Border Grooves

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Rosenet
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Border Grooves

Post by Rosenet »

I'm considering a TAG bag strap to replace the stock WPG strap, and the question of border grooves has come up. I did a search and couldn't find a discussion of whether the strap had grooves or not. Can anyone comment on the border grooves issue as it relates to the movies, and can anyone relate to how the different straps look in real life?
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

I think there may have been two different versions, one with grooves, one without. Some people don't see them but I certainly do. I'd say get the strap with the grooves.
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

I would have to answer that by saying that neither the gunbelts nor the bag straps should have these border grooves. After many many years of gearing that was the first thing I noticed about the TAG gear. I am myself interested in getting some, however, no offense to TAG but I have issues with quality and the accuracy in terms of the border grooves. So My advice to TAG is loose the grooves.
Rosenet
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Rosenet »

TAG offers both grooved and ungrooved specifically because there is disagreement about the authenticity of the grooves. I'm hoping someone has seen both and can comment on which is more screen accurate and which actually looks better in person. I wouldn't want to get grooves if they look good on film and crappy in person.
indiana_dudley
Vendor

Post by indiana_dudley »

Rosenet wrote:TAG offers both grooved and ungrooved specifically because there is disagreement about the authenticity of the grooves. I'm hoping someone has seen both and can comment on which is more screen accurate and which actually looks better in person. I wouldn't want to get grooves if they look good on film and crappy in person.
Personally, I think what looks good depends on the quality of the leather used. Saying that
a 'border grooved' or 'edge creased' strap gives a better finished appearance to the leather
in my opinion.

As to whether these 'groves' are screen accurate, I don't think we will answer that question
in this thread...

ID
Luisiana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Luisiana Jones »

Really I´ve tried hard but I just can´t see those grooves
Shawnkara
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shawnkara »

If you hop over to Lao Che's Table there's a post about beards. Ken posted one of my all-time favorite Indy photos. It has a REAL nice view of that strap and there are no grooves. I don't know where the idea of grooves on either the strap or the gunbelt came from.
crazylegsmurphy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by crazylegsmurphy »

Based on that pic, it doesn't look like there are grooves.
crazylegsmurphy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Last edited by crazylegsmurphy on Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Texas Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Texas Jones »

In my opinion, the original strap did not have grooves at all. If you want authenticity, go without them. But I will say that I sell the border groove strap about 90% more than without grooves.
crazylegsmurphy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Of course, the gooves are cool! They add a more "finished" look instead of a slab of Leather. :D
Rosenet
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Rosenet »

Why do you think grooved straps sell better? Are they more rugged or long lasting? Do they look better? Are they sexually attractive? <grin>
crazylegsmurphy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

I know thats why I sell better!
Templar
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Templar »

My understanding is that the edge crease line on leathergoods was once a necessity, but now is there for traditions sake, more than anything
when leather was tanned without modern machinery to ensure even penetration, there was a tendency for the grain (top) layer to seperate from the fibrous fleshy part beneath.
to stop this, a hot crease was run around the edge to bind the layers together
people got so used to it, that nowadays, though there is very little chance of seperation, leathergoods look unfinished without an edge crease, so I for one, tend to crease, but do it cold.
with most modern leather, there is no practical, but only cosmetic, advantage in an edge crease.
Shawnkara
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shawnkara »

I think maybe grooves are preferred because it does add that "finished" look. It says "This was always meant to be a strap" as oppsed to "this is a raw piece of leather I cut into a srtip". Interesting historical info on the grooves, by the way. I always assumed it something to do with a machine holding the leather secure while it was being cut.
Luisiana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Luisiana Jones »

lol, I know Mr.Texas Jones but from my view, I preffer them without the grooves and seeing that you got them without them, if I ever order you one it will be without them :wink:
Neolithic
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Neolithic »

If you've got that 1981 issue of Rolling Stone with Indy of the front, you'll clearly see the grooves on the strap. When I look at the original Amsel Raiders poster, I see grooves there as well. I think it's possible they were on the Raiders strap- but definately not in the following films.
Luisiana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Luisiana Jones »

If any one has that pic, could you upload it to the net, id really like to see it cuz i just can´t see the grooves :wink:
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

I am afraid it wasnt me who posted the pic it was Rick but you're right its a great pic:

Ken
Luisiana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Luisiana Jones »

You see, NO GROOVES :wink: , btw does the grooves make it more resistible, i mean harder to break or something :shock: or is it just ornament?
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

It looks cooler.
Luisiana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Luisiana Jones »

Bah, it ain´t the Indy way :wink: , btw are tag straps thick?