Leather samples/jacket holdup - EDIT: Samples Received!

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Dre
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Leather samples/jacket holdup - EDIT: Samples Received!

Post by Dre »

I ordered some leather samples to decide what to get my jacket in, however this was over 3 or 4 weeks ago since they sent them and they still have not arrived. I wonder if anyone else has had similar problems? possibly due to losing it in the mail, customs/quarantine restrictions and processes and whatnot.

Ive emailed gemma and i think she might be sending some more. not sure if im being too impatient or if there is actually a problem like lost mail?
Last edited by Dre on Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

It's more than likely just lost in the mail. These samples don't go through customs, per se, as they're not merchandise, but just pieces of leather. I've had more than one sample package get lost in the mail in the travels from Wested to my door, but soon or later, they get there. Be patient. You'll receive your samples. Regards! Michaelson
Merrick
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Merrick »

Australian customs are just trying to work out how much to charge you duties... :lol:
Dre
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dre »

duties? unlikely...im not buying the product =P no cost...no tax?

which is why when i get my jacket ill get them to label it as a gift :)
Andy Inna
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Andy Inna »

Wested has promised to send me samples on 3 separate occasions, but none ever arrived.
antiquity collector
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by antiquity collector »

They sent me samples which after 5 weeks never arrived. They then sent a 2nd batch which showed up in a week. Then 3 days later the 1st set arrived. Blame it on the mail system.

AC
Dre
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dre »

oh ok, well they've sent a 2nd lot out. hopefully at least one of them shows up =)

thanks for the input
Merrick
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Merrick »

Dre wrote:duties? unlikely...im not buying the product =P no cost...no tax?

which is why when i get my jacket ill get them to label it as a gift :)
Good idea, I was kidding about the duties on the samples though :lol:
Rob
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Rob »

Gotta say, the need for samples just never arose for me... I think the leathers, and the descriptions you can find on COW, are pretty self-explanatory. You want butter soft, you take lamb. You want a standard leather jacket, you take cow. You want something more exotic, you take goat or horse.
Dre
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dre »

Rob: The pictures vary greatly - and perhaps the samples give a better example of what the batch i might get will be compared to what other people say?

plus nothing would compare to actually feeling the leather. or just seeing how soft/stiff the goat is or thickness and whatnot.

AND testing wether shinyness of goat goes away after beating it around a bit or rubbing alcohol on it. I just cant decide on the leather from all the talk as alot of people seem to say contridictory things and alot of the answers for different leathers never seem definintive.

Im leaning heavily towards lamb now as it's the original from the movie, supposedly looks the closest to movies and would feel good to wear. However, it sounds like it isnt strong but i just want to know HOW strong...which is also something i'll test when getting the samples. and i want to know how thin the lamb is - if it's paper thin i definetely dont want it .Cow sounds too thick/too unlike the movie jacket in drape, as with horse.

goat sounds like the other option but might not look/feel good enough due to shine and stiffness.

samples are essential for me to make my mind up.
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

This is another good reason for organizing or attending a summit. The best sample of a jacket is to see it on another GearHead. I recently saw a cowhide US Wings jacket on someone and it changed my opinion of cowhide. I have seen goat Westeds I thought were lambskin until I touched them. I don't know if this is possible in yoour area, but you really do learn a lot. :wink:
IndyBlues
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndyBlues »

I asked for samples last year, before ordering my goatskin Indy from Wested... I waited about a month, and when they didn't show up, I grew impatient, and just ordered what I thought was best for my needs, from what people had posted here. It took about 7 weeks to get my brand new custom Wested, and get this....

2 days later, I get my samples. :x

It was post marked correctly, so it was DEFINATELY the mail system.
So, don't fret, you'll get them if it is your "destiny". :wink:
'Blues
antiquity collector
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by antiquity collector »

I ordered my 1st jacket with lamb without seeing samples because it was the film leather. It still is a great jacket after almost 10 years. Only a tear on one pocket which snagged on something which I could send back to Peter to fix. Lamb is a tough leather as long as you don't run by nails or rose bushes.

I ordered samples before ordering my 2nd because of all the new leathers and the appearance of the new Authentic color. I wanted to see how the color varied from leather to leather.

I went with goat on the 2nd just to have something a little heavier for trips to NY in winter (although the Lamb never failed me there).

On my next one I'm going with another lamb. It breaks in a bit easier for softness. It's actually so soft right out of the box as where you have to beat on the goat to soften it up. But they're almost identical.

I'd highly recommend Lamb as your 1st way to go. You will NOT regret it.

