Hat Etiquette

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Hugh de Latham
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Hat Etiquette

Post by Hugh de Latham »

Traditionally, a gentleman removes his hat whenever indoors. Did Indy?

Besides which, it can be a bit silly and downright inconvenient to remove a hat when going to some really informal place, like a grocery store.

So when do people remove their Indy hats?
Charles De Broglie
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Charles De Broglie »

NEVER. Ever. I say Fooey to Traditional Ideas.
Gregoire Defense
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student
Location: Where am I at? The University of Chicago Where am I from? Strait out of Pennsylvania!

Post by Gregoire Defense »

You are right. Indy did not remove his hat indoors, only a few times.

I remove my hat in:
chuch
house/office of someone important

Otherwise, I keep my hat on. :D

-G
JPdesign
Vendor

Post by JPdesign »

Remove

In church
Any home
office of superior
When eating indoors
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

I don't care where Indy wore his hat... I stick to traditional hat etiquette. I don't think it was impolite to wear a hat in such informal venues as the supermarket (ever seen Double Indemnity?). I believe this question has been brought up before... but my vote is always for tradition (I feel like breaking into a "Fiddler on the Roof" tune)... ;)

Kind regards,
Indy
Illinois Troy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Illinois Troy »

I don't care where Indy wore his hat... I stick to traditional hat etiquette.
I agree with you on that. The one movie personality that I always thought wore a hat well and had great hat etiquitte is Cary Grant.

Illinois
RedburnIV
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by RedburnIV »

Yeah, If I remember right in Last Crusade, Indy walked right into his Dad's house without taking his hat off, but Marcus took his hat off right away. I've always thought that no matter where you go you show respect, and take your hat off...unless its ok for you to keep it on.

Regards, Dan
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

What comes to my mind is an autobiography of an Englishman who shunned hats. As a lad in the 30's, he was quite affected by the complex ritual of donning and doffing hats. So much so, that he swore off of them as an adult. I keep it simple. It comes off at church, and at bedtime, at my wife's insistence. But I don't wear them inside of my home either. Fedora
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Illinois Troy wrote: The one movie personality that I always thought wore a hat well and had great hat etiquitte is Cary Grant.
I second you on that IT, but would also like to add Jimmy Stewart... but not Harvey - I could never admire someone who'd cut holes in a lid. :)

Mike
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

If there's an Amercian Flag or a Holy Cross, I take it off.
Gregoire Defense
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student
Location: Where am I at? The University of Chicago Where am I from? Strait out of Pennsylvania!

Renderking Fisk wrote:If there's an Amercian Flag or a Holy Cross, I take it off.
Quote the man!

-GImage
Doctor_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Doctor_Jones »

I take my hat off when I enter a building. Any building.
As for the American flag... nah, I don't cos it ain't mine anyway. If I should do it for my Nation's flag? I don't know, don't bump into that flag so often.

Kind regards

Doctor Jones
Marcus Brody
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Marcus Brody »

I basically wear the fedora whenever except for a few places. I wouldn't wear it in church if I went, I'd take it off when I'm eating, when I'm sleepin a bed (if it's the couch, then it doens't count), or when I'm at some sort of special occasion. Needless to say, I don't follow the indoors rule at all, I find it too ridiculous.
schwammy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by schwammy »

Remember too, Indy did take his hat off in Imam's home.
golpeo_rapidamente
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by golpeo_rapidamente »

I remove my hat indoors
I remove my hat when i meet someone and tip my hat when i see someone i know.The tip of the hat according to Edwardian tradition is an extension of the military salute into civil life(the military salute itself comes from the Knight in armour flipping the visor of his helmet to ID himself as friendly)
On a train i wear my hat and in a barn i wear my hat but dont wear my hat in any holy place.If im in a shop and aproached by a sales clerk i remove my hat.
This is really old fashioned behaviour but its what i was told by my Grandfather when i was a kid and he was of the generation that knew.
conceited ape can vouch for me,as when i got my Optimo he said put it on,i didnt i was in indoors
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Indy also removed his hat at Donovan's. Fedora
Gregoire Defense
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

It is funny though,
neither Donovan nor Vogel removed their hat it the palace of the king of the Repulic of Haytay in Last Crusade. :)
JPdesign
Vendor

Post by JPdesign »

They were in the courtyard. The cars were there
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

One interesting thing I noticed is that Indy never tips his hat. Rather interesting.
Ryusui
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Ryusui »

Pyroxene wrote:One interesting thing I noticed is that Indy never tips his hat. Rather interesting.
Didn't he tip it to Willie at some point?
I could swear that he did...although I think it was in sarcasm. :P
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Here is another blast from the past.....

