horse/goat....how do they break in?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

guitone
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

horse/goat....how do they break in?

Post by guitone »

I am looking at an A2 at the moment, maybe without the epaulets, but I am not sure (not worried about accuracy on this one)...so I am wondering how these different hides look? I have heard that the goat will pretty much stay as new, while the horse will get nice creases in the arms and body..so I am wondering, over time, which will drape better, look better. I am looking at a jacket from US Authentic at the moment, also from Flightsuite. Thanks in advance.
lowmileage
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by lowmileage »

Hi Guit,
I have 2 A2's - a HH and a goat. What I have are 2 entirely different jackets. The HH is at least twice (?maybe 3x) heavier than the goat. I use it for winter conditions and it is large enough that I can layer underneath it - but it stands up by itself in a way that it doesn't look too big on me without layering. The goat, much thinner, is my spring jacket. Snug fit. Since it is more thin and "flexable", if it were too big (like the HH) I couldn't get away with it. In my instance, 2 different jackets for 2 different weather conditions. Maybe you can get leather samples to check on the thickness?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

When I read the subject line, the first thought that crossed my mind was 'with the proper burglar tools, they can do the job just about the same way!", but decided that wasn't what you meant. :roll: :wink: Regards! Michaelson
guitone
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by guitone »

I just got a jacket for US Authentic to try...the goat is just great feeling and lookng, much nicer then the Flightsuite I tried, but the jacket is too big, I think I would need a 38....so I will try one of those now...very nice jacket...don't know if I will do anything custom or not (the only things I thought of were, as I am not in to an authentic A2) no epaulets, side pockets and an inside pocket...
Thanks
Rob
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Rob »

My HH is absolutely creasing up all over the place. Indeed, some part of the hide already had thousands of very fine creases running all over the place to beginwith.
Neolithic
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Neolithic »

After over a year and wearing it a heap, I'm still waiting for my Wested goat to show much signs of aging. Boo-hoo. :(
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

Michaelson wrote:When I read the subject line, the first thought that crossed my mind was 'with the proper burglar tools, they can do the job just about the same way!", but decided that wasn't what you meant. :roll: :wink:
Custom horse shoes, you say? :-k
That's a business idea right there... I'll let you in, 15% on the winnings is about fair, right? 8)

I own a Wested goat and about the first sign of any wear that happened to me was the sleeves wrinkling up quite nicely, and even more so after wearing it in the rain for a while. (Accidentaly, though it helped the fit.)

Well, this is a Wested of course, and I believe they finish the hide in another manner than some of the other makers' goat jackets that might make them a bit different. The general idea though I believe is right; Goat is a bit tough to break in, but it can be done with either the right wait or the right methods. ;)

Regards,
Swindiana