Winrich whips

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Luisiana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Winrich whips

Post by Luisiana Jones »

I just wanna know whats the impression of you guys on this whip, I am a beginner and it seems a very reasonable price for a beginners whip, some of you have used it, as Indiana Jerry told me.

I decided to make this a new thread so you can tell me what you think about it more deeply. :wink:

Thanks @ all

Ps. One more thing, what size is the best for beggining, im debating myself between the 8 footer and the 10 footer
Shawnkara
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shawnkara »

I can't say on Adam's whips. I've never owned or handled one. As for the length, if those are the lengths you're debating, I would get a 10'. If you get an 8 you'll soon want a 10. I've found that longer whips are actually better for beginners, anyway. Shorter whips have a VERY fast action and come back at you a heck of a lot quicker and harder when you screw up while learning. Longer whips tend to be a bit more "sluggish". They're also harder to master for target work, which I think makes it that much more rewarding when you've done it. I don't get why guys like 6' whips for target work. If you shoot a target with a gun from just six feet are you really a marksman? :wink:
Scandinavia Jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Scandinavia Jones »

Luisiana -

you might want to check with Swindiana regarding the Winrich IOAB whips. He ordered one to Sweden last year and he has most certainly answers to your questions on shipping to Europe and, of course, the whip itself.

Swindy - feel free to chime in... :)
Luisiana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Luisiana Jones »

Yes please post here man :wink: , if not ill have to spam your pm inbox
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Luisiana, I have one of the first prototype Winnrich IOAB whips. It is an 8 footer and cracks like a cannon! I really think this is an excellent beginners whip. It is my first bullwhip (and currently my only one) but I can see upgrading to a "better" whip some point in the future. I remember when he came out with these whips and one was taken to a big show where many whip makers almost laughed at the whip and concept until they each tried it out. Each one of those guys was amazed at the whip and how it cracked. They quickly turned around and praised the whip as one of the best beginners whips around for the quality and money. And my IOAB is well made. I understand they've even gotten better since he made mine.

As to the length, I would go wih the 8 footer, not the ten. As a beginner, you're going to hit yourself with the whip no matter what the length is. You may as well learn the mechanics on something that will be a little easier to swing around at first. Besides, I've always been told it's easier to learn with a shorter whip. What's more, if you get addicted to whip cracking, you'll want to buy more whips anyway, so you can get a ten footer then.

bink
Texas Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Texas Jones »

I have a custom 9 ft 12 plait kangaroo saddle tan whip from Winrich. Man, what a GREAT whip. I have handle Strain's and Stenhouse's, and this is just a good if not better. The price is great, and just to clarify, these aren't just beginner whips, they are the real deal.
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

Hi Luisiana,

The price for the IOAB bullwhip is still $10 per foot plus shipping. Shipping to Spain is kind of expensive, though, and will probably be about $25.

If you're starting out, I would recommend the 8-foot.

Feel free to PM me or send me an email for more details.

-Adam, www.winrichwhips.com
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

I'll repeat my amen again (one more time, too) -

I DO have one of these, too, I guess I wasn't clear about that. LOVE THIS WHIP. And I agree, it's not a beginner's whip, the rest of the folks at the QM made it clear that this is a great whip, ESPECIALLY considering the price! It handles great, and cracks loud!

Now, on to size - I'm gonna have to agree w/ the later folks, I've heard people say beginners start on a 6', but gosh, I'd think that'd just leave you wanting a longer whip too soon! I learned on this 8', and that was great, and I only have a wee bit of whip envy for the 10's...;), but that's something I can live with!

Heck, for this pricing, you can get an 8' now and a 12' later and still be under the cost of a lot of other whips. :)

Here's two more threads w/ great pics and more info on these, Adam's offering thread, and pics of mine when I got it. Note the prices in these are old, this was when he had just made the first couple and was still determining his cost to make - the cost is now $10/foot, and still SUCH a bargain.

This first of these two threads also has a comparison pic of two handles, to show how the handle is the right sillouhette, but the plaiting (braiding) is done w/ less strips which are wider - that's part of what keeps the cost of these down.

viewtopic.php?t=9559&highlight=ioab
viewtopic.php?t=9943&highlight=happy+whip+guy

EDIT: Hey, Adam's here! Good to hear from you, Adam, and hope you and your business is doing well. :)
Luisiana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Luisiana Jones »

Wow, I can see a great chance here for my first whip, ive used whips some times and made bruises to myself but never had an own, and look what a great success i had in this topic, I even got Mr.Adam to answer. :wink:

Is the shipping more expensive due that is a whip?? I mean usually shipping is from 10-15 bucks, still interested in that whip though :wink:
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

I think all has been said already, though a 'chime in' was mentioned. *Ding* :D

It is indeed a great whip to learn with, and an even greater one to develop with. I'm by no means and expert or claiming to be, but speaking from personal experience I got comfortable with it pretty fast.
It has a bit more weight to it than most other whips or the roo ones, a thing that helps it 'work on its own' until you get the technique down to handle lighter ones. I think... :wink:

Bottom line: You will not be disappointed, you'll win. Win rich. ;)

You'll find a few shots of my 9 footer from when I first got it

HERE.

