What's the most screen accurate Wested colour?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

HigHurtenflurst
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

What's the most screen accurate Wested colour?

Post by HigHurtenflurst »

I'm ready to order a Wested, but the "authentic brown lambskin" looks, to me, a lot lighter brown than what we see in the movies. I am leaning toward the "dark brown lambskin."

Opinions?
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Well....Peter says authentic brown lambskin

But I like my dark brown lambskin. Mainly because the distressing contrasts better against it and to my eye looks more screen accurate. My fiance won't let me distress her authentic brown....so I'll have to continue guessing.

Pyr.
Feraud
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Feraud »

Have you seen both in person? Color in pictures tend to look a bit different depending on the light. I have the authentic brown. Here are a couple of pictures. They look a shade different because of the lighting.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v120/ ... ure043.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v120/ ... ure037.jpg

Let us know what color you choose.
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

I've never seen the auth brown lamb, but I have an auth brown goat. To my eyes the auth brown is what is seen on screen. Its really hard to judge by looking at pics of the jackets, but once you see one in person, you'll see what I mean. A camera can make the color go from a dark browm to a medium brown. Here's a couple pics of mine to show you what I mean.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v320/J_We ... oject9.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/v320/J_We ... rent=4.jpg
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

yeah, that's exactly what my authentic goat looks like too. :junior: -IJ
Alabama Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: What's the most screen accurate Wested colour?

Post by Alabama Jones »

HigHurtenflurst wrote:I'm ready to order a Wested, but the "authentic brown lambskin" looks, to me, a lot lighter brown than what we see in the movies. I am leaning toward the "dark brown lambskin."

Opinions?
I was in your exact situation. I was leaning towards the dark brown. But after studying these boards, and looking at the BEHIND THE SCENES footage, I became convinced authentic was the way to go. When my authentic brown lamb arrived, I knew I'd made the right choice. I can understand the temptation to go with dark brown since the film jacket looks almost black at times,(especially in Raiders), but trust me its the lighting. In a certain light the authentic looks dark. Also check out the Smithsonian pics; they look lighter to me than what was on film, proving once again ... its the lighting.

Choose wisely, but remember, once you start down the DARK path, forever will it dominate your destiny. :wink: :D
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

J Weaver, thanks for the pics. I had imagined the auth goat to be lighter than yours. Can't say I've seen an auth goat in person. I have an auth lamb and the auth goat seems to be a bit darker.
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Re: What's the most screen accurate Wested colour?

Post by J_Weaver »

Alabama Jones wrote:I was in your exact situation. I was leaning towards the dark brown. But after studying these boards, and looking at the BEHIND THE SCENES footage, I became convinced authentic was the way to go.
Yup, me too. I think most of us have though long and hard about that. But the auth brown is really what is seen on screen. I was on a strip mine a while back. (thats where that 2nd pic was taken) It was very dry and my jacket got quite dusty. It looked very Raiders.

ITG, your welcome. I like any excuse to post pics of my gear. :oops:
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

If you see one of the screen used jackets in person, and compare it to an authentic brown lamb, you'll know that they call it authentic brown for a reason.
Indiana Neri
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Rhode Island: The Tiny State That's Actually NOT An Island...and no, I'm not from "Quahog"

Post by Indiana Neri »

I ordered my Wested a few years ago and I got the auth. lamb. Now that it's aged gracefully, like a fine wine, I have to say that my jacket is getting more and more screen accurate. I guess I have to thank my laziness for that, lol. I wish I could post pics, but I dont have a digital camera or a working scanner to scan 35mm. Go with the authentic. You must choose...but choose wisely. For the true [Wested] will bring you life. the false [Wested] will take it from you....then you have to send it back :shock: :wink: .

Indy N. :wink:
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

It's weird in film, because the colors can be very deceptive. In Raiders, Harrison's jacket was actually neon green, but the film stock made it a dark brown, while in TOD his jacket was plaid (they changed film stock suppliers) :wink:
Scandinavia Jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Scandinavia Jones »

nicktheguy wrote:It's weird in film, because the colors can be very deceptive. In Raiders, Harrison's jacket was actually neon green, but the film stock made it a dark brown, while in TOD his jacket was plaid (they changed film stock suppliers) :wink:
... and in LC, the jacket was baby blue, decorated with silk screened little Chevy Camaros and humming-birds.

You're forgetting the pink fedora. The original, screen-accurate salmon pink was unfortunately messed up in post-production and turned into the dull brownish hue we all come to believe is the "true" color of the hat.
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

Here are some pictures of my Authentic brown lambskin Wested. It looks different in different lighting situations:
Image Image Image Image

It is a beautiful jacket that screams "Raiders" from the moment I opened the package from Wested.
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

Scandinavia Jones wrote: You're forgetting the pink fedora. The original, screen-accurate salmon pink was unfortunately messed up in post-production and turned into the dull brownish hue we all come to believe is the "true" color of the hat.
Oh, oh! And the bag was made out of bubble wrap :!:

See, I know these things. 8)

Regards,
Swindiana
HigHurtenflurst
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by HigHurtenflurst »

LOL thanks guys! I'm going with the authentic lamb!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

You have chosen.....WISELY! :D Regards. Michaelson
zeus36
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by zeus36 »

If the jacket appears almost black on screen to millions of viewers and fans, then isn't that what attracted folks to obtain "the look"?

Dark jacket, khaki pants and a bone (or stone) colored shirt go great together. When you add a lighter brown jacket, even though it is authentic, you end up with a look that is very different from what we perceived in Raiders.
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

Zeus36, when you see the authentic brown in person, I don't think it looks that light a shade of brown. It must be darker than what you are thinking. Have you seen one?
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Bufflehead Jones wrote:Zeus36, when you see the authentic brown in person, I don't think it looks that light a shade of brown. It must be darker than what you are thinking. Have you seen one?
Yea, the authentic brown is not a light brown by any means. Its actually pretty dark. My authentic brown goat is excatly the same color as what is seen on screen. Its color is pretty close (although somewhat darker) to a surplus G-1 I have.
ob1al
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by ob1al »

I agree- the authentic brown is indeed what we see on the screen.

We wear our jackets under different lighting conditions to. My jacket looks a lot different during say, a daytime stroll to how it looks in a dimly lit pub later that same day.

Not that all my days consist of strolls and pubs.

Well, not exclusively... :wink:
Scandinavia Jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Scandinavia Jones »

My distressed authentic lamb:

Another guy wearing his authentic lamb:

As for the jacket being perceived as nearly black... there are a couple of promo pics (like this one) from ROTLA where it actually looks black... apart form that, at least I always figured the jacket was brown...
zeus36
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by zeus36 »

My Wested is Authentic Lambskin (Wested also calls is seal brown), but it just looks too light compared to My perception of the Raiders jacket on screen color. I know it is due to the lighting used in the filming, no big deal. Now that it is getting distressed, it's becoming even lighter.

My other jacket is a very dark brown lambskin from Banana Republic (from way back) that looks identical to the one drawn by Steranko in my avatar. When I wear the Optimo Indy and try on both jackets, the darker one just looks right. But I rarely wear the jackets with an Indy hat, unless I have a trench coat over the Wested or Banana Rep. separating the two.

Remember that Leather Concessionaires jacket picked up by Alabama Jones? That looked spot on for color, but again, you are at the mercy of lighting.

I'm sure this has all been brought up before and will continue to be a topic here. :)
Merrick
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Merrick »

Turn the 'brightness' level of your tv up until the jacket colour matches your own. Now it'll be screen accurate. See it's all from your point of view.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

All I can say is some of the advice a little green jedi master told me many years ago:

"Beware of the dark side..."
"Mind what you have learned (on Indygear), help you it can!"

I hope this advice helps you the way it's helped me, Hig. :wink: Darn, now where are the Yoda emoticons! :junior: -IJ
zeus36
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by zeus36 »

I was referring to the the screen at the theater. Way back in the day... :)
MK
Admin Emeritus

Post by MK »

*message deleted by the author*
Last edited by MK on Sat May 24, 2008 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard~Buxton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

re

Post by Richard~Buxton »

Nice shot Mk, I've just ordered my Raiders authentic Lamb, cant wait to get it. 8)
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

I know this is the jacket forum but take a look at the top dent in Indy's hat. It doesn't appear to be as deep as it is in some scenes. The pics also shows why we call auth brown auth brown. :D

Welcome to COW Cryptid~Explorer! :D
Richard~Buxton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Richard~Buxton »

Thanks J_Weaver, :D Yes I see what you mean about his Fed. I just can't wait to get mine from Steve aka Fedora. 8)
Jessep
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Jessep »

How is the jacket suppose to fight. I got the authentic lamb from wested and it just goes past my belt line. and when i lift my arms up it lifts up past my wast . I dont know how its suppose to fit. is it suppose to fit like a glove or be a little long?
Feraud
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Feraud »

Jessep wrote:How is the jacket suppose to fight. I got the authentic lamb from wested and it just goes past my belt line. and when i lift my arms up it lifts up past my wast . I dont know how its suppose to fit. is it suppose to fit like a glove or be a little long?
Does it feel good to you? That is the best measure of a garment! Some say the Raiders style jacket should just pass your beltline and touch the top of your back pockets.
This is a front shot but maybe you can get an idea of the length.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v120/ ... re2271.jpg
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

The Raiders jacket is a very short jacket, especially compared to contemporary sensibilities.
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Hemingway Jones wrote:The Raiders jacket is a very short jacket, especially compared to contemporary sensibilities.
Thats true, but I found that when wearing a gunbelt the shorter Riaders style is more comfortable. I know that really doesn't matter to most people. :wink:
Jessep
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Jessep »

Hemingway Jones wrote:The Raiders jacket is a very short jacket, especially compared to contemporary sensibilities.
Yeah mine feels good and is about the same. When I first got it in the mail around christmas I was scared that it was too short and too baggy, but it fits like a gloves , so its fine .
Jessep
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Jessep »

Thanks for the help as well .
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

All that matters is that it feels good on you. :tup:

I actually prefer thelonger ToD jacket for everyday use. It seems to work better with my everyday clothes than the shorter style jackets. However, I found that for 'adventuring' I like the shorter fit of the Raiders jacket. The shorter style doesn't bunch up around any gear you may be wearing on a belt, be it a gun, whip, knife, etc. I been playing with the idea of keeping my ToD Wested for everyday use and getting me a Raiders style to wear in the outdoors. But I guess any excuse to get another jacket is a good one. :D
Indiana Neri
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Rhode Island: The Tiny State That's Actually NOT An Island...and no, I'm not from "Quahog"

Post by Indiana Neri »

I love my Raiders AL jacket, though I remember on several occassions people telling me that "I should buy a jacket that fits", but they didn't know what they were talking about (a couple of people trying to provoke me because I was in Indy gear on a Holloween night). At first I wasn't sure about the length of my jacket either (before that night) because some of my T-shirts would hang past my jacket (not by much), but I've gotten used to that by now. And you're right, Weaver, the Raiders jacket doesn't interfere with any gear while hicking, climbing, etc. Believe it or not, I'm wearing my AL as we "speak" and I do not find it too light or too dark....It's juuuust right!

Indy N. :wink:

BTW: Does anybody else notice a pattern here? Am I the only one who becomes the topic of conversation during a Holloween function? :shock: