for you, then it's a good buy, no matter if it's a Dorfman Pacific, Peters Brothers, Optimo, Akubra, Camptown, Keppler, or AdventureBilt.

Happy hat buying, everybody!

bink
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

Indiana_Tone wrote: I'm headed out to So Cal on the 17th.
What part of So Cal? We ought to hang out.

Regards,
DanoSaurus
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by DanoSaurus »

Just to throw in my 2 pennies...don't base your buying decision solely on material. The Keppler and Adventurebilt Rabbit are both around the same price, but even though the Keppler is a beaver blend I would still recommend the Adventurebilt because it is handmade, whereas the Keppler is still basically a mass produced hat. For example, the Keppler's liner is just glued in, unlike the AB which is carefully sewn in like they were in the old days.

I own a Keppler 6x beaver blend as well as two Adventurebilt 100% beavers. In my opinion, the Keppler felt feels no different than the all-rabbit fur felts I've handled and probably doesn't contain very much beaver at all. It feels like sandpaper compared to the AB beaver felt.

The point I'm trying to make is, don't choose the Keppler for it's beaver content.

Also consider there is usually a long wait time for a Keppler, sometimes on the order of several months.

Whichever you chose, they are both fine lids and I'm sure you'll enjoy it!
Indiana Williams
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Thanks everyone for your advice and suggestions.basically its come down to either a AB rabbit or a Keppler.after i meet up with Indiana_Tone this next weekend then i will be able to make a solid choice,because Tone is generious enough to meet up with me and let me check out his keppler first hand.and if i like it ill go with a keppler blend fedora but if lee doenst have my size then i will go with a AB rabbit from Fedora.
Indiana Williams
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

does Strider have the beaver or rabbit? but yeah it would be cool for all of us to meet up at Barons and then go have lunch.
Indiana Williams
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

elodies HJ is an awesome looking hat.Check these HJs out for $240.
Indiana Williams
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

which one ,the Indy fedora($233) or the poet($208).
Zach R.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Zach R. »

Why is the Indy fedora with a black lining almost 70 dollars cheaper? Because it doesn't have a crest in the liner?
Indiana Williams
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Zach R. wrote:Why is the Indy fedora with a black lining almost 70 dollars cheaper? Because it doesn't have a crest in the liner?
thats just another one of lifes mysteries.
Zach R.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Zach R. »

I guess they are kinda like the dented can of soup you get for half off at the supermarket.:P
Indiana Williams
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Zach R. wrote:I guess they are kinda like the dented can of soup you get for half off at the supermarket.:P
i wonder why they're 70 bucks cheaper.just cause the linings black :?
Zach R.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Zach R. »

That was exactly my question at 3:42AM(12:42 for you).:P
Indiana Wayne
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Wayne »

I bought a Herbert Johnson fedora with a black liner for $50 dollars in the Classifieds.

Felt quality: On a 1 to 5 scale, 5 being a rabbit AB, a HJ would be a 2 or 2 1/2. The Herbert Johnson is rabbit felt.
Jpevh wrote:which one ,the Indy fedora($233) or the poet($208).
The Indy fedora is a modified Poet fedora. If you get the Poet you would have to modify it to make it an Indy fedora.
Indiana Williams
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

so a rabbit AB is better then a HJ? the reason i ask is im going to buy a rabbit AB 8).so im glad to know ill be getting a quality hat.
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

From what I hear the rabbit AB blows the HJ out of the river. As a rabbit AB owner I can believe it. :)
Indiana Williams
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

and even though beaver is better in quality,the hats that harrison wore in the movies were made from rabbit.
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Yup, you got it. :wink: :D
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

The Adventurebilt fedora is also made by one of our own fellow fans. He worked really hard at researching the ones worn by Harrison Ford and replocked dozens of other people's fedoras before he started out with his own buisness.

Through out all the years while I was trying to find the perfect fedora, he was too. It seems right to get one from someone who was as obsessed as the rest of us on the perfect look.
Indiana Williams
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

well ive made my final decision and im for sure going with a rabbit Adventurebilt 8) the beaver ABs are really good looking but thats too much to spend for a first timer like me but my next hat will be a Beaver AB but until then the rabbit one will do me nicely.