Different Crack Techniques

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Indiana Jimbo
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Different Crack Techniques

Post by Indiana Jimbo »

Hey everyone,
I have owned a whip since August of 2004, the time of my 14th birthday. I have mastered the forward crack, the sidearm, and one where it swings in a counterclockwise motion and when it gets behind me I crack it like a forward crack. These are all I know. Is there a website that describes how to do more? I tried to look but they all try to sell me things. I can't imagine that I have learned all there is to know. Please if you know any neat cracks but cannot find a website, try to describe them. Thanks guys.

Jimbo[/img]
Glurrk
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Glurrk »

Try www.bullwhip.org

(Hope that's of some help) :)
thefish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by thefish »

...And if you can find Andrew "bullwhip.org" Conway's book, (creatively named, "The Bullwhip Book,") pick it up. It is a fantastic, step-by-step of whip cracking, care and technique.

The section on how a whip works needs updated, as some new information on the physics of the whip has come to light since publication, and it's also out of print, but it's still the best textual source for whip CRACKING out there that's in print.

Good luck!

-Dan
Bernardodc
Vendor

Post by Bernardodc »

Hey Indiana Jimbo,

What kind of whip do you have?

Bernardo
Luisiana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Luisiana Jones »

UHm, please may some one gimme tips so i dont crack it in my legs or my face :wink:
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

This has been discussed very much here on this forum. There are plenty of tapes/DVD's. Look at these threads:
viewtopic.php?t=6348&sid=42af6472be2052 ... afb699198e
viewtopic.php?t=8139&highlight=whip+videos

In addition, do a "search" on "videos" in the "bullwhip" section.
Luisiana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Luisiana Jones »

Uff, i just read a whip can cut throug flesh and bones?!?!?! I have had lots of injures (just lots of this purple marks on your skin, sry dunno the word in english, please say it so) but i never thought it could hurt you that much :wink:
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

Something traveling at about Mach 1.25 could do that to you. :wink:
Be careful...

Regards,
Swindiana
IndianaGuybrush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaGuybrush »

Luisiana Jones wrote:Uff, i just read a whip can cut throug flesh and bones?!?!?! I have had lots of injures (just lots of this purple marks on your skin, sry dunno the word in english, please say it so) but i never thought it could hurt you that much :wink:
bruises :wink:
racerx
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by racerx »

In the meantime I've made up my own routines although I still would like to get some further instruction. I really like DeLongis' style. Whenever I try something new, I go through the movements slowly - without trying to crack - just to get an idea of where the whip will go. In two years I've yet to injure myself.

I totally agree, useing the visualation of the railroad tracks, that Anthony Delonges teaches has kept me from being hit, along with taking it slow by throwing the whip without trying for the crack at first.

And that Robert Duke is one heck of a whipcracker as well as a whipmaker,
I sure hope he comes out with a whipcracking/teaching video one of these days :) .

I have mastered the forward crack, the sidearm, and one where it swings in a counterclockwise motion and when it gets behind me I crack it like a forward crack

Jimbo,
have you tried combining those cracks you've learned into a routine,
if not give it a try, its a lot of fun.

All the best.

Jim J.
thefish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by thefish »

And the reason that Robert knew what you were doing wrong? Scars from many moons ago. This is the unfortunate way we learn, (unfortunate in that it's often the most effective.)

Seriously, yes, a whip can very well cut flesh and to some extent could break bone.

Day one of my whip class, Gery put a green banana in a target and cut it clean in half to demonstrate that whips, (as our noble moderators have professed time and time again,) are not toys. Now, I don't know if you'd ever actually looked closely at a green banana, but they're hard enough to cut with a knife and have about the same structural integrity as a finger. Crack...two easy pieces.

You can take off a finger, ear, or put out an eye with a whip. You can cause some pretty nasty flesh wounds with a whip, the concussive force of a moderate to heavy whip thong/fall at the exact point of the energy release, (the crack,) could snap a lighter bone like a finger, metacarpal, rib, or collar bone.

Now, the odds of doing this to yourself aren't incredibly high, especially if you're throwing the crack AWAY from yourself, and to do that kind of damage with a whip take more control than strength, (to aim the whip so that the energy release happens at the point of impact,) BUT that's not to say that accidents don't happen.

Be careful, take precautions, expecially when you are just starting out.

I've been lucky so far. Most I've had were a couple welts on my calves, (through thick jeans,) when I started, and a glowing red ear a couple weeks back from trying a sidearm after a LONG winter break. I've been working a lot more lately because of the good weather and the upcoming Ohio WWAC convention in July, working on targeting, volleys and routines. I'm sure there are MANY more injuries to come. Nature of the business...

...But it's sure a #e!! of a lot of fun :lol:

Good luck!

-Dan
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

You can read my nightmare story here:
viewtopic.php?t=3653&highlight=retinal

I came close to loosing my left eye. I would suggest wearing goggles and a hat, until you are very comfortable knowing where that whip tip is, constantly.
Luisiana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Luisiana Jones »

I just read your story Sergei, and wow, my "bruises" (thx Guybrush) don´t even come close to that, they even seem normal, and now I see that every whip "master" has had to come across injuries caused by the whip.

Thanks for the info, and story, and keep the whips crackin
Robert Duke
Vendor

Post by Robert Duke »

Pagey wrote:... I was pretty well versed in whip cracking and it wasn't long before I could put theory into practice - about a day in fact. I remember I could do all the basic cracks except the circus crack. With that one I always ended up hitting my backside. I related this problem to Robert Duke ( my whipmaker) and he immediately replied that he knew exactly what I was doing wrong and told me how to correct it. I didn't see how he could really know what the problem was but I followed his advice. And he was spot on - I never hit myself again!
What I've learned in my experience in teaching whipcracking was not so much from my own painful mistakes but actually watching a beginner attempt to crack it. From my view, each and every one would begin the same way. First people would snap the whip, jerking the whip towards themselves... the more muscle the better in their mind. Quite often one would hit themselves this way, but still get off some good loud cracks. Please trash that way of cracking. I hate seeing people do that. It's like popping a towel with the sudden jerkback.
Next I would demonstrate the circus crack. Their technique would follow same.. the more muscle, the better... wrong.... Just see for once how effortless that you can crack a whip. See how slow and light you can crack it. I show people that just by dropping my arm, no muscling, that I can crack the whip. I just broke the sound barrier without using any testosterone whatsoever. Its funny how that long word has so much to do with a beginning whipcracker's repertoire. Go easy and light. When you have mastered the crack in this way, then you can learn to zap when needed and look like a pro. Everyone wants to rush rush rush it. Snap Snap.
My simple technique for the circus crack is to bring the whip back somewhat quickly and forcibly. This is where most people are extremely feeble at wimpy, though they can prove to you how fast they can throw it forward. Ouch. Get a wimpy backswing/upstroke and you will hit your backside, ear, leg, whatever. Get it back quick and slow forward, watching for a little loop in the thong as it goes by towards the end. Effortlessly sling the whip forward... very slow... quick back, forward slow... repeat til u get little cracks... slow is the key... take baby steps. Once babysteps are mastered you will progress quickly. Too many want to hurry it all up, so they will look good... (testosterone talking there)

Snap! Crackle! Pop! :whip:

Robert Duke
http://www.DukeWhips.com
Jessep
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Jessep »

is it easier to use a whip if its more money? I had a 15 dollar one a while ago and it was only 5 feet long and impossible to use. I think it was made of rat tail?
thunderquack
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by thunderquack »

I was just out practicing my side arm crack. Yeah I cracked it alright right across my backside. Think I need some more practice?