My New MkVII... need help

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

My New MkVII... need help

Post by Erri »

I just received my MkVII gas mask bag and i would like to wash it so i need a help from you guys about this...
HOW CAN I WASH IT? and is it wise?

(i will post pics as soon as possible)
Scandinavia Jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Scandinavia Jones »

Here's how I cleaned mine -
just let it soak in mild detergent, not too hot water - do not rub or knead the bag. Rinse several times under running water. Do not wring. Repeat if necessary and let dry. If possible, use washing powder intended for delicate fabrics and make sure powder of your choice does not contain any bleaching components.

Hope this helps. :)
IndianaJames
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaJames »

Do NOT put it in the washing machine whatever you do. Washing machines have destroyed several members' bags in the past. Hand wash only!

Good luck

I J
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

IndianaJames wrote:Do NOT put it in the washing machine whatever you do. Washing machines have destroyed several members' bags in the past. Hand wash only!

Good luck

I J
Thanks guys... i will tell you what happen, anyway i took pics in case it would be ruined ... i will post pics very soon
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Scandinavia Jones wrote:Here's how I cleaned mine -
just let it soak in mild detergent, not too hot water - do not rub or knead the bag. Rinse several times under running water. Do not wring. Repeat if necessary and let dry. If possible, use washing powder intended for delicate fabrics and make sure powder of your choice does not contain any bleaching components.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks a lot, i will follow your suggestions
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

I think it depends on a number of factors.

I have washed 4 bags in the washing machine - 2 MKVIIs and 2 MKVIs and haven't had any problems. My MKVII came out really soft and supple whereas before it had been really stiff.

However like Indiana James rightly warns, some members have had the bags disintegrate in washing machines.

Personally I washed mine on wool setting, and threw in a lot of fabric softener but I guess thats with my washing machine and there is nothign to say another MKVII could fair different in it to, so its certainly risky.

Ken
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Hi Ken, happy to hear about you again, did you listen to all the mp3s at last? :D

About the bag, i just washed it, not in the washer but all by hand :lol: now it is drying at sun, later i will use the dryer.
I'm putting pics online... they will be soon in this forum.
Thanks to everybody
Skippy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Riding the Mongolian steppes......or London, England.

Post by Skippy »

If you must use the drier (although I wouldn't personally, given the whole forced drying thing :| ) stick it in an old pillow case first, with a couple of towels in the dryer bin too. This will reduce the chance of your metal wear on the bag getting damaged.
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Ok here the pics... these were taken before i washed... i will post in few days also new pics (after washing)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y157/e ... G_0763.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y157/e ... G_0765.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y157/e ... G_0764.jpg
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

Cant wait to see results - I would agree, dont use the dryer. Let it dry in the sun - no doubt you have the weather for it.

Yes thanks for the mp3s finally got them all working.

Ken :)
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Indiana Ken wrote:Cant wait to see results - I would agree, dont use the dryer. Let it dry in the sun - no doubt you have the weather for it.

Yes thanks for the mp3s finally got them all working.

Ken :)
Thanks Ken, i'm glad i can help you with your nice fan film. I hope i can be even more helpful. Tell me if you need something else :wink:
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

ok NEW PICS of the washed bag... it lost a little of colour in few parts but it's not very noticeable. It doesnt stink anymore anyway *lol*
I washed it with my hands (and soap of course lol) and then put it a day out to the sunlight and finished the inside parts with the dryer (it's incredible how hard is to dry canvas!!!)

Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

Erri,
That bag looks great. It is in really good shape. There seems to be a little bit of oxidation on that one snap. I think some brass polish will take that off and shine it right up, though you need to be extremely careful that it does not touch or seep into the fabric or it will discolor or destroy the fabirc. When I did mine I put a tiny dab on a cloth and surrounded the snap with masking tape. Or, if it doesn't bother you, just leave it alone.

In any case, awesome bag. Enjoy. :D
Cyber Jones
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Cyber Jones »

Hey, I like the way your one has a slightly different colour canvas at the bottom, looks really cool. Are you planning to get a strap or stick with the original?
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Cyber Jones wrote:Hey, I like the way your one has a slightly different colour canvas at the bottom, looks really cool. Are you planning to get a strap or stick with the original?
Thanks Cyber and again welcome on this forum.
About the strap... dont know.. the canvas is very comfortable to carry and i'm collecting money for an Adventurebilt hat... so by now i wont get an indylike leather strap unless i find a very cheap one or someone want to sell one for a very good price lol
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Hemingway Jones wrote:Erri,
That bag looks great. It is in really good shape. There seems to be a little bit of oxidation on that one snap. I think some brass polish will take that off and shine it right up, though you need to be extremely careful that it does not touch or seep into the fabric or it will discolor or destroy the fabirc. When I did mine I put a tiny dab on a cloth and surrounded the snap with masking tape. Or, if it doesn't bother you, just leave it alone.

In any case, awesome bag. Enjoy. :D
Thanks for suggestions... by now i keep it like that, but a day i will clean the brass parts for sure :wink:

(about the AB hat... i'm getting the money for that :wink: )
CIAO
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

erri_wan wrote: Thanks for suggestions... by now i keep it like that, but a day i will clean the brass parts for sure :wink:

(about the AB hat... i'm getting the money for that :wink: )
CIAO
I totally understand; my bag is a little rough around the edges and I like it that way. Yours is in much better shape.

As for the AB: believe me, that is a purchase you will not regret. I was just wearing mine around Philadelphia and I must have gotten three compliments and, of course, several Indiana Jones comments, though done very respectfully. Ci Vediamo! :D