Laptop bag replacement

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Bernard
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Laptop bag replacement

Post by Bernard »

Question for you all. I carry a laptop to work and am getting tired of the standard black bag my company provided. Any Ideas for a replacement that looks more rugged?

Thanks
Bernard
Forrest_Bell
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Laptop Bag

Post by Forrest_Bell »

First off, this is my first post and I want to thank everyone for a new addiction
(errr I mean hobby)

Secondly I myself looked alot at more rugged laptop bags and one i always liked was http://www.armynavydeals.com/asp/produc ... =8127&ST=2
That has a cool look to it and it seems to have enough pockets and space for a laptop.
Heres that same bag without the big markings on it http://www.armynavydeals.com/asp/produc ... =9128&ST=2

However i ended up just keeping my ugly black one that I have (after about 5 years it looks rugged enough :lol: )
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

Forrest, Welcome to the club!
A word of caution, I carried one of those Israeli Paratrooper bags through highschool and they have no padding at all. They are just simple canvas bags. My laptop bag is leather and rip-stop nylon from LL Bean. I have had it for ten years now and there is hardly a mark on it. Also, Swiss Army used to make some cool laptop bags, so I would do a search for them.
Band Director Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! Deep in the heart of Texas!

Post by Band Director Jones »

I don't remember where I saw it, but I came across a saddlebag that was actually made to hold laptops. It was leather on the outside, but had a removable padded sleeve on the inside of one pouch. The other pouch has holders for pens/pencils, business cards, disks, etc. It was on an internet shop, so it might be among all of my links. I see if I can find it.
Baggers
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Baggers »

C. C. Filson also makes laptop bags in their characteristic heavy waxed canvas with leather trim. They have two or three models, one of which has foam padding in addition to the usual pockets, shoulder strap, etc. A bit pricey, but made to last for years.

http://www.filson.com/index.html

If you find a style you want, check David Morgan's web site to see if they carry it. Their prices are always a bit less expensive.

http://www.davidmorgan.com/

Cheers!
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

Here is one that is very Indyesque.

http://www.hammacher.com/publish/72289. ... %20leather
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

And here is a more budget minded one in canvass and leather from Cabela's.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Bufflehead Jones wrote:Here is one that is very Indyesque.

http://www.hammacher.com/publish/72289. ... %20leather
looks a lot like henry jones' bag to me
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

Ooooh! I like the Hammacher Schlemmer bag a lot. The Cabelas isn't bad either and much more affordable. :)
Jens
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Jens »

Wow! That "Aero Squadron Satchel" looks great. Something for daily use at work / university ...
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

IndyJens wrote:Wow! That "Aero Squadron Satchel" looks great. Something for daily use at work / university ...
Yeah for university it's great but i mostly use my MkVII when i dont have to bring books with me :D
Just for notebook a nice MkVII is great and always admired lol :wink:
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

I have seen a much better picture of that Aero Squadron satchel in a catalog, and they have a website, but I couldn't get that picture online. It was the same bag, made by Scully Leather and it was the same price.

Scully leather has made a few other pieces in that 81st Aero Squadron collection. They have a carry on bag ($249), a duffel bag ($195), and a shaving kit ($64.95). The catolog that I mentioned also has a very nice Gladstone bag ($390) made by a different company.

Here is the catalog's phone number and website. I couldn't figure out how to navigate their website and get any product descriptions to come up. But, if you are interested in their products, you can either call them or maybe you can order a catalog from the website.

1-800-255-9034

www.russellsformen.com

Well, forget all that I said about not being able to navigate their website. It is working, now. I guess they were having some kind of problem the other day.

Here is the link to the satchel from their website.

http://www.russellsformen.com/03rch03it ... 21029.html
Band Director Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! Deep in the heart of Texas!

Post by Band Director Jones »

Well, I don't seem to have the link to the saddlebag/laptop case that I had seen. But here is a place, called Custom Hide that makes really good briefcases. There are a few member here who have briefcases made by this company. They have have a replica of a 1945 US Army briefcase made to hold laptops (1945 US Army Briefcase Laptop). It is very authentic looking. They also make a non-laptop version for those who just want a vintage looking briefcase.
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

BDJ,

Those are excellent looking bags. I may have to get one of those.
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Forrest, welcome to Club Obi Wan. Image

Nice avatar, BTW. :D
Luisiana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Luisiana Jones »

Sorry for my manners(what a delay on welcoming a new member), welcome to this forum Forrester! :wink:
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

:oops: :oops: :oops:
delayed welcome from Erri Wan
:oops: :oops: :oops:
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Bufflehead Jones wrote:And here is a more budget minded one in canvass and leather from Cabela's.
That is a very nice bag. Cabela's is opening a new store just 10 minutes from where I work. I can't wait to check them out in person.

Personally, I just use a Wilson's leather briefcase with some foam padding in the bottom. As hard as I am on my laptops, it seems to protect them enough.
Jens
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Jens »

Uh, you were new here?!

Ahem ... I ... *studder* ... welcome! :wink:
Jack Flanders
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Laptop Bag

Post by Jack Flanders »

Forrest_Bell wrote:First off, this is my first post and I want to thank everyone for a new addiction
I have the paratrooper bag and the messenger bag on these pages, they are not laptop material, they are floppy canvas bags, you'll probably want something stiffer.
By the way, you're hooked.
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

Bernard,

This is the brief bag I use every day for work. It can hold a laptop with accessories. It is made by Schlesinger. Prices may vary. I got mine for $100 out in Reno at a luggage shop in the mall when I was living in Nevada.

http://www.shoesbuyer.com/16772.htm
If you ckick on the photo of the bag it will take you to ebags.com. They're too expensive but I'm sure you may be able to find it for way less. The site is just for specs.

Cheers!

Dan
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Pyroxene wrote:Personally, I just use a Wilson's leather briefcase with some foam padding in the bottom. As hard as I am on my laptops, it seems to protect them enough.
I stopped at a Wilson's outlet yesterday and they carry some very nice laptop bags that should distress nicely with everyday wear and tear.