Wested Horsehide?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

IndianaGuybrush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaGuybrush »

Though I definitely like the red undertones I would much prefer a jacket made of the hide he showed by Adventure Lad in his pics. It just screams Indy to me.
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

That jacket looks very different from the other horsehides that we have seen. I like it though. It has the advantages of horsehide and looks like a distressed jacket. I will be interested to see if more horsehide jackets are made that look like that.
Adventure Lad
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Adventure Lad »

Had no idea mine was so unique. Now I love it even more. :D
I'd be interested in seeing the redish horsehide jackets. The LC jacket had quite a redish colour to it but Ive never seen a replica with that colouring.

Adventure Lad
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Adventure Lad, welcome to Club Obi Wan! :D

it's always great to see new members here, and great to see another UK member.

BTW, whereabouts are you from in the UK?
Adventure Lad
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Adventure Lad »

Thanks Canyon, its good to find other people with a love of Indy.
I'm from Strood in Kent, where apparently I'm the only Indy fan around :?

Adventure Lad
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Awesome lookin' jacket there Adventure Lad, thanks for posting! :D It kinda reminds me of the way Indy's jacket looked in the beginning of Temple of Doom during the Lao Che plane scene. Enjoy your jacket in great health!

kind regards,
Captain D
Adventure Lad
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Adventure Lad »

Captain D wrote:Awesome lookin' jacket there Adventure Lad, thanks for posting! :D It kinda reminds me of the way Indy's jacket looked in the beginning of Temple of Doom during the Lao Che plane scene. Enjoy your jacket in great health!

kind regards,
Captain D
Thank you kindly Captain D. Temple is my favourite of the three movies. I think the costume as a whole is at its coolest in it.

Adventure Lad
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

rick5150 wrote:Wow, that is interesting. Usually the horsehide has the reddish color to it. Yours does not look red at all though. There were a few other Wested horsehides that I saw pictures of that were more reddish. Peter must be going crazy trying to get the hides to be consistent.
Well, obviously, this was a horse of a different color. :twisted:

Man, those crickets are loud. ;)
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Yeah, Jerry, it's good to see you back again.... :roll:
Bjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bjones »

Indiana Jerry wrote:

Man, those crickets are loud. ;)
That's all I've been hearing lately concerning horsehide, too. Recieved my latest update to the wait yesterday.

:-&
tehegemon
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by tehegemon »

Bjones wrote:latest breaking news: No horsehide yet. Wait another week. I'm getting emails from Gemma(?) now.
Greetings! I'm new here and am thoroughly enjoying reading various threads about these jackets.

I contacted Wested through their web site on 03-05-05 to inquire about ordering one of their Indy jackets in horse hide (for my husband) and received a reply from Gemma on 03-11-05 that they are still waiting for their order of horse hides to arrive...no ETA was offered.

Interestingly enough, as I browsed through threads earlier reading about these terrific Wested jackets - ToD appeared on the channel we happened to have on - which we weren't actually watching, but keep on to drown out ambiant background sounds (more like noise) inherent to city living whenever our weather hits above freezing.

I hope their horse hide arrives SOON for Bjones sake, as I too want to see much anticipated images before submitting my order. My fingers are crossed!!!
Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jess »

Dare I say that I've been "chomping at the bit" to order a horse hide. Too late now. #-o
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

And yet, you DID... #-o

If it were cooler here I'd be tempted to pick up a horsehide as well...I really wrestled w/ that before getting mine. But I really like the russet tones...
Bjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bjones »

tehegemon wrote:I hope their horse hide arrives SOON for Bjones sake, as I too want to see much anticipated images before submitting my order. My fingers are crossed!!!
If only hope was enough to reseolve availability issues and speed up this process....the anticipation and frustartion are positively numbing. I know I must be a thorn in Wested's side by now as I hit them up every week with the same question. The only reason for this is that if I don't ask, they won't tell me
wemedge
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Hello from another expectant horsehide fan

Post by wemedge »

Hello:

I too am marking the days off on my calendar waiting my horsehide raiders that I ordered on January 1 of this year. COW has allowed me to feed my jacket withdrawal pangs, and of course provided the knowledge and impetus to order in the first place.

Eagerly awaiting my jacket, I'm trying to make the best of it by enjoying the anticipation and, er, acquiring other gear :lol:

I heartily understand what Bjones is going through, just wanted to let you know.

Regards to all,

wemedge
Lao Feng
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Lao Feng »

Be strong! Courage!
Bjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bjones »

Anyone else who's got a HH order heard anything lately? Its been almost 2 weeks since my last probing. wemedge??
wemedge
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by wemedge »

Haven't heard anything either...

I actually get my horsehide news through your inquiries :lol:

wemedge
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Nada. I've been waiting for news of mine since I ordered on Feb. 26th. My credit card was charged, though, so I'm hoping that indicates a start of production. *crosses fingers*
Bjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bjones »

wemedge wrote:Haven't heard anything either...

I actually get my horsehide news through your inquiries :lol:

wemedge

:lol:

Well glad to be of service. I sent them another email yesterday, so we'll see what tidings that brings us. So it looks like there's at least 3 orders out with yours, mine and whipwarrior
guitone
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by guitone »

I just got back from London, wish I had found this forum first and I would have have gone and got measured and would be now impatiently waiting for my jacket to arrive.

The horse hide looks perfect...now to get over my aversion of using horse for a jacket when they are not as used in food, but wiat a minute, don't the French eat a lot of horse?
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

Welcome aboard Guitone, and nice to meet you! :D
(In case I missed to welcome you before.)

Also of a fan of All Stars?
Can you spot them in THIS shot then;

;)

Regards,
Swindiana
guitone
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by guitone »

Swindiana,

Are you kidding, I can spot them anywhere...when the scare came about converse going out of business I bought my stock for life and they sit piled high in the closet, the off white and blacks of course, both high and low. I have had knee problems and need more support so these have not gotten any use but I still have my hopes...my daugher of 16 now wears con's, the only ones deserving of the name are the chuck taylors of course.

Thanks for the welcome.
tehegemon
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

horsehide sourcing

Post by tehegemon »

Within the past 10 days I submitted an order to a leather clothing manufacturer in Galashiels, Scotland for a horsehide coat (not an Indy style) - which is actually enroute to me in the USA as I type this. I was under no impression (based upon my dealings with this particular manufacturer) that getting horsehides was so problematic; although, I was aware that this company had limited amounts of a particular color horsehide that was tanned differently in its final stage to feel softer with greater flexibility and to appear vintage with its grain is popping out everywhere.

So, for me, this begs a couple of questions:
1) Are other leather clothing/apparel manufacturers experiencing difficulty sourcing quality horsehides?
2) Is the problem simply accessibility, or procuring higher grade quality for more cost-effective pricing?

It seems horsehide is somewhat accessible as other companies have it on hand...but, at what price?

I'm guessing Peter of Wested can get it if he's willing to pay and charge his clients for it; although, I get the strong impression that he doesn't want to end up charging what other companies do charge. His pricing is part and parcel of the distinguishing difference between Wested and other manufacturers that offer retail-priced horsehide apparel.
Lemon
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Re: horsehide sourcing

Post by Lemon »

tehegemon wrote:So, for me, this begs a couple of questions:
1) Are other leather clothing/apparel manufacturers experiencing difficulty sourcing quality horsehides?
2) Is the problem simply accessibility, or procuring higher grade quality for more cost-effective pricing?

It seems horsehide is somewhat accessible as other companies have it on hand...but, at what price?
I think it is okay to mention Aero Leather on this website, we've certainly discussed their offerings before. They make very different jackets than the Indy by Wested. I have one of their Half-Belts and it is my favorite cold weather jacket.

Like all leathers, horsehide comes in several different grades. The stuff used by Aero, Vanson and Lost Worlds is heavy front quarter horsehide. This stuff is about 1.5mm thick (measured from swatches) and is very, very stiff. The Indy jacket would look all wrong with this kind of leather, it wouldn't drape. This weight of leather is hard to find. From talking to Vanson, there is only one tannery left in the US that makes heavy FQ horsehide. It is possible that some manufacturers have a tannery that is exclusive to them though. Certainly Aero and Lost Worlds have no shortage of FQ horsehide. Vanson only acquires theirs on special orders and horsehide jackets take up to 6 months to make! Pricing on this leather must be very high as all the major companies who use heavy FQ horsehide charge in the $700 range for jackets and waits of 2-3 weeks (or 6 months for Vanson!)

I think the best weight of leather for the Indy is the lighter 1.2mm thick mid-weight horsehide that is used in classic jackets like the A-2 military flight jacket. There is no shortage of this leather as many companies get it and use it easily, such as US Authentic, Aero, Eastman's, Real McCoys, Flightsuits, US Wings, etc. I think the trick for Wested is getting a lot of mid-weight horsehides that meet their quality AND are the right color. The classic russet of the A2 is too reddish for an Indy and the Seal Brown is probably too dark to be authentic. Availability of hides must be pretty good as A2 jackets in horsehide can be readily had from $270, with almost no wait at all.

That said, I still think kangaroo is the best for an Indy jacket with goatskin the next best hide. They drape properly since the leathers are very supple. My A-2 is more supple after 5 years of wear, but it doesn't drape like goatskin at all. I'd love to own a Wested Horsehide, but getthing hides that work for the Indy jacket style, in Grade A quality and in the right color must be a tough job.
tehegemon
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Re: horsehide sourcing

Post by tehegemon »

Lemon wrote:...heavy front quarter horsehide. This stuff is about 1.5mm thick (measured from swatches) and is very, very stiff. The Indy jacket would look all wrong with this kind of leather, it wouldn't drape. This weight of leather is hard to find...there is only one tannery left in the US that makes heavy FQ horsehide. It is possible that some manufacturers have a tannery that is exclusive to them though.

I think the best weight of leather for the Indy is the lighter 1.2mm thick mid-weight horsehide that is used in classic jackets like the A-2 military flight jacket. There is no shortage of this leather as many companies get it and use it easily, such as US Authentic, Aero, Eastman's, Real McCoys, Flightsuits, US Wings, etc. I think the trick for Wested is getting a lot of mid-weight horsehides that meet their quality AND are the right color. The classic russet of the A2 is too reddish for an Indy and the Seal Brown is probably too dark to be authentic. Availability of hides must be pretty good as A2 jackets in horsehide can be readily had from $270, with almost no wait at all.

That said, I still think kangaroo is the best for an Indy jacket with goatskin the next best hide. They drape properly since the leathers are very supple. My A-2 is more supple after 5 years of wear, but it doesn't drape like goatskin at all. I'd love to own a Wested Horsehide, but getthing hides that work for the Indy jacket style, in Grade A quality and in the right color must be a tough job.
Thanks Lemon for providing such informative insights about horsehide, as I had no idea. :D I also didn't consider color much as we typically stick to black.

I have noticed the significant difference in weight between medium horsehide and heavy FQ horsehide. I was fortunate enough to purchase a full-spec medium-weight horsehide biker jacket for my son at a fraction of retail since it was a prototype. Its particular style would not look right or fit properly if the leather was heavier and/or stiffer; so, within this context I understand what you mean about draping properly. I received sample cuttings of the heavy FQ horsehide, and it is indeed incredibly stiff.

I was hoping to order a Wested Indy jacket in horsehide for my husband to use as an everyday jacket. It appears this won't be forthcoming anytime soon. I had looked at the Kangaroo which is a bit pricey for our budget - especially after our recent purchase from Aero.

Thanks again Lemon for sharing your knowledge of horsehide! :D :D
Bjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bjones »

Latest news from Wested is "no news yet" on the horsehide.
wemedge
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by wemedge »

Bjones wrote:Latest news from Wested is "no news yet" on the horsehide.
Thanks for the update, Bjones!

wemedge
Bjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bjones »

OK...latest word from Wested is that they should have some horsehide in the "next week or two". Hopefully this shipment will pass Peter's quality inspection - I mean comon, there has to be a recently deceased horse out there somewhere that can cough up a decent hide :wink:
Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jess »

Bjones wrote: ... I mean comon, there has to be a recently deceased horse out there somewhere that can cough up a decent hide :wink:
I heard that bink isn't feeling well, so maybe ... 8-[ :-#
ob1al
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by ob1al »

Hang on Jess...he said DECENT hide, that rules ole Binky out... :wink:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

HEY! I happen to think my hide is quite fine... er, why are you measuring me up? :-s Stop it! Stop it, I tell you!!!! :shock:

bink
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

I mean comon, there has to be a recently deceased horse out there somewhere that can cough up a decent hide.
ROTFLMAO!!! :D
Bjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bjones »

Indiana Jess wrote:I heard that bink isn't feeling well, so maybe ... 8-[ :-#
Hmmm....my TOD in "Binkhide". Nah...doesn't have the same ringto it. Maybe as a backup...does that come in Dark Brown or Predistressed?? :-k
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

It'd definitely have to be predistressed, cuz I'm not givin' up my hide without a fight! :twisted:

You know, I could probably have a "wallethide" jacket made for everybody out of all the stollen wallets I've acquired from group hugs... if you don't mind all the seams and the patchwork effect. :wink:

bink
Bjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bjones »

binkmeisterRick wrote:You know, I could probably have a "wallethide" jacket made for everybody out of all the stollen wallets I've acquired from group hugs...
I don't think I will ask for any clarification on that comment.... :-k (at some party--> *Bink with grin and outstretched arms* "Come on...who wants a hug?? Don't be shy now"...)