Here is some more on Hat Etiquette
http://www.hatmonger.com/articles/classicetiq.html#menetiq wrote: A Gentleman and His Hat in an Elevator

A gentleman takes off his hat and holds it in his hand when a lady enters the elevator in an apartment house or hotel--any building which can be classified as a dwelling. He puts it on again in the corridor. A public corridor is like the street, but an elevator in a hotel or apartment house has the character of a room in a house and there a gentleman does not keep his hat on in the presence of ladies.

But in public buildings, such as offices or stores or buildings which contain neither apartments nor assembly rooms, the elevator is considered as public a place as a bus or a trolley car. What is more, the elevators in such business structures are usually so crowded that the only room for a man's hat is on his head!

A Man and His Hat Out of Doors

A situation that requires some dexterity is that of a gentleman on a Sunday or weekday in a city street who stops to speak to a lady of his acquaintance, in taking his hat and his glove off, and in getting his walking stick and his cigarette out of the way. This constitutes a maneuver that needs considerable practice to be done without effort, though the process is easy enough to describe. First of all, he transfers cigarette and stick, if encumbered with either, to his left hand, takes off his hat and transfers it to left hand, and at the same time grips the fingers of right glove, pulling it off! He than gives her his gloveless right hand. All of which perhaps explains why the smart would never carries anything but a crooked-handled stick which can be hung on the left arm. If the gentleman and lady walk ahead together, he puts his hat on; but while he is standing in the street talking to her, he must remain hatless, no matter how cold the wind nor how torrid the sun, for so long as she may be pleased to stand and talk to him. Nor may he smoke. In the country he may very well be bare-headed and also be smoking a pipe, but in a city street there is no vulgarity greater than for a man to stand talking to a lady with his hat on, cigar, pipe, or cigarette in his mouth.

It should not be necessary to add that, out of doors, every American citizen stands with his hat off at the passing of the flag and when the national anthem is played. If he didn't, some other more loyal citizen might take it off for him. Also every man should stand with his hat off in the presence of a funeral.

A Gentleman Lifts His Hat

Lifting or tipping the hat is a conventional gesture of politeness shown to strangers only, not to be confused with bowing, which is a gesture used to acquaintances and friends. In lifting his hat, a gentleman merely lifts it slightly off his forehead--by the brim of a stiff hat or by the crown of a soft one--and replaces it.

When walking with a friend who bows to a lady who is a stranger to him, a gentleman lifts his hat without either bowing or looking directly at the lady. This is because it is a fixed rule of etiquette that a gentleman must never stare at a lady.

If he passes a lady in a narrow space, so that he blocks her way or in any manner obstructs her, he lifts his hat as he passes.

. . . A gentleman lifts his hat whenever he says"Excuse me," "Thank you," or speaks to, or is spoken to by a lady. Needless to say, he always takes his pipe, cigar, or cigarette out of his mouth as he lifts his hat, takes it off, or bows. And a gentleman always lifts his hat to his wife when he encounters her, or joins her, or takes leave of her in public, because, if for no other reason, the public does not know the lady is his wife.

Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

I like that! Cool stuff.
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Joe »

NeosMatrix003 wrote:If I remember right in Last Crusade, Indy walked right into his Dad's house without taking his hat off, but Marcus took his hat off right away.
So, was this to assist in the character development of Indiana Jones?

I.J.
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

Pyro, that's a great site! I found this on finding your hat size there. It may help some altough this may be the wrong thread to put it in.
http://www.hatmonger.com/articles/measureyourhead.html
Dakota Ellison
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dakota Ellison »

I think the Indy Lucas originally envisioned would have doffed his hat, but not the one Spielberg brought to life. Course, he did remove it when Donavon entered the room at his penthouse, but not till then. (then again, he was sorta under duress)
Cooler King
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Cooler King »

Renderking Fisk wrote:If there's an Amercian Flag or a Holy Cross, I take it off.
Amen brother!

I take it off when...

I'm at Church,
In someone's home,
At a Funneral,
The time I visited Arlington National Cemetary (I dare any human being not to go there and cry)
and when I sit down to eat.

Other than that, I keep my hat on.
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Joe »

golpeo_rapidamente wrote:On a train i wear my hat and in a barn i wear my hat but dont wear my hat in any holy place.
So, one may wear it on a subway, right? That's a train.
conceited_ape
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by conceited_ape »

Yep.
I'll wear a hat indoors for the sake of trying it on for size, accuracy, etc, but not really beyond that.
Now that I think about it, it just feels really wrong! :shock:
IndianaBlues
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndianaBlues »

Anyone else have this problem? I can't take my hat off because my hair just looks plain ridiculous underneath it...kind of an Indy-crown shaped hairdo - look like I've just walked out of the Mad Max set....any ideas on how to cure this so I can occasionally take my hat off? :oops:

Nic
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

This question came up a few months ago. It happens to all of us.

In the morning, I will thin a little hair jell with some water before I comb. It doesn't look sticky, and doesn't seem to leave any residue on the hat.

However, after doing some reading, I found that if you wanted to comb your hair, in true Indy fashion, you would probably need one of these brushes.

http://www.kentbrushes.com
For over 220 years gentlemen have been able to depend on the brushes made by G. B. Kent. Similar to Herbert Johnson, Kent products carry the Royal Warrant.

A good hairbrush has three functions. 1. ) it smoothes and untangles the hair gently. 2.) Brushing the hair cleans it thoroughly of dust, dirt and dandruff. 3.) The hair brush is to keep the hair looking good by distributing the natural fats that accumulate at the roots all the way along to the hair ends.

The military oval brush was the one carried by most English officers. Looks like it would fit in any shaving kit or bag.
Chamorro
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chamorro »

My dad always carries a small black comb in his trouser pocket. I guess I should start doing that too.

Hat hair is minimized if you go with a real short, military style haircut as I am wont to do.

My dad also taught me:

No cover indoors at any time.
Never at the table.
And pretty much all of the above.
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Chamorro wrote: No cover indoors at any time.
Never at the table.
Except if you are in Texas.
Blue Coyote
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Blue Coyote »

Ryusui wrote:
Pyroxene wrote:One interesting thing I noticed is that Indy never tips his hat. Rather interesting.
Didn't he tip it to Willie at some point?
I could swear that he did...although I think it was in sarcasm. :P
i just HAD to mention this.. the only time i noticed Indy tipping his hat was in the diet coke commercial on the LC video. :? does that count?
that lady kinda sorta looked like Willie... the hair anyway. she was more of a sport than willie.. look what she did for a can of DIET coke!! :shock:
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

HA! That's Great! Is there anyway you can post a screen shot?
prettybigguy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by prettybigguy »

Pyroxene wrote:
Except if you are in Texas.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
PBG
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Yeah, we all sat down at the table at Joe T. Garcia's and Joe Jr. sat down next us. He said somthing like, "In Texas, you can wear your hat at the table."
Blue Coyote
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Blue Coyote »

wish i could do screen shots. i cant even get my digital camera to work :?
Gabriel Garza
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by Gabriel Garza »

Regarding Hat Hair: I carry a comb with me and use it when I need to. There are times I don't need to use it. Usually when my hair is short I don't need to. When my hair gets long my wife cuts it and I must say she has done a great job for the past 10 years.

Regarding taking the hat off: In Texas people usually don't even notice you when you keep your hat on in Restaurants. There are so many Cowboy hats and baseball caps around and they normally don't take their hat off. If there is a place for me to place my hat I will take it off, however, if there is not, then I keep it on.

The only occassion I had someone ask me to take my hat off was last week when I was at Texas A&M. I was in the cafeteria and apparently that is part of a complex that is like sacred ground, something about deceased cadets and how that complex is in honor for them. In any case I had taken my hat off during lunch. When I got up to leave the building I put my hat on and that is when a cadet came up to me and asked me to take my hat off. I understood and complied. My bad.

I try to be a gentlemen and comply with the Ettiquett rules because I think we should if we are wearning our hats.

Gabe
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

It's difficult in some places to just simply "take your hat off" because there is no place to put it. Resturaunts USED to have coat and hat racks on the wall for you to put your stuff. As you can imagine, as hats disappeared from the general public so did the racks.
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Joe »

Pyroxene wrote:It's difficult in some places to just simply "take your hat off" because there is no place to put it. Resturaunts USED to have coat and hat racks on the wall for you to put your stuff. As you can imagine, as hats disappeared from the general public so did the racks.
Pyr,

You live in Texas. So, is this your experience in big ol' Texas or only in other parts of the U.S.?

I.J.
Blue Coyote
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Blue Coyote »

hat etiquette is virtually nonexistant here. i'v noticed that people dont care one way or another if you eat with your hat on or off in public. i guess it depends on your personal standards.
as for Indy not taking his hat off in his fathers house could be one of two reasons. 1, he doesnt care since its his dads house. 2, he's worried and more concerned about his dad than his hat etiquette.
also notice that Henry Sr. is wearing his er.. cap? in his room at the castle.
maybe his head was cold :D
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

So if I were in another state besides Texas, as a lady, would it be etiquette for me to take off my hat or can ladies leave the hat on?
Rixter
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rixter »

Pyroxene wrote:It's difficult in some places to just simply "take your hat off" because there is no place to put it. Resturaunts USED to have coat and hat racks on the wall for you to put your stuff. As you can imagine, as hats disappeared from the general public so did the racks.
Even if there were hat racks on the wall of a restaurant, I’d never hang it there especially if I had a Fedora that I prized as much as people do their’s here, unless it was within whip crack range. ;)
Indiana Cojones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Cojones »

Bah, humbug. Proper etiquette never goes out of style. :)

I always remove my hat when entering a building, be it a restaurant (toss it on an empty seat), a grocery store (put it in the cart), or whatever. I don't necessarily take it off when I'm in a car, and although I don't tip my hat, I do find myself touching the brim (an acceptable "non-tip").

Half the fun of wearing a gentleman's hat is behaving like a gentleman. Otherwise, you could just wear a baseball cap. Like every other adolescent male in the US. ;)
Dakota Ellison
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dakota Ellison »

How about sidewalk cafes?

Last edited by Dakota Ellison on Wed Feb 05, 2003 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nemo1
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Nemo1 »

All of this talk about hat hair, combs, brushes, hair gel, etc. leaves some of us feeling rather wistful. It's a problem I have not suffered in lo these many years!

Nemo1: Spokesman for the follicularly challenged.
Chamorro
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chamorro »

Indiana Texas-girl wrote:So if I were in another state besides Texas, as a lady, would it be etiquette for me to take off my hat or can ladies leave the hat on?
Ladies always leave their hat on. Even in church.
Indiana Philip
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Philip »

Dakota Ellison wrote:How about sidewalk cafes?

Dakota-Is this a poster? I have never seen it and am quite impressed by it. Can you tell me where I might aquire one of my own?
Indiana Philip
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Chamorro wrote: Ladies always leave their hat on. Even in church.
Whew! That's a relief...I don't like taking my hat off as it shows how messed up a hat makes my hair.
Dakota-Is this a poster? I have never seen it and am quite impressed by it. Can you tell me where I might aquire one of my own?
Indiana Philip
I echo that inquiry. I'm very interested in one of these. There's another similar one I saw on ebay a loong time ago with Indy on a horse I believe.
Dakota Ellison
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dakota Ellison »

There's also the one of the DC-3 taking off from a Casablanca-like local. They are all official license tags and the one I used is about full size. I have seen the Indy on horse offered as a beach towel in an old Lucasfilm fan magazine. That would make a nice wall hanging if you could find one.