Holder Question

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Gilly
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Holder Question

Post by Gilly »

I tried to use my whip holder yesterday for the first time. However my problem is that when I put my whip, a JS 10 footer, in the holder the handle ends up sliding down so that it is down at my boots. :? Am I doing something wrong, do I need to tie the whip somehow so that it doesnt do that. All I am doing is coiling it up and then snapping the holder closed. Do I need to wrap the fall around the whipto help hold it? And if I do how do I do it?

Thanks for the help
conceited_ape
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by conceited_ape »

Anybody? :?
I've been dying to find a solution to this for years!
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

OK, a couple of suggestions for this dilemma. First of all you need to have the handle of the whip to be snapped into the holder. This is from experience of using a standard Keppler whip holder. The other possibility is to line the inside of the whip holder with a thin layer of rubber, like from an inner tube. Or you can also try rubber cement on the inside.

I will try posting some pictures to demonstrate the point.

-S
TheOther Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by TheOther Jones »

Well, this problem is really tough to battle. Here are some solutions:
1. You could put the handle in the holder (like Indy in the Well of Souls),
2. You could line the inside of the whip holder with a piece of rubber,
3. You could shorten the holder so that it grips the whip better.
Wrapping the fall around the thong also works, because it creates a sort of "whip stop". Here's how you do it: just wrap the fall around the coiled thong a few times, then make a loop out of the loose end and insert it under the last but one fall coil (I hope you can understand what I'm trying to say). Then tighten it by pulling on the loop. Hopefully, you'll work it out.
TheOther Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by TheOther Jones »

Looks like we were posting at about the same time, Sergei :D
Minnesota Jones
Admin Emeritus

Post by Minnesota Jones »

You're not alone. If you see some of the behind the scenes shots - one comes to mind of ROTLA - Well of Souls Scene, the whip's handle is so "out of whack" it's practically hitting the ground. So Harrision has the same problems we do. His solution was probably have a grip (or himself) recoil the whip and redue it between scenes! :D

That probably doesn't help us thou..... :wink:

If I'm using the whip for show (i.e. costume) and not going to whip it, I'll coil it up and wrap the fall around her. That helps A LOT!
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

But if not done right, you have tremendous whip slip. And yeah, I heard that they wired the coil with thin wire on some of the action scenes. Here's the picture you are referring to, MJ.

-S