My sincere apologies in advance....

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Shawnkara
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

My sincere apologies in advance....

Post by Shawnkara »

I know we're not to supposed to post ebay listings but I seriously doubt anyone here is watching/bidding on this. You guys HAVE TO SEE THIS :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

EDIT: Link removed by adm. according to posted rules.
Snakewhip_Sable
Scoundrel

Post by Snakewhip_Sable »

THAT'S CRAZY! but cool.
Shawnkara
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shawnkara »

Thanks, Clinton but I don't really want one. I just thought it was too crazy not to show you guys. Cripe, I'd be afraid to use it.
Paul_Stenhouse
Vendor

Post by Paul_Stenhouse »

How's the break-in period? :whip:
Feraud
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Feraud »

nice conversation piece. :whip:
Indy_Stone
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Indy_Stone »

Looks to me like some sort of wierd masacist....thing. :shock:
Scandinavia Jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Scandinavia Jones »

ClintonHammond wrote:"Orange whip? Orange whip? Orange whip? Can we have 3 Orange Whips please..."
A Burton Mercer quote! :lol:

Btw... ah... nice... whip? :shock: :?
RC Halliburton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by RC Halliburton »

Clinton,
"We're in a truck!"
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

Well, I agree with the admins. You can't have exception rules making their job harder than it already is.

You can always make a screengrab of the auction when it is done or post the link to it when it is over instead... Though this auction piece would be great for Hallowen instead of being Indy gear, for making metal rattle noices with a white sheet over your head. ;)

Regards,
Swindiana
Shawnkara
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shawnkara »

You can just do a search for "chainmail bullwhip". Trust me, it's the only one on there :lol:
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

Call me the dullest person around, I don't mind.
It's just that there's been endless discussions about this in the past, yet it keeps coming up again and again with the same result -the link gets deleted.
So why push it when you can wait just a few days longer until the acution is over?

My 2 cents.

Regards,
Swindiana
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

Paul_Stenhouse wrote:How's the break-in period? :whip:
I find that it only breaks in the weakest link. :whip:
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Mods, pleezzzzzeee don't do this to me! :( :roll:

It's okay guys. I've seen the listing on e-bay. Scary looking whip. :shock:
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

ClintonHammond wrote:"You can't have exception rules making their job harder than it already is."

Ya... like their job is SOOOOooo -hard- in the first place..... This is just an -internet message board-... it's not rocket-science...

-W-

This was a FUN piece of thread about a neat little piece of kit that was sorta kinda half-way related... Especially if ya wanna buy a whip you could actually swing from...

But NOOOooo.....

(if it was MY place I'd encourage stuff like this... If for nothing more than -fun-.... (Do you remember FUN, Miles?) I guess some can be glad it's not...)
I think you underestimate the mods. They have to way up friendhships and rules and make utilitarian decisions even if that means alientating certain members at times and making themselves out to be bad guys when all they really want is to do whats best overall. Give them a break!

Ken
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

At the risk of padding this w/ 'dittos'...it's for sake of the mods who keep this place running:

Ditto, add my $.02 to Swindy's. 4 pennies coming...

OT EDIT:
THANK YOU, Shawnkara, for the search terms. Folks, that's what you ought to be doing if you want to stay in-bounds from the 'no ebay links' rule - mention some unique search terms.

Now that I've seen it...19'? CHAINMAIL??? That's a monster! I've never seen a three-foot fall before...nor a three foot popper! I imagine if this broke during a crack you'd be shooting off chainlinks at your targets...
Last edited by Indiana Jerry on Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Darn, hoped to have my edit in before you replied. Scroll up - the point is, there's EASY things you can do, like Shawnkara did, instead of intentionally peeing into the pool and then extensively padding out threads w/ rants about the rules.

Peace, but obviously I owe you one fair opportunity to retort. Have at it. ;)

J
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Hey, no, I get a kick out of the whip itself, and I guess I should have said so - THANK YOU for pointing it out, that's funny, and (Indy-related) maybe it COULD be used for swinging...but man, I wouldn't try. ;)

Re: the search terms vs. the link, I guess a link makes it too easy for everyone to just pile on an auction. If there's search terms, it's at least going to filter this somewhat to just the people who have a genuine interest. I agree the two options aren't far apart, but hey, maybe there's more signifigance to cross-linking sites than I understand, and at the end of the day, it's the rule, and I have no problem complying. Consider it a game. ;)
Shawnkara
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shawnkara »

Geez, guys I'm sorry about that. I didn't know this would start a scrap. Sure, I knew the link would probably get deleted. I don't care about that. The point of the rule is so no unwanted attention is drawn to something a board member may be bidding on, thereby potentionally driving up the price. I REALLY, SERIOUSLY doubted that was case with this item so I slipped it in there. In hind sight I should have done what I ended up doing later in the thread, posting the search terms. Clinton, there is no difference between the terms and the link, I agree. But the rule says no LINKS. It's a loop hole.
Anyway I'm glad it entertained. You should stop bickering over it. I broke the rule and I knew it, I just thought it might slip through because it was kind of a joke posting. I certainly wasn't trying to promote the thing.
OH! By the way, I was on eBay earlier and you've GOT to see this other thing I found.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted:
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Shawnkara wrote:OH! By the way, I was on eBay earlier and you've GOT to see this other thing I found.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted:
Hey, the link isn't working... :twisted:
thefish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by thefish »

I saw this last week. Pretty cute, but completely useless...

It's 4-in-1 chain linked into a tube around a section of steel pipe. Not really difficult, and it WOULDN'T snap. "Weakest link" in chainmail is like the weakest strand in braided leather. The weak points are interlaced with multiple strong points, making it REALLY strong.

But, still dangerous, because unlike braided leather, bits will fly off. Unless they were riveted links, (and they're not. Riveted mail is a PITA,) you'd definitely lose rings, and throwing galvanized steel hoops downrange and close to 500 miles and hour would be a BAD thing.

I've done chainmail in the past, and when I saw this, I thought "that's kind of cute. I could give that a try," and then thought of ways of improving on their design based on what I know about whipmaking, (i.e. putting a 4-in-1 pattern of smaller diameter alumium inside that larger 4-in-1 galvanized overlay and putting a regular 1-1 alumium chain as a core to carry the weight though, but that'd be EXTREMELY heavy and just NUTS!)

But, while that particular pattern is incredibly easy, it's also very labor intensive, and I have better things to do with my time, like get better with my kangaroo whip ;-)