AC
Dre
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dre »

thanks antiquity collector ill keep it in mind =)

so according to this particular thread...goat is pretty close to lamb (at least after a while). still cant decide =P

but i will definetely wait for the samples...even if it does take a while. id prefer to make the most informed decision or else none at all
Rob
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Rob »

Dre, personally I don't think swatches of leather are going to answer all your questions, particularly the feel and drape of the jacket (they just won't give the full feel), but they should help with the colour and the grain of the leather, if nothing else. Do note, however, that if you're going for dark brown or authentic brown, they're essentially the same colour across all the leathers.
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

Indeed. The "authentic brown" is "authentic brown" whether goat or lamb. The goat might be just a wee bit of a hint slightly darker, but I think that has more to do with the texture and overall look of goat that what the dye job has done to the different leathers.

In the end, whatever you decide on; I'm 100% sure you'll be 100% happy with it... Plus, you'll probably want two jackets soon enough anyway and then you can get the one you didn't pick the first time. ;)

Let us know, I for one am always keen to know. :D

Regards,
Swindiana
Dre
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dre »

it's been over a month and a half since they sent the samples...think it's safe to assume ill never get them? or might they still be on their way?
they sent a 2nd lot out a few weeks ago.

Im very weary about ordering my jacket without having ALL the info on different leathers.

Im leaning towards lamb, but it really depends how thin it is. is it really really thin? I saw what looked to me like it could have been lamb the other day and it was *extremely* thin...too thin.

And on the other side, how thin is goat? I think if goat was the right thickness (not to thin, but then not *very* thick) and the shin went away, and it was comfortable enough, then i'd choose goat?
Bjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bjones »

Better to just wait for the samples. What one guys calls thin or thick may be different than what you have in mind. But relatively speaking, the lamb will probably be lighter (and maybe thinner) than goat. From there you have cow hide and horsehide. If you are set on a Wested, I'm sure you will be happy with whatever you decide. I chose the horsehide (well, because its horsehide!) knowing it would be pretty thick and heavy. It was moreso than I had expected but still fell in love instantly. Every batch will differ some. I would (if I were you) chose based on category: light, medium, heavy, heaviest. Figure out what you need from your garment. I wanted durability so that's what I went with.
Dre
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dre »

Bjones wrote:Better to just wait for the samples. What one guys calls thin or thick may be different than what you have in mind. But relatively speaking, the lamb will probably be lighter (and maybe thinner) than goat. From there you have cow hide and horsehide. If you are set on a Wested, I'm sure you will be happy with whatever you decide. I chose the horsehide (well, because its horsehide!) knowing it would be pretty thick and heavy. It was moreso than I had expected but still fell in love instantly. Every batch will differ some. I would (if I were you) chose based on category: light, medium, heavy, heaviest. Figure out what you need from your garment. I wanted durability so that's what I went with.
i chose a ToD authentic brown goatskin when i ordered last week. thanks for your advice =) I was thinking hard about lamb...but then if i got lamb i know i'd worry alot about ripping it or damaging it in some way, so i went with goat for durability and similarity to the look (drape?) of lamb.
Hope it's finished soon! i cant wait!
Wrightknife
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Wrightknife »

Dre, you have chosen...wisely. :D You ordered the same exact jacket specs as I did. Let me tell you that you won't be disappointed. The goat is not too thick and mine is very soft and was when it arrived. I have been wadding it up and sitting on it and rubbing it to help break it in and reduce the shine. I have never seen a nicer garment than these jackets.

Good Luck,
Bjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bjones »

Dre wrote: i chose a ToD authentic brown goatskin when i ordered last week. thanks for your advice =) I was thinking hard about lamb...but then if i got lamb i know i'd worry alot about ripping it or damaging it in some way, so i went with goat for durability and similarity to the look (drape?) of lamb.
Hope it's finished soon! i cant wait!
Glad to be of help. Goat was my second choice when the HH situation was at its darkest hour, and if you are looking for durability and have some of the drape, goat seems like the best choice
Dre
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dre »

heh wouldnt you know it...i got the leather samples today!
at a glance i'd say the lamb looks nicer...finer grain and feels softer. if it wasnt for durability i'd change my order to lamb...but i assume goat is much more durable than lamb.

lamb doesnt seem *that* weak, but im sure after a few years there might be a situation where it would likely rip
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Yeah, but if you are anything like Indiana Tone, nothings going to be tough enough! :)

KT
Dre
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dre »

Kt Templar wrote:Yeah, but if you are anything like Indiana Tone, nothings going to be tough enough! :)

KT
well im not going to get myself dragged behind any trucks or anything.
But i might go bushwalking one day and i wouldnt want my jacket to be ruined by a random twig or branch or something. as much as i love lamb...goat'll ahve to do =P

maybe somewhere down the line ill get lamb for situations where i wont find myself near anything sharp
Dre
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dre »

Indiana_Tone wrote:
Kt Templar wrote:Yeah, but if you are anything like Indiana Tone, nothings going to be tough enough! :)
KT
Hey, I've switched to medium sandpaper! The jackets have a much better chance now. :|

Dre wrote: well im not going to get myself dragged behind any trucks or anything.
But i might go bushwalking one day and i wouldnt want my jacket to be ruined by a random twig or branch or something. as much as i love lamb...goat'll ahve to do =P

maybe somewhere down the line ill get lamb for situations where i wont find myself near anything sharp
Dre, sounds like the perfect choice for you in going with the goat. I had the exact same concerns when signing up and am still very wishy-washy when it comes to hides but only because I like them all. I think the HH is probably the "toughest" jacket to be had; goat looks great and has the resilience to withstand scrapes and brushes in everyday use; yet oddly enough, I'm a huge fan of the lamb and very glad I got this one first. The finish and drape is just INDY. Since your concerns seem to be with accurate color and longevity of the jacket overall, goat is a great decision! I would like to attest (as most lamb-owners have) that lamb is not paper thin and doesn't tear or scrape as easily as you'd think. There have been a few times I brushed it against something and expected to see this huge gash or scrape mark that "ruined" the lamb. No marks. The lamb holds up very well.
I think if it says Wested on it, you'll love it no matter what. :D
yep i think Goat seems the best choice for me. though the drape/how it hangs is also important - i'd like to have some screen accuracy with the look, but it sounds like goat should have a similar drape to lamb? I do love the lamb, but yeah...i'd worry far too much. maybe down the line ill go and buy a lamb as well
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

IMO the goat drapes very well. :)
Dre
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dre »

does the goat actually drape like the lamb/like the jacket in the movies? or at least very similarly? with a bit of wear
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Well, the goat isn't gonna drape exactly like the lighter lamb, but it drapes very well. IMO it drapes pretty similar to what is seen on screen. The more you wear the jacket the better it looks. Besides, if Indy was real his jacket would likely have been goatskin or horsehide. :)
Indiana Williams
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Williams »

J_Weaver wrote: Besides, if Indy was real his jacket would likely have been goatskin or horsehide. :)
whats wrong with the lamb,is the goat or horse better?
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Well, nothing is wrong with the lamb, its just that its not as tough as the goat or horse. Lambskin is a lighter softer leather. The goat and horse are strong leathers, it lakes quite a bit to scratch and scrape them. Also flight jackets of the era were usually goat or horse. :)
Indiana Williams
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

so when i finally get around to getting my wested it would be better to get a goatskin jacket instead of lamb?
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

I've just been thinking: if Wested had made all of the Raiders jackets in horsehide, maybe it wouldn't have taken five or six of them to film the truck dragging scene.
Indiana Williams
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

how do you go about getting leather samples from wested?
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

All you have to do is ask :)

Drop Gemma an email with the colours and skins you want to know about and they will cut a bit from an offcut for you. As long as you don't go mad I think they will try to accomodate.

I have a feeling they send samples out by the cheapest post possible as they must get so many requests it doesn't pay to send every one by airmail. Maybe that's why we see people having to wait so long for theirs to turn up.

KT
Indiana Williams
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Kt Templar wrote:All you have to do is ask :)

Drop Gemma an email with the colours and skins you want to know about and they will cut a bit from an offcut for you. As long as you don't go mad I think they will try to accomodate.

I have a feeling they send samples out by the cheapest post possible as they must get so many requests it doesn't pay to send every one by airmail. Maybe that's why we see people having to wait so long for theirs to turn up.

KT
Gemma :? is that a person or a company?(forgive my ignorence. :oops: )how would i contact them?
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Yes, Gemma is the secretary at Wested. Just use the email contact at wested.com if you head it with her name it might help a little. Never hurts to ask nicely.

:)

KT
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Jpevh wrote:so when i finally get around to getting my wested it would be better to get a goatskin jacket instead of lamb?
Well, it really depends on what you plan to do while wearing your jacket. If your looking for a jacket to wear around town then the lamb is fine. However, if you plan on doing a lot of hiking in your jacket then I'd say get the goat. The goat is tough, I've had mine over a lot of tough terrain and its only beginning to show some minor wear.
Indiana Williams
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Thanks KT, i will contact Gemma for a couple of samples.
Indiana Williams
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

J_Weaver wrote:
Jpevh wrote:so when i finally get around to getting my wested it would be better to get a goatskin jacket instead of lamb?
Well, it really depends on what you plan to do while wearing your jacket. If your looking for a jacket to wear around town then the lamb is fine. However, if you plan on doing a lot of hiking in your jacket then I'd say get the goat. The goat is tough, I've had mine over a lot of tough terrain and its only beginning to show some minor wear.
well, i plan on wearing my jacket everywhere :) .i think ill get a sample of lamb and goat so i can see which one i like better.
Indiana
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana »

When I was at Wested, I got to feel, and hold each of the different types of leather jackets. THe cow is very heavy, while goat weighs only a little more than lamb. sure, it might have been lamb in the movies, but goat is very durable, and weighs only a little more. I went with goat, and I love it.