The Least Expensive Indy Fedoras

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Well i just got an avirex A-2 on ebay for 11euro, not bad. When it arrives i will post pics of it for sure :wink:
Feuerstoss
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by Feuerstoss »

Hm... this might be an older topic(and my first post), but I figured I'd put in some input. Firstly, I've been a lurker on the COW forums for a couple of months or so. I'm working on a slightly shoestring budget, but I do quite a bit of wandering around, hiking, and et cetera. I'd need something inexpensive, something I wouldn't mind too terribly much if it was beaten a bit, if not downright abused(albeit fairly rarely).

I do like the Raiders look quite a bit, but I think I pull off the ToD/LC look a lot better. I took a quick poke around Ebay, and saw a lot of 'Indyesque" hats for sale; most of them being el cheapo costume hats(ick), completely different styles of fedora(Outback's Kodiak being one of 'em, great wet weather fedora, but not even close), and the better-looking 'official' Dorfman. Luckily, I ended up stumbling on a local shop which had a number of Dorfmans for sale, so I could try before I buy. For the grand total of $46(including tax), I walked out paying about as much as I would have on Ebay. I also found that I needed a small instead of a medium, which helped immensely.

At first, I was a little disappointed. I had owned a Stetson wool fedora back in high school(not too long ago), and the Dorfman felt nothing like it. Felt too cardboardy, too fragile, and the ribbon pin was kinda gaudy, so that got removed. Compared to the Kodiak which I had been wearing extensively beforehand, it also felt as if it would tke off in a gentle breeze(which it did). However, I decided to stick with it and give it a try.

I've had the Dorfman for about a month now, and it's seemed to develop a bit of character all its own. I've had nice comments about it from day one, although only one person made an Indy comment(I really need a more accurate jacket than my black car coat). It fits a lot better, and even though I've accidentally rolled over on it a few times, it pops back out to its intended shape nicely. There's a slight amount of distortion on the brim from a pretty serious fall a couple of weeks ago, but even that's not too noticable.

In short, for the price, I'm very satisfied with the Dorfman. Its looks might be ToD/LC instead of Raiders, and admittedly it's not exactly totally screen accurate. I do want to get an AB soon enough(although, the Wested is what I'm shooting for next), but even then, the Dorfman will accompany me on the random spelunking or long hike.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Welcome aboard, Feuerstoss! You're never too late for a thread or topic around here. I started this topic specifically for folks like you who were on a shoestring budget. Sure, there are a lot of nice pricier hats out there, but I'm glad you found something you liked that fit your budget. What's more, you're happy with it, so that's all that matters.

It will likely be recommended that you scotch guard your hat, especially if it is a wool felt. I think there's some discussion about it in this thread, if I recall. Just be aware that if you choose to scotch guard your hat that you use the right can and application technique. (I can't remember which can you should use off hand.)

It's also nice to hear fans who say they wear the ToD/LC look. Viva variety! I hope you stick around! :wink:

bink