Borsalino and Optimo are... cousins!

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Borsalino and Optimo are... cousins!

Post by Fedora »

I was talking to Kevin today about the beaver felt used in the Optimos. I am probably just repeating what has already been said. The beaver hats are made by the same company that makes Borsalinos. Graham has an unusual setup with this company. Each year, the plant closes down for the month of August. Prior to this closing, the felt making tools are all cleaned and sanitized in antiscipation of the new felt making year. When the factory resumes normal operation, this is when the felt for the Optimo is made. No danger of contamination of alien furs. :D The factory runs this blend of felt, and it is over with until next year. Kevin said they were not prepared for the onslaught of Indy fans, and didn't have enough to go around in the brown colors. It may be hard to get an Optimo until they figure out how to order. He also said that the range of colors used by this factory for Borsalino, and Optimo were wild. Fedora
Charles De Broglie
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Charles De Broglie »

Ah this, I did not know! Thank you.
Illinois Troy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Illinois Troy »

Both Kevin and Graham discussed this with me at length no too long ago. The ribbon they get also has an interesting backround. It is vintage ribbon mostly from the 50's and 60's that was spooled and stored in European factory warehouses. Optimo gets the ribbon and when these factories run out they have agreed to fire up their machines and produce more.

Illinois
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

I'll add a couple of points. After the machinery is cleaned, then they run Optimo's felt for one week and then they shut down for August. Also, Optimo's fur blend is very different from that of Borsalino. The machinery has to be geared up for Optimo's felt. It's pretty amazing when you think about how small Optimo's operation is. I just didn't want people getting the idea that an Optimo was the same as a Borsalino. Cheers
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

So what you're saying is....

Post by Michaelson »

....that they're only DISTANTLY related by marriage, through the 5th cousin's mothers brothers favorite uncle side of the family, right? Well, that's practically the same thing! :wink: Regards. Michaelson
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Seems like they are closer related than I first thought. Let's see. This felt is made on the same machinery and by the same folks who make the Borsalinos.The same dye that is used by Borsalino is used on the Optimos. Hmmm. Sounds like the Optimo is a beaver Borsalino to me. :lol: Course, the final block would not be the same. Fedora
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

Here's a few more points. Borsalinos are made in different factories. Cervo even subcontracts for them on occasion. This is where the idea that all Borsalinos are not created equally comes from (its a fact). I've seen some Borsalinos that I've thought were not that great and I've seen some that I thought were real nice. Of course, the ones that were made over 40 years ago are a different animal altogether. Anyway, of the nicer Borsalinos that I've seen, none have had the same characteristics as the Optimo. The same goes with the Cervo that I own. They don't keep their shapes as well as the Optimos. Their textures are not quite on par with the Optimo, though they're still nice. The factory that makes the Optimo felt has to retool their machinery before they make the Optimo, just like car factories retooled to make airplanes or what have you during WW2, for instance. I do agree that they are related somewhat though. They're both nice hats and the Optimo felt is made in the same factory as some Borsalinos. Cheers
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

...and if I understood Kevin correctly, one of the higher quality Borsalinos is made by this same factory. I didn't know that several different factories made the Boralino line though. Thanks for the info. It seems like Akubra is one of the few left that actually make their own felt. I don't think Stetson even has their own felt factory since becoming Hatco. Ah, for the good old days, when Stetson's were indeed fine hats. Fedora
Minnesota Jones
Admin Emeritus

So, in a way....

Post by Minnesota Jones »

So, you could say that my PBBM and Runquist's, or Fedora's, or Illinois Troy's Optimos are somewhat related, that makes us all cousins, doesn't it? :wink:
IndyGear, it's not just about gear, it's about family! :D
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Yes, and what a fine blood line we have!! :D Fedora
Dakota Ellison
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dakota Ellison »

You forgot the HJ, which is also Borsalino felt.