Bag and straps comparisons

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Luisiana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Bag and straps comparisons

Post by Luisiana Jones »

Hey all, just some doubts here, for what i read WPG´s bags are the exact same bag as the mkvII only that brand new, easier to get :wink: , and have a pocket in the inside that its not split into 2, correct? any other difference?

Now straps doubts, which is the most screen accurate strap? Texas action gear?? WPG comes with a strap pretty good accurate??

Thanks for the help guys
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

TAG or Keppler for the straps. Regards. Michaelson
IndianaGuybrush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaGuybrush »

In my limited experience, the TAG strap looks better than the Keppler strap, and I really like the TAG buckle. The Keppler strap, on the other hand, is of a much nicer leather, and is much more comfortable. By nicer I mean thicker and softer. For a costume strap I'd go with TAG, for a strap I'll be using all the time I'm glad I have my Keppler. Keep in mind though that TAG ships in a few days whereas in could take you months for your Keppler strap. If I knew ahead of time that I could have my strap next week instead of in 2-8 months I think I'd go with TAG.
Shawnkara
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shawnkara »

There's no problem with a reproduction bag. The pocket thing is the only issue and honestly, who cares? The only reason the bag might look "odd" is that it's BRAND NEW and very crisp. Authentic bags are almost NEVER found in new, unissued condition so we're simply not used to seeing them that way. Kind of the way a new Wested almost looks silly right out of the box until it starts to develop character. I've owned three unissued bags and they all looked just like the repro before I bleached them. Id' go TAG for the strap and buckle. I have one of Richard's buckles and it's the best I've ever seen. VERY accurate. He also has the option of grooves/no grooves on the straps and they're readily available in two lenghts. You can also try toddscostumes.com Todd has a very similar strap and buckle and for about the same price. But with Todd's only the 65" strap is usually stocked. You have to have the 72" made on request as I understand it.
Luisiana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Luisiana Jones »

And now another question, is that bad wpg´s strap, that even that it has a leather strap everyone gets another one :wink:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

It's the color of the WPG strap that turns folks off...that and the incorrectly shaped buckle. Otherwise, it's a real strong strap if you don't care one way or the other....Regards. Michaelson
Luisiana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Luisiana Jones »

Uhm, yep and the last question, is the TAG strap white by the back?? :?:
IndianaGuybrush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

No, the TAG strap is the same color front and back, a very nice dark brown.
Luisiana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Luisiana Jones »

lol, well now that things are clear in my head, thanks for the help :wink:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Pagey wrote:The WPG strap is simply horrible. The thing barely feels like leather and the colour is a thin painted on finish. You really can only throw it away. It's like a toy strap.
You must have received a bad one, Pagey. Mine was heavy harness leather that softened up nicely with a treatment of Pecards. Bad color, but other than that, nothing toy about mine. Regards. Michaelson
crazylegsmurphy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by crazylegsmurphy »

I am looking to get a strap for my new MKVII that should be arriving soon, and I have a question.

Does Indy's strap button, Rivet, or is it sewn around the O Ring?
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

You'll find a few comparison shots of a G&S 1942 bag and a redyed WPG repro HERE.

In my opinion the hardware could be a lot better, but that's just me.
I've seen shots of a repro Mk IV mask with a repro Mk VI bag, and the hardware on those are almost identical to the real deal.

It all depends on how picky you are about stuff like that I guess. ;)

Regards,
Swindiana
crazylegsmurphy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Are you hitting on me?

Ohhh...whats a Chicago Screw? :wink:
Scandinavia Jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Scandinavia Jones »

crazylegsmurphy wrote:Ohhh...whats a Chicago Screw?
crazylegsmurphy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Oh! Sweet!

The TAG strap has a button right?
Scandinavia Jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Scandinavia Jones »

Redinight
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Redinight »

I very much like my Toddscostumes bag strap, it is very similar to the TAG one. Thoughts? Anyone else purchase from Todds?
indiana_dudley
Vendor

Post by indiana_dudley »

Haven't been around here much in the last few months having been job hunting and getting
married and all that. But just a reminder to all UK gearheads that the http://www.lost-ark.net
site offers a series of leather gear too.

Good to see an bagstrap thread running again :)

http://www.lost-ark.net

ID
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

I will make a strap with no grooves if you request it. I do have the 72" straps on hand. I guess that's not clear on the web page. It would be nice to hear from a few of the dozens of members here who have my straps and have told me that they love them.

As far as buckle, is there something wrong with mine?Image

I made mine from scratch to make it the most accurate possible. I'd like to hear feedback on what can be improved.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Speaking for myself, I didn't mention yours, puppetboy, because I've never seen or handled one myself. I have the Keppler, and I own a TAG. Regards. Michaelson
Luisiana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Luisiana Jones »

Is puppet boy the owner of toddscostumes?? are his their straps? (or change the subject to you if you can answer :wink: )

Thanks for the info @all
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

That is correct, he is Todd of 'toddscostumes' Regards. Michaelson
crazylegsmurphy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Sorry if this is a question that has been asked/debated a million times, but I am also in the same position. I need to get a strap for my MKVII, and I am not sure which one to go with.

Without creating a grudge match between the guys that are trying to sell their straps, what would be the things to look for in a strap?