Regards,
Swindiana
Luisiana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Luisiana Jones »

Lol, its great only that i gotta get the money for the shipping :oops: , and also this is an ot question but hey its my thread :wink: , how do you do money orders, and cashier´s checks?? what are they? sry my english ain´t that good, and im getting lots of trouble with pay pal, lol ask Fedora, I dunno how many times ive tried to send him the money through pay pal and didnt work.
Nicht Storen
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Nicht Storen »

I've got an 8' IOAB whip as well. It is the only whip I have as I am learning to use it. It cracks like a cannon and is well made. You won't be disappointed with his product or his service.
Shawnkara
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shawnkara »

Luisiana,
What about paypal are you having trouble with? I use it a lot. Maybe I can help guide you through it.
Luisiana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Luisiana Jones »

Well I get payment denied, I asked my bank and they always tell me the same excuse, which is that you haven´t waited nuff for the money to be available.

It takes one week for the money to be virtually available, and then I waited another one hoping i could use it but hey no way man. And that way 4 times, Im gonna try from another credit card when my money becomes available again... :evil:
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

I recommend an 8 foot. I've been cracking awhile and have no desire to own a 10 footer...it takes bit too much muscle for me to crack a 10 footer on a continual basis. An 8 isn't too fast or too slow. The IOAB whip is a nice one for the price...(I don't own one, but have cracked a few). Definitely a good beginner whip and even a good whip to have in the collection of a non-beginner. Seems like a tough whip and could hold up to alot of abuse and last you a long time if treated right.
Andiana
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Southern California - The home of my 'home away from home'...Disneyland...

Post by Andiana »

Texas Jones wrote:I have a custom 9 ft 12 plait kangaroo saddle tan whip from Winrich. Man, what a GREAT whip. I have handle Strain's and Stenhouse's, and this is just a good if not better. The price is great, and just to clarify, these aren't just beginner whips, they are the real deal.
My first ever REAL whip was from Adam. An 8 foot 12 plait roo-hide. Great great whip, and I agree with Texas Jones, it is up there quality.
Vegeta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Vegeta »

Well, I know I'm in the minority here but I prefer a 10 footer. My first whip was an 8 and I was 11.......8 Feels so much like a toy to me. I've got a JS 10 footer and crack it like it's nothing. I bought my 13 yr old nephew an 8 ft cow hide whip from Adam and that thing is fun to wing arround.....My nephew is quite good with his 8 and my 10 footer.
midwestwhips
Vendor

Post by midwestwhips »

I just wanted to chime in here,

At the WWAC convention, I got to spend some time with adam, and I was able to get a good look at his whips in person and try them out, and I must say I am highly impressed.

His plaiting is good and tight for cowhide, deerhide and I forget the other hide type he had. And the strands are cut very accuarately and the plaiting itself is very neat. I would have really liked to see a roo hide Indy of his, but perhaps another time.

And his knot work!!! I must say from a fellow whipmaker, I was highly impressed with his knot work.

I just wanted to say that if you are wanting to go with a whip from Adam Winrich, you wont' be disappointed. And he's a stand up guy as well.

Regards,

Paul Nolan
MidWestWhips
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

I'm always very impressed by how honest, supportive, and complimentary whipmakers here are to each other. (It's QUITE different among the jacket makers, that's for sure!) I would be proud to own a whip from all of you, but I need to win a lottery first. :wink:

bink
Robert Duke
Vendor

Post by Robert Duke »

I too met Adam at the WWAC convention in Claremore OK (Tulsa area).

I also liked his knot work. I've handled his budget Indy and it was heavy, but thats what gives it its zap. Well proportioned, tight plaiting and balanced to the end. IMO a good bang for the buck.

To the length question for a first whip go to an 8. Learn the mechanics correctly. 8 is a little long but not too much. Neither is an 8 short. With your 3 foot of fall and cracker you will have 11 foot of reach anyway.

When you're really addicted to whipcracking you will soon have a bag full of whips. Thats when you buy a 10 footer and then also a 6 footer. Perhaps even buy a 4 footer for very close indoor work if performing and area does not allow a big whip to be swung.
I have (3) 4 foot whips, a couple of 6 footers, couple of 8 footers and a 13 foot monster. Those are my bullwhips. I have snakewhips and stockwhips too many to mention. I've been wanting a 20 foot whip now. Its just finding the time to build one in between my own whip orders to get out.

So don't start off at a 10. And by all means I hope you go on from the 8 to get you a bag full of different size whips. It's your toolbox of toys. Not everythigng can be fixed by a crescent wrench, so have a couple of others in there to do the job. Right tool for the right job I say.

btw, Adam, I was very impressed with your 2 whip cracking skills too. Obviously you've watched the Mike Murphy Fundamentals of Whipcracking videos a few times. The same with Canasta too. Both of you guys are good up and coming whipcrackers to be reckoned with.
Did you get a chance to crack the fire whips or leave it all to that crazy Canasta? You guys were having just too much fun with those fire whips.

$25 is a good round figure for me to send anything to Europe also. Thats really not that much if you think about it.

Robert Duke
http://www.DukeWhips.com
Luisiana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Luisiana Jones »

wow, thx for the info guys, i might get an 8 footer from Adam soon :wink: , for the summer :D thats the best time to learn, now exams recall my time :(
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

Hey Robert,

Thanks for the good words.

I didn't even want to get near one of those fires whips, though I thought they looked really neat. I especially liked it when the fire-eater from the Bronx cracked the fire whip in front of his face and blew a fire ball from his mouth at the same time. Ya know, I really want to use 'cool' as an adjetive here, but I just don't think I should use it to describe flaming flagelletes.

Since the convention, I've been working on the Kahona and half-kahona. I've got the timing of the whips down, so I have the correct beat running through the routine, but I just can't seem to get the reverse-horizontal crack in the front with my left hand to go off. I've also been practicing the Queensland crossover every chance I get, so I'm hoping that it will help my Kahona.

I've also been working on the four corners, though I can tell that I've got a long way to go with than one.

Indiana_Hall
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor
Location: Where ya gotta go north to get to the deep South....

Post by Indiana_Hall »

Sigh....

All of this talk about the WWAC convention makes me green with envy. I would love to make it out there one of these days....

BTW Adam,
Glad to hear that your double-hand work is coming along. On that subject, how are the nylon whips holding up for you?

While I'm on this post, I'd be happy to vouch for the quality of Adam's whips. I've got a whip from a trade I worked out with him, and I must say, it rocks! Even-cut strands, firm braiding,.... A fine piece of workmanship indeed. Just pitching in my two-cent's worth...

High Regards, Indiana_Hall
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

Hey Chris,

The nylon whips are great! I just cleaned them tonight with cold soapy water trying to get the grass stains out. I had a chance to crack a few 4-plait cowhide stockwhips at the convention and the nylon whips I got from you were better-balanced than all of them, so they're definitely a great choice for training whips.

There's only one thing I'd mention about the construction:

I reworked the way the sling string attaches to the lash by passing the string through the bights of the 6 overlay strands. I found that having the sling string tie into the core of the whip didn't work so well since the lash tended to slide down (or ride up) the core string when I tightened the sling string. I also had a problem keeping the sling string tight since the lark's head knot that connected the core string to the sling string limited how tight I could get the connection.

Do you still make your sling string connection the same way?

Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

I reworked the way the sling string attaches to the lash by passing the string through the bights of the 6 overlay strands. I found that having the sling string tie into the core of the whip didn't work so well since the lash tended to slide down (or ride up) the core string when I tightened the sling string. I also had a problem keeping the sling string tight since the lark's head knot that connected the core string to the sling string limited how tight I could get the connection.

:? :shock: And the sling strings connected to the-ring thing, and the lark's head's connected to the- turk's head, and the thigh bone's connected to the-leg bone. :wink:
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

Tex, you took the words right out of my mouth!
Vegeta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Vegeta »

LOL :lol:
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

Okay, english always was my worst subject. I think Chris understands what I'm trying to say, though.
Indiana_Hall
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor
Location: Where ya gotta go north to get to the deep South....

Post by Indiana_Hall »

Sorry for not back to this post sooner.... :oops:

Hey Adam,
Thanks for making me aware of that flaw. I'm cannot apologize enough for doing a couple of whips that were less than rock solid all the way. I had another customer who had the same problem with a whip I did around the same time. Apparently, I was not getting my core secure enough within the whip. I started designing the base of my cores differently back around March and there haven't been any more slip-ups since then (to my knowledge, anyhow). And yes, your description of the repair made total sense to me (it pays to know the terms of the trade), I understand completely.

I may seriously have to consider doing a cowwhip the same way that you did the repairs. I like working with a whip that's tight on the handle, so you've got a good idea. Many thanks for the suggestion.

Thank you as well for your kind words on my workmanship. I'm happy that the whips are working well for you.

My highest regards, Chris