Oh prolly shouldn't mention seams in this crowd either Bink.... :P

Come ooooonnnnn horsehide [-o<
Rob
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Rob »

I think we might need some Peter-esque clarification here.

Prior to this jacket, the horsehides were all pretty red (mine included). Now, we knew this was going to change at some stage, so the fact that this guys is different is very interesting and cool.

BUT, it raises the question - if 'Joe Public' orders a Wested horsehide tomorrow, what's he going to get? Is this the new-look horsehide, making the original red-tone jackets collectors items (???) Or did Peter just manage to luck-out with a great hide for this jacket, but the standard will still have a more red-feel to it?

It would be great to know, primarily for people who order HH from now on... but as a secondary thing, it would also intrigue me to know whether 'the red jacket' was now an endangered species or not.
IndianaGuybrush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaGuybrush »

Well I think the entire problem is even Peter doesn't know what he's going to get re:horsehide until it shows up on his front door and he inspects it. Seeing as he's having more or less ocnstant problems with the supplier(s) I think Horsehide Westeds are going to go the way of the Dodo soon. :(
Rob
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Rob »

That's such a shame... but hey, I'm really happy with mine :)
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Bjones wrote:
Indiana Jess wrote:I heard that bink isn't feeling well, so maybe ... 8-[ :-#
Hmmm....my TOD in "Binkhide". Nah...doesn't have the same ringto it. Maybe as a backup...does that come in Dark Brown or Predistressed?? :-k
What's the best way to preserve 'Binkhide'? :-k

Count to 100, but don't go looking for him. :twisted:
Bjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bjones »

Rob wrote:I think we might need some Peter-esque clarification here.

BUT, it raises the question - if 'Joe Public' orders a Wested horsehide tomorrow, what's he going to get? Is this the new-look horsehide, making the original red-tone jackets collectors items (???) Or did Peter just manage to luck-out with a great hide for this jacket, but the standard will still have a more red-feel to it?
Good questions Rob..I would imagine that Peter has been trying to find some hide that has a similar color/appearnce to yours, Jersey Jones', WConley's etc. Adventure Lad's is the only "different" one of the bunch with that somewhat distressed appearance. In my emails and calls with Wested so far, there has been no mention that the recent batches of hide are being rejected for color, only scars and blemishes, so the color could be similar....My guess is Peter knows what he is looking for with color, its just the quality of the hides underneath hasn't been good.

Whatever he ends up getting, I'm sure it will look good.
jeff
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by jeff »

For what it's worth, I received email from Wested this morning indicating that they think they should have a batch of horsehides coming within a couple weeks.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Indiana Jerry wrote: What's the best way to preserve 'Binkhide'? :-k

Count to 100, but don't go looking for him. :twisted:
...98...99...100... Hey, where'd everybody go? :? Oh, well, I guess I won't be able to give away this free Wested Horsehide...

(Jerry pokes his head out from behind a rock)

GOTCHA!

bink
Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jess »

jeff wrote:For what it's worth, I received email from Wested this morning indicating that they think they should have a batch of horsehides coming within a couple weeks.
That's great new!! With the price of horse hide jackets that I've seen around here, Peter's jacket is a steal.
Rob
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Rob »

That would be the understatement of the year... and also the reason I was first cab off the rank when they announced horsehide.
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

I spoke with Peter on Friday (April 22) and he said he was expecting his shipment by next Friday. He said the horsehide they'd been getting "wasn't up to snuff" but he was hopeful this next shipment would be good......fingers crossed
Bjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bjones »

That's good news...I may actually get to wear mine before summer hits if the weather keeps up like it did this weekend - got a few inches of snow over the weekend. Otherwise, it will hit the closet until september.
jeff
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by jeff »

Bjones wrote:That's good news...I may actually get to wear mine before summer hits if the weather keeps up like it did this weekend - got a few inches of snow over the weekend. Otherwise, it will hit the closet until september.
Bjones - you ordered back in November, right?
Bjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bjones »

jeff wrote:Bjones - you ordered back in November, right?
You are correct sir...November 11th. After the first month or so, the time has actually flown by :|
wemedge
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by wemedge »

Crossing fingers and toes for a batch of good (and of sufficient quantity) horsehide on April 29th!

:D

wemedge