Me personally, I would rather have a high quality strap that doesn't "bleed" or break. That is my top priority. Other than that, all of the straps seem to be about the same price, so what should I look for in terms of accuracy?

So far I know that darker the better, about 1 inch width, Chicago Screw, and for a 5'11" guy, a 65" strap will do.

So what about the buckle, the grooves?

Thanks!
Luisiana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Luisiana Jones »

That´s good to know, well I just discovered that every owner of every Indy gear web that I like posts here :wink: TAG,AB,Todd...
Alabama Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Alabama Jones »

I ordered a TAG strap a few days ago. Anyone have any idea how long it takes to receive them?
IndianaGuybrush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

you should be getting it any day now. I think it took about 3 days to reach me.
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

Perhaps COW should have an "Ultimate Strap Shootout"! Get a panel of expert judges to score them in various categories. Write it up like a "Road and Track" article. :wink:

Really, though, who would have thought there was so much to a strap?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

MK did that a long time ago with a 'fedora' shootout at the Queen Mary, photos and all. Yep. The debate goes on and on about gear, doesn't it? :D :wink: Regards. Michaelson
Alabama Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Alabama Jones »

IndianaGuybrush wrote:you should be getting it any day now. I think it took about 3 days to reach me.
Thanks!

Did it come postal or UPS?

Just gettin' a little itchy 'cause its been over a week.
Texas Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Texas Jones »

A quick note to those waiting for their straps:

There was a problem with my leather vendor as they sent me the wrong items to make the straps. After I sent those back, they forgot to re-send the correct items to me. Now, it has all been worked out and I can expect the materials any day now.

I apologize for the wait, as I pride myself on getting order completed and sent out very quickly. Unfortunately, I do not have control over difficult vendors. Rest assured these orders will be completed and sent out by the weekend.

Many thanks for the patience.

TJ
Alabama Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Alabama Jones »

That actually might work out better for me.

Can I change my order to one WITHOUT the grooves?

EDIT: Thanks Tex!
Falstaff
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Falstaff »

I just received a TAG strap the other week to replace the one from Noel Howard. It's a nice strap. I really like the color and the ease with which it was attached to the bag. My ONLY complaint is that the strap is quite thin and I'd be concerned about it breaking if I were to carry somthing heavy in the bag. It's a great costume strap, but I wish it were also offered in a thick, heavy-duty version. The one from lost-ark.net looks thicker, but I wish the color were more like the TAG strap.
Texas Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Texas Jones »

I used to provide the strap in thicker leather, but I think it makes it too bulky. Believe me, you cannot break this strap by placing something heavy in your bag. It is quite durable, and drapes across the body better.
Falstaff
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Falstaff »

Texas Jones wrote:I used to provide the strap in thicker leather, but I think it makes it too bulky. Believe me, you cannot break this strap by placing something heavy in your bag. It is quite durable, and drapes across the body better.
You're certainly correct about the way your strap drapes--it does look better than a thicker piece of leather. I guess I'm the type of person who believes that something has to be thick to be strong. But summer's nearly here and I'll be wearing my bag to work often--the strap will get a good workout and my concerns about the strength of it will probably be put to rest. It is the best looking strap I've seen thus far.
Shawnkara
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shawnkara »

Falstaff,
I wouldn't worry about the thickness/durability ratio of the strap. Just think about how thin boot leather is and footwear goes through far more stress than most people realize even with just walking. Besides, with the length of these straps I'm guessing they'd have to be cut from the hide length-wise, with the grain. OH! By the way, what the heck do you plan to carry in your bag that can snap a leather strap :shock:
Shawnkara
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shawnkara »

LOL!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Clinton, you're the man!
Falstaff
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Falstaff »

Shiva and I are on good terms, thank you for asking...

Other than my sunglass case and other things like address book n'stuff, just DVD's on 'New Release Tuesday.' I know it's not much, I was just thinking about those 'what if's.' What if I find an odd-looking stone with three strips on it on my way to work? What if some weird frenchman in a white suit drops a golden idol on the ground and I try to retun it to him?

You never know...
M.L. Jones
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by M.L. Jones »

There's a nearly new condition 1941 MKVI bag on EBay right now, (shamless plug), #7505050244, comes with leather strap!

M.L. Jones :lol:
crazylegsmurphy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

hmmm, I don't wanna sound like a poopnugget but, isn't your Ebay description a little misleading?

Isn't Indy's a MKVII, not a MKVI?
M.L. Jones
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by M.L. Jones »

Right, sorry to offend you, I will put this info in proper thread. And by the way, both the MKVI & MVII bags were used in the I.J. film series. :shock:

M.L.Jones
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Just pitching one in from the cheap seats...

...I still like my old rifle sling that Ace, Redbeard, and The German got us looking into...
viewtopic.php?t=9981&highlight=possibly+bag+strap

Just got a MKVII, too, so the look is right. Still can't help thinking they used an old surplus rifle strap, since they used an old surplus gas mask bag. (But that's probably crazy talk... :roll: )

J
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

Todd's strap is the right color, the right thickness, colored on both sides, and doesn't bleed and has a good buckle available. I haven't seen the TAG one in person though to comment on that o ne.