?'s for anyone who has owned more than one pair of aldens

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Mat Cauthon
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

?'s for anyone who has owned more than one pair of aldens

Post by Mat Cauthon »

I have been thinking of purchasing a pair of aldens for some time now and I was wondering how long do these shoes last before they need to be replaced? I have been wearing a pair of vans shoes for about 2 years now and they still have some wear to go befor they need to be replaced. If a regular pair of shoes lasts that long how long would you guess a pair of aldens will last me?

The reason I ask is because they are so expensive and I figure they had better last a loooooooooooong time befor they wear out.

Another issue I am concerned with is that I am only 18 years old and I do not want to grow out of them. My shoe size has not changed in 3 years now so would you say that I am pretty safe to get them without worring about out growing them???

Thanks

Brendon
Illinois Troy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Illinois Troy »

The Alden is a well made and very tough shoe....6 yrs., 5 continents later, and my Alden's look great and feel great. Im sure others on this forum can attest to that as well.

As far as sizing goes, I'm sure it's different for each individual. I can tell you my shoe size hasn't changed since I was 18, so I don't think you'd have a problem there, but I defer to anyone else thats experience differs.

You won't be disappointed with them. Cheers!

Illinois
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

Well, just to give you my experience. I love my Aldens. However I don't wear them as often as some of the guys here because they don't always go with more feminine outfits. I don't think you'll have that obstacle though. Now with that in mind that I don't wear them often. (I've had my boots for 2 years as of last week and I wear them mainly with my Indy costume, which isn't that often and then maybe once or twice a month on top of that.) I will say the heel has worn down awfully fast and unevenly. Probablyhas soemthing to do with the way I walk. But still, I'm amazed at how fast the heel is wearing down. With that, I doubt it'll be that expensive to replace at a local cobbler when they REALLY get worn down. I do think you'll be happy with a pair that fits well.
Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jess »

The soles of my Alden's last about a year before they need to be replaced.
eaglecrow
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by eaglecrow »

I'm wearing mine in the 5. year now. They are real good, well made shoes although they have some slightly bad things, like thong sliping.
Now after 4 1/2 years of wearing, I traveld through 7 or 8 countrys, a few hikes (which shouldn't be done on longer hikes), etc. They look really well worn and very Indy.
I have a second pair for Saturday night-outs and speccial efents, but I guess they will become a part of my "battledress" this year :wink:
Mat Cauthon
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Mat Cauthon »

Thanks for the replys everybody. Some time in the middle of summer I will probably order a pair and hope like heack that for some strange reason my feet don't grow again after 3 years of not growing.

Whats the best way to figure out the right size?

Brendon
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

I just received my Aldens, but I'm sure they will last for years. As for the size, I don't think your feet will grow anymore. I'm 20 and my feet haven't grown in 5 or 6 years.
Mat Cauthon
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Mat Cauthon »

Cool, I hope you enjoy your new shoes J_Weaver :D

Brendon
Mystique
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Alden Longevity

Post by Mystique »

I have owned my pair for 6 years and they sure are well broken in. The heels do seem to wear quickly, but if you're walking on terrain (sand, soil, tundra) as opposed to the pavement, the heels will probably last longer. I've hitch-hiked with mine for 3 weeks and the asphalt really punishes them. Luckily no holes or unseaming have occurred as of this post. Pecarding them helps too. The other pair I bought three years ago when Alden used to have a clearance rack in their showroom on Kearney Street. SF. They no longer have the clearance rack. The last time I checked on my vacation last month.