Venice Pier Scene Fedora Photo?(Raiders grey fed discussion)

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

Sergei wrote:Also, speaking about the Raider's costume designer, Debroah Noodlman-Landis, those were Red Wings not Alden 405's that Harrison was wearing. This was from a recent interivew just a couple of years ago where she insisted that Harrison was wearing Redwings to a staff member here. She was the production person on site - "she was there", therefore you should not be wearing 405's but Redwings, using the applied logic from the above post. Wink - we know Debroah was soooo wrong and she, was there.
I often wonder if she doesn't know or if it has been so long that she doesn't remember.
Kaleponi Craig
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kaleponi Craig »

Thanks, Canyon!
crazylegsmurphy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by crazylegsmurphy »

Hey,

Don't know if this helps or not, but I just adjusted a few of the levels in these pics. I did the same with a few of the darker scenes where we know Indy is wearing a brown Fedora for sure, and they clearly become a lighter brown.

These pics seem to indicate gray to me.

My personal opinion....

Having worked in film, as a make-up FX artist no less, I understand what lighting can do to color. Many times we would have to consult the lighting guys (not a technical term) to see if they were planning any special filters or anything for a particular scene.

There are times when a color you apply is no where near the color you get on film. With that said...to me, it doesn't look like these are brown fedoras.
Mattdeckard
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mattdeckard »

Okay, the hat is grey, though why are his eyes brown?
Serial Hero
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Serial Hero »

This weekend I popped in the DVDs to see if I could see anything new, and this is what I have (not that it means a whole lot, but here I go):

1. Indy wore a grey suite in LC, not navy. I don't know what I was thinking.

2. I still believe that is a brown hat in the Pan Am shot. I put the DVD on slow, where it advances the film one frame at a time. If you do this from were Indy steps onto the plane, it cuts to him coming up the stairs inside. You see a downward shot of the hat against a neutral/tan background. As he reaches the top of the stairs he gets the reflective light off of the green ceiling and you can see the hat transition from looking brown to grey. In one frame it actually looks half brown and half grey.

3. I couldn't tell about the hat at the end of the film. It could very well be grey. That would even fit with the story as he left his brown fed on the boat and had to get a new one when he got back to the States.

sorry for the long windedness,
SH
Last edited by Serial Hero on Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

There is the question of Why would Indy wear a gray fedora on the plane? Why would he pack more than one hat to go to Nepal? If he did wear a gray hat, what happened to it, and more importantly, what did he intend to do with it: lug it around the world with him?

I watched it this weekend and it looks gray to me, but I just can't imagine him packing more than one hat.
crazylegsmurphy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Fair enough...but if you watch the movies, you realize pretty quick that Indy seems to never really pack any of the things he wears.

Unless Short Round had a magical bag like the pockets of Guybrush Threepwood. :D

I would think, if I had to make it seem logical, that Indy's brown hat would look pretty horrible after the many years and he would carry a backup hat which he would wear for no other reason than his other....you know I have no idea what I am talking about! :shock:
Feraud
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Feraud »

Mattdeckard wrote:Okay, the hat is grey, though why are his eyes brown?
Uh-oh, here we go again... :lol: :lol:

Heminway Jones makes a good point about lugging an extra hat around the world..to match the extra suit you would be bringing with you just to wear on an airplane! :shock:

"Why bring it?", is exactly the question I asked myself when I saw Charlton Heston have a shave in Secret of the Incas.
"Did he bring it with him?"
"Did it belong to Robert Young?"

I work under the assumption that people dressed a particular way to do certain things. This is especially true in film. Whether it be to attend church, play sports, take a plane flight, or run around Nepal looking for 'worthless bronze medallions'.... :wink: These things take clothes, and a lot of 'em!
crazylegsmurphy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Of course!!

You know what it's like when you drive in a hot car for a long time, your back is all sweaty and wrinkled....I mean can you imagine Indy getting off the plane ready for adventure and having a serious case of sweaty back, that's just not cool! :D
Mattdeckard
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mattdeckard »

crazylegsmurphy wrote:Fair enough...but if you watch the movies, you realize pretty quