Why do we skimp on boots?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Why do we skimp on boots?

Post by J_Weaver »

Looking at all the post an reading all the discussion on close enough boots got me to thinking. Why is it that most of us don't think twice about spending $300+ on a jacket, $250 on a hat, but when it comes to boots no body wants to spend any money. Most all of us (yes, me too) want the a pair of Aldenish boots at a cheap price. If you think about it quality boots are just as hard to make as a quality jacket or hat. I wonder why most of us (myself included) find it so hard to spend $300 on a pair of top quality boots. The quality of the Alden boots in the boot world is just as good as the quality of a Wested in the jacket world or the Adventurebilt in the hat world. And on top of that think about how important footwear is. If your feet hurt you feel bad all over. I know I can remember times when I've been hiking with all the best equipment, but was totaly miserable because a boot was rubbing the top of my right litte toe. I think that anyone that spends a lot of time on their feet will tell you how importable proper, comfortable foot wear is.

Of course I realize that not everybody here needs top quality footwear. You don't need a pair of $300 boots for an adventure at the mall or to wear at the office. But I was wondering, why are some of us so reluctant to spend money on boots when we would spend the same on a jacket or hat without much debate? :-k :)
FloatinJoe
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by FloatinJoe »

I for one am holding off buying my Aldens just until I can try them on... I have real issues buying footware without putting them on my feet first. Whenever I travel to a part of the country that has a store that carries Aldens, they get a visit from me to see if they can accomodate. So far I've had no luck.

Going on another trip to Connecticut this week, and we'll take another shot. Hopefully it'll work this time.

Mike
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Here are the two reasons why I think that is:

1.) The hat and jacket are the signature pieces of Indiana Jones gear. When people think Indy, they think of a guy in a brown hat and jacket, not a guy in moccasin-toed work boots.

2.) Also, when you meets someone, what's the first part of you they look at? Your head. Followed by your torso, then down to your pants and shoes. So your upper-body is kinda the part that gives people their first impression of you.

Anybody else got any good reasons? :junior: -IJ
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

That's an excellent question, Mr. Weaver. I think IJ has a good point that folks care more about the jacket and hat for the Indy look than the shoes. I, for one, have never received a "Hey, Indy!" comment based off my Aldens alone. Although we'll spend the money on a repro hat or jacket, apart from an original MKVII, the Aldens are the only truly screen accurate piece of Indy gear because they still make the same boot they made in the 80s. (Sure, you can argue the color, but that's not the point.)

I think most people skimp on footwear. I can't anymore because my feet simply won't put up with a shoe or boot that doesn't have good support. And since the Aldens do provide the support I need (with an added metatarsal support for my individual needs) the boots are worth the money.

I also understand floatinjoe's desire to try on a pair before buying them. I think that's an excellent idea. With the whole "buy a half size smaller" debate, who wants to spend the money only to get a shoe that doesn't fit properly. That's why I cannot emphasize enough the importance of getting professionally measured for these shoes if you can. floatinjoe, I would recommend the following. Open your local phone book and call the orthopedic shoe stores in your area. Ask if any of them carry, or can order Aldens. If so, go down to one of the shops, have them measure you for your Aldens, and order them through the shop. If they come in and don't fit, you're not out any money at the shoe store. They'll just reorder you a proper size and it won't cost you an extra penny. :wink:

bink
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

All of you guys have made good points. In fact, I agree with you guys. Clinton, I've also read that a few people have had issues with the boots, but that seems to be the exception rather than the rule. I guess with any product a lemon is bound to be produced every now and then. There is no arguement that for $300 you can get boots much more durable than the Aldens. I have a pair of Alico mountaineeering boots I got on sale for about $200. There is no doubt that they are twice as durable as the Aldens. But of course the Aldens aren't mountaineering boots either. So its really not fair to compare them.

I don't want to hijack my own thread, but here's a question for all of you Alden owners. Are they worth the price? Don't say yes, because thats what Indy wore. :roll: I'm talking about the quality, comfort and support of the boot itself. :)
Alabama Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Alabama Jones »

Good question!

As someone who has "looked around" and just recently acquired a pair of Aldens, ler me say simply ... There is no substitute! Yeah, its easy for me to say becaue I now have a pair, but trust me nothing else will do. These boots are unique and you can't truly understand until they arrive and you slip them on your feet. After all these years of watching the films/DVDs obsessing about the hat and the jacket etc... I now find myself looking at the boots. :oops:

Don't waste another minute looking for substitutes (unless its a "stunt pair" for your REAL ones) save your pennies now and get a pair of Aldens. You won't regret it. :wink:

EDIT: and to answer your last question Weaver, would I have paid nearly $300.00 for a pair of boots is Indy hadn't worn them? .... no .... but now that I have them, and see the quality and feel the comfort ... is it worth it? ... Yes! And think how important your FEET are to your everyday being compared to other gear parts. One could argue these are the best investment of all! Not to mention they may be the one item of gear you can actually wear the most in every day life.
Feraud
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Feraud »

For me it is the age old question of 'close enoughs' vs. price, durability, looks, comfort, etc.

How long will a Wested jacket, fedora or pair of Alden's last? My lambskin Wested will last me at least 10-15 years of everyday use. It's not like I am getting dragged under trucks... :lol:

The Akubra's have a good reputation for durability. I wear mine 5-6 times a week and it it getting more comfortable with use. If/when it needs a re-block, I do not think the price is out of line for what I paid for the hat. My next hat will be because I want a new one, not because I need it. :)

My questions for Alden owners is, how long do the soles last on them with constant use? How much is a resole? Am I paying $300 for a pair of boots to need a resole in a year or so? Would sending them to Alden to get resoled cost me 30-40% of the cost of the boots? I have 'close enoughs' that are totally comfortable, look good and were bought for good prices.

Yet the allure of a pair of Alden's grows....
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Thanks Alabama, you answered my questions. :D

I think a resole will cost you around $30. I know if I get a pair the first thing I'm gonna do is have the soles replace with something with more tread. I may have the Gro-Cord sole put on them. They have a good tread but they won't alter the looks of the boot.

Gro-Cord: Click Here
Cyber Jones
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Cyber Jones »

I think that the Aldens look great and would have no qualms in spending that much cash on shoes that would last a lifetime. However, I would HAVE to try them on. I've got a foot size that is somewhere between 8 and 8 1/2, depending on the shoe model. Can't see myself getting across the pond any time soon to get fitted in the shop so...

At least, I can pick up a good pair of 'near enough' Red Wings on Tottenham Court Road :D
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

J_Weaver wrote: I don't want to hijack my own thread, but here's a question for all of you Alden owners. Are they worth the price? Don't say yes, because thats what Indy wore. :roll: I'm talking about the quality, comfort and support of the boot itself. :)
I think so. My Aldens are my work shoes, my play shoes, and the shoes I wear every day. I dont baby them, except for the ocasional polish for the job interview, etc. The soles are durable, though the heel cap may need to replaced after a year a so. And even then, I'm sure your local cobbler could order the right heel and do the job cheaper and quicker than having to send it back to Alden. Personally, I wouldn't replace the sole, though if you need more traction, I understand there's something you can "glue" to the bottom of the sole.

Are they worth the money? In my opinon, yes. Worth every penny. I purchased them half as Indy boots and half because they are orthopedic shoes. As I stated before, I can no longer skimp on footwear. Having worn these shoes nearly every day since I've gotten them, they've held up better than any other shoe I've had. They are comfortable and I can wear them all day without killing my feet. I'm considering getting a second pair of Aldens (slightly different style) in black at some point, not because they are Indy shoes, but because my 405's have sold me on the quality of the product. I would wear Aldens regardless of the Indy connection. Does that answer your question? :wink:

bink
Feraud
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Feraud »

$30 bucks is not bad for a resole.
There is an Alden store in NYC on Madison Avenue. I should pop in there lunchtime and se if they stock the 405's. I would like to try 'em on and judge the fit and finish.
Rabittooth
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rabittooth »

I found the Aldens to be stiff and uncomfortable. I know...everyone here who owns them says they're not uncomfortable. Whether they have different personal criteria for comfort, or they are just trying to rationalize an expensive purchase for the hobby, I don't know. Maybe they require more use than the average boot to be broken in. Even if that's the case, I'd prefer a boot that was more comfy right outta the box, especially considering the price.
Also...at the time I bought mine they were selling them in basketball orange only. Pretty gross. Took me forever to get the color right.
Besides...I got these for 40 bucks:

Added the Alden laces and viola.
Plus..they were much much more comfortable right outta the box.

-Rabittooth
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Well, Alden's are still made old school....they are NOT made for right out of the box comfort, but must be broken in to fit an individual's foot. Once done, they're the most comfortable shoe you'll ever own, as they now fit YOUR foot.

I DO remember when ALL shoes came out of the box as uncomfortable as the Alden 405, and you had to endure that awful break in period. It's only been in the last 30 years that shoes were made with 'out of the box' comfort. But then, those type shoes last about a year, and you're back at the store buying another pair, where the better made shoes go on and on. Just one more change in our ever changing world. :(

Regards! Michaelson
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

You're so right, Michaelson. Aldens are NOT right-out-of-the-box comfortable. Neither are Birkenstocks, for that matter. But they both fit your feet perfectly after the break-in period and become the most comfortable things you wear. My experience with most "insty-comfy-outta-the-box" shoes are that not long after they break in, they begin to become less comfortable and offer less support. My Aldens have never weakened in the support department. True, Aldens may have a slightly longer break-in time than many shoes, but for the amount of comfort you get after then, they're still worth it, in my book.

bink
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

binkmeisterRick wrote:You're so right, Michaelson. Aldens are NOT right-out-of-the-box comfortable. Neither are Birkenstocks, for that matter. ...bink
Terrible analogy, bink. True or not! :wink:
I have this scary image of you with your AB, Indy shirt, pants, and hippie shoes. Scary. :wink: :D
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I think he meant 'binkenstocks'. He's got his own brand of shoe, don't cha know. :wink: Regards. Michaelson
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Michaelson wrote:I think he meant 'binkenstocks'. He's got his own brand of shoe, don't cha know. :wink: Regards. Michaelson
Oh, of course, that's right. The Binkenstock: the shoe that drains you of money even as you wear it. "The Official shoe of scoundrels and pick-pockets!" :lol:
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Thanks guys! You answered my questions. :D

If I get a pair (it looks like I will :D ) the original sole have to go. Their really not much use to me if they don't have a good tread. But I know my cobbler can do it. He's a true craftsman. He's been in the business his whole life. In fact he still uses machines his father bought in the 1940's! I've talked it over with him and he told me he could order about any sole I wanted. I wish I could just leave them as is, but with out a decent tread I couldn't use them for anything besides around town. As steep as the mountains are here the Aldens would be a pair of $300 skis. :lol:
Feraud
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Feraud »

The 'break in point' versus longterm comfort and durability is an important factor. No one wants to have to break in a boot but this is preferable(to me) to buying a new pair every year. From what I have read from other members, I think I have less foot trouble than most. I rarely suffer foot problems, regardless of boot quality. My wife says I am thick headed, I guess I should add 'thick footed' to that list.. :lol: :lol:

I currenly own the JCrew Deckers and Ruggeds, and am comfortable in both. I had a pair of Doc Martens for years. I could never wear that sole out!

The Alden's look very well made and is essentially the 'Indy boot', isn't it?
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

J_Weaver wrote:Thanks guys! You answered my questions. :D

If I get a pair (it looks like I will :D ) the original sole have to go. Their really not much use to me if they don't have a good tread. But I know my cobbler can do it. He's a true craftsman. He's been in the business his whole life. In fact he still uses machines his father bought in the 1940's! I've talked it over with him and he told me he could order about any sole I wanted. I wish I could just leave them as is, but with out a decent tread I couldn't use them for anything besides around town. As steep as the mountains are here the Aldens would be a pair of $300 skis. :lol:
All my mountaineering boots have some form of Vibram soles, even my ice climbing boots. -Though I do not recommend strapping a pair of crampons on your Aldens! But if you do, please take a photo. :wink: :D
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Ha ha...If I had any crampons I would just to get you a pic! :lol: I do all of my cool/cold weather hiking and the occasional climbing (I don't use my climbing shoes much) in a pair of mountaineering boots. When I'm gonna be in heavy brush of a summer I wear a pair of snake boots. I would really like to have the Aldens for everyday use and hiking in moderate weather.

P.S. I do have some pics of me climbing in a pair of hobnail mountaineering boots! :lol:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Hemingway Jones wrote:
Michaelson wrote:I think he meant 'binkenstocks'. He's got his own brand of shoe, don't cha know. :wink: Regards. Michaelson
Oh, of course, that's right. The Binkenstock: the shoe that drains you of money even as you wear it. "The Official shoe of scoundrels and pick-pockets!" :lol:
You can have a pair, yoo, Hemingway. Just send me 300 bucks and I'll, uh, send the shoes your way... :twisted: And for the record, I am wearing said "hippie" sandals around the house right now. If you've never owned a pair (regardless of their association) you're missing out on even better foot comforming footwear! Besides, the Aldens don't slip off as easily at the beach. :wink:

binkenstock
IndyMo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyMo »

[quote="Rabittooth"]I found the Aldens to be stiff and uncomfortable. I know...everyone here who owns them says they're not uncomfortable. Whether they have different personal criteria for comfort, or they are just trying to rationalize an expensive purchase for the hobby, I don't know. Maybe they require more use than the average boot to be broken in. Even if that's the case, I'd prefer a boot that was more comfy right outta the box, especially considering the price.
Also...at the time I bought mine they were selling them in basketball orange only. Pretty gross. Took me forever to get the color right.
Besides...I got these for 40 bucks:

Rab - good to see you on again - How is married life?

I have to agree with you and others as to the comfort thing. What was really hard for me was the weight - these are a heavy work shoe and if you don't wear them everyday - you may ask yourself - what the heck have I done... I received mine in October '04 but really did not start wearing them everyday until about two months ago. I work in an office so I'm actually not on my feet all day but I am out and about as often as I can. The weight is no longer a factor - an comfort - as they say in NYC "forget about it" they are more comfortable than my sneakers. The only thing I had to do was put toe & heal savers on as the carpeting in the office will wear the soles out faster than heck. anyway my .02 cents.

Mike
IndianaJons
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by IndianaJons »

Regarding the long break-in time for the Alden Indy boots: A friend of mine who fought the Nazis in WW II told me that he and his buddies would fill their new Army boots with hot water for an hour, then dump the water, lace up the boots tight, and wear them until dry. INSTANT PERFECT FIT!

I tried this technique on my 2 pairs of Aldens when I bought them back in 1990. It works! My shoes have fit wonderfully since Day One. (But even though it worked for me, _you alone_ are responsible for what might happen if you try this... I seriously doubt if the Alden folks would recommend doing it...).
Feraud
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Feraud »

I went to the Alden store in NYC yesterday afternoon to browse. They have the 405's on a shelf with an 'Indy boot' write up and a photograph. I have to say it is a good looking boot and well made.

I have a question about the 'moccasin toe' construction for you Alden owners. I assume the moc toe is constructed of two pieces of leather stitched together on the top. The boot I looked at appeared to be one piece of leather with a double row of stitching. Is this correct? Was I seeing things? I did not spend much time at the store, I was returning to work from a dental appointment.

Thanks
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

IndyMo wrote:What was really hard for me was the weight - these are a heavy work shoe and if you don't wear them everyday - you may ask yourself - what the heck have I done... Mike
Amen, Mike, and amen. I have loved my Aldens all the years I've worn them, but that weight is the ONLY thing I have NEVER been able to get used to, and I used to wear steel toed boots in my work years ago. You'd think I'd be used to that by now....not so. They are a very heavy shoe, no argument about that. :( Regards! Michaelson