Design the Ideal Indy Motorcycle Jacket...

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Alabama Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Design the Ideal Indy Motorcycle Jacket...

Post by Alabama Jones »

I've been thinking if I could get Wested to agree to customize one (and if I had the funds) how I would design a Wested Indy Motorcycle Jacket.

- I'd start with a Last Crusade jacket (since he rides a motorcycle in it :D )

- I'd go with cowhide or most likely goat for best combination of durable, yet lightweight leather.

- Color would be black or possibly dark brown as an alternate.

- Sleeves would have zippers and/or snaps for adjusting to avoid "parachute action" .

- Collar would also have snaps so it wouldn't smack you in the face/helmet. Being LC style you could turn it up and go Fonzie. :D

-Front pockets would be zipperd instead of snap.

-Extra pocket on left chest (zippered) for sunglasses, goggles etc...

-Extra inside pocket.

- Another inch off the back length for less material to flap and an even snugger fit.

I think it would be pretty cool to have an Indy motorcycle jacket. 8)
Any bikers out there? What would you do to make an Indy bike jacket?
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

I think that sounds pretty good. I would go with the zipper cuffs. I guess the standard pocket flaps or zipper would be just a matter of preference. I would do away with the hand warmer pockets. No doubt that you would want the '80's fit'. Sounds cool! 8)
Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jess »

Peter has said that he will do collars with snaps on them to keep it from smacking a rider in the face/helmet. If I wanted a Indy bike jacket,I would request the snapped collar and tapered (not zippered) sleeves and just wear gloves with longer gauntlets to avoid the parachute effect. Otherwise it could end up looking like a regular crusier jacket with the exceptions of LC collar and vertical zipper. I've worn my Indy jacket a few time exactly because it didn't look like my normal (did I really just use that word?) jacket. I'd also leave as much leather on the jacket as possible, since taking even an inch off is removing part of your protection as a rider. There are three kinds of motorcyclists: Those that have wiped out those that are currently wiping out and those that will wipe out. Keep the rubber side down.
Last edited by Indiana Jess on Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

I think the snaps on the collar are essential. THere's nothing more annoying than getting whipped repeatedly in the face with a helmet strap or jacket collar.
I ride (I actually have a 1938 BMW with a sidecar) and an Indy jacket would be perfect to go with it.
Alabama Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Alabama Jones »

Indiana Jess wrote:Peter has said that he will do collars with snaps on them to keep it from smacking a rider in the face/helmet. If I wanted a Indy bike jacket,I would request the snapped collar and tapered (not zippered) sleeves and just wear gloves with longer gauntlets to avoid the parachute effect. Otherwise it could end up looking like a regular crusier jacket with the exceptions of LC collar and vertical zipper. I've worn my Indy jacket a few time exactly because it didn't look like my normal (did I really just use that word?) jacket. I'd lalso eave as much leather on the jacket as possible, since taking even an inch off is removing part of your protection as a rider. There are three kinds of motorcyclists: Those that have wiped out those that are currently wiping out and those that will wipe out. Keep the rubber side down.
Good points Jess.
What if you are all three of those types. :shock: :D

nicktheguy wrote:
I ride (I actually have a 1938 BMW with a sidecar) and an Indy jacket would be perfect to go with it.
Thats awesome! Put up some pics. Sadly, I'm "between bikes right now". And this Indygear spending aint helpin'.
zeus36
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by zeus36 »

I wear my stock Wested Indy lamb on my Fatboy mostly to and from work. I have Harley gauntlet gloves and still the air gets inside the cuffs due to sleeve ride-up. I would do the tapered sleeves with a knit cuff concealed inside.

Collar flap does occur but zipping up completely helps to minimize it. You do need the snaps on the collar tips. One of my horsehide police jackets has a snap on fur collar that is pretty slick.

I agree on keeping the waist a bit longer in the back to prevent ride-up. The hand warmer pockets are fine; they don't do anything in the wind. I would go with a double snap on those wide pocket flaps instead of the single one in the center. Also go with an inside storm flap on the main zipper and a throat strap.

Replace the sliders with real buckles and perforated straps to cinch up that waistline.
Horsehide is the best hide for a bike jacket, maybe kangaroo, but you really need some sort of a liner in the jacket, like Thinsulate.

There, now you have a totally new jacket!
Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jess »

Alabama Jones wrote:What if you are all three of those types. :shock: :D
You would be one unique individual.
Alabama Jones wrote:Thats awesome! Put up some pics. Sadly, I'm "between bikes right now". And this Indygear spending aint helpin'.
I hear that. I've been pricing out more chrome for the bike and the total is now up to $1800.00. The plastic in my wallet is screaming bloody murder. I wish it would stop, my coworkers are getting a little disturbed by the noise - unlike myself, who is quite disturbed.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Uh....no...to easy. =; :wink:

Seriously, Jess, don't linger to long. I've heard rumors that the EPA is getting set to shut down re-chroming companies across the U. S., so new chrome will undoubtedly go through the roof, price wise. I'm having the same thought processes going on regarding chrome for the old Plymouth.

Regards. Michaelson
Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jess »

Michaelson wrote: ... so new chrome will undoubtedly go through the roof, price wise ...
Like they haven't already!!? Thanks for the info. though I hate having to put off getting a binkhide ... I mean horsehide Wested and Adventurebuilt. I think some chrome on that Plymouth would give it a great look. The problem with getting chrome is that there's always something new to get. I thnk I have a sever case of "Chrome's" disease. :lol:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Considering bink is currently in a job search, the hide would come pre-distressed. (where's a rimshot when you need one? :roll: :wink: )
Regards. Michaelson
Alabama Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Alabama Jones »

Indiana Jess wrote: I hear that. I've been pricing out more chrome for the bike and the total is now up to $1800.00. The plastic in my wallet is screaming bloody murder. I wish it would stop, my coworkers are getting a little disturbed by the noise - unlike myself, who is quite disturbed.
You can never have too much chrome. 8)

What kind of bike you got? I'm guessing a Harley ________ ?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Actually, Jess just rides a moped, but he likes to pretend.... 8-[ :wink: Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jess »

Michaelson wrote:Actually, Jess just rides a moped, but he likes to pretend.... 8-[ :wink: Regards! Michaelson
Michaelson, you promised you wouldn't tell. It's a good thing I didn't tell you about sticking a megaphone in the end of the exhaust ... #-o.

Alabama, I did consider Harley Fat Boy for while but decided it would be a little redundant. Ended up getting a Honda VTX 1300 Retro. The styling and dependability just can't be beat - IMHO.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Megaphone? I thought that was an empty Maxwell House 3 pound coffee can. :-k :wink: Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jess »

#-o I'm gonna have to stop leaving those comments wide open for you.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Yep. It's been like shooting fish in a barrel this week. :? :lol: :wink: Regards! Michaelson
lowmileage
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by lowmileage »

Not wanting to get too off topic, if you are looking for very good and functional MC jacket, look at Fox Creek Leather. While not Indy, it is what a MC jacket should be and it weighs 9 lbs. I have one, it is their Classic II. Ride safe.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I remember the first time this question came up. At the time, FS was offering the Expedition in deerskin, as they were told that motorcycle patrol officers who rode the 'high desert' loved deerskin, as apparently it was very friction resistant, and yet still cool enough to wear in desert conditions. Never heard one way or the other if that was true, but that's why there was a deerskin FS Expo several years ago. Regards. Michaelson
Rixter
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rixter »

lowmileage,

I knew a guy who also owned a jacket from Fox Creek Leather, although it was the Classic I. He since moved away, but while he was still living here he was kind enough to allow me to wear it a number of times. He had it for many years, and it was rather beaten up, but I do recall it being one heavy jacket. I really envied him that jacket, especially because it fit me and was already very nicely broken in; but inexplicably, I had never thought til’ now to take advantage of the power of the internet to do a search for Fox Creek Leather until you mentioned it. The prices appear reasonable compared to what I’ve seen similar jackets selling for around this neck of the woods. Although I prefer the more classic style, you certainly have one nice jacket there! ...hmm, your real first name isn’t Milo is it? :-k :D
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Michaelson wrote:I remember the first time this question came up. At the time, FS was offering the Expedition in deerskin, as they were told that motorcycle patrol officers who rode the 'high desert' loved deerskin, as apparently it was very friction resistant, and yet still cool enough to wear in desert conditions. Never heard one way or the other if that was true, but that's why there was a deerskin FS Expo several years ago. Regards. Michaelson
I've never heard of deerskin being all that tough. I have a pair of deerskin work gloves that I keep on my climbing harness. From the way I've seen them age I would say that the deerskin may be a little tougher than lamb, but certainly not as tough as goat, horse, or cow. Of course I'm no leather expert, I may be wrong.
lowmileage
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by lowmileage »

Rixter wrote:lowmileage,

I knew a guy who also owned a jacket from Fox Creek Leather, although it was the Classic I. ...hmm, your real first name isn’t Milo is it? :-k :D
No Milo here! and my jacket is only a year old and still looks almost brand new - I guess I have to ride faster :) My wife wanted a femamnien (WETF that is) jacket and bought the Harley jacket with laces and fancy stuff. It was made in a country I never heard of :shock:
mechinyun
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by mechinyun »

I put together a custom jacket from wested similar to what your thinking of.

viewtopic.php?t=8281&highlight=
zeus36
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by zeus36 »

Here is one already made for us motorcycling Indy fans:

http://www.uswings.com/g-8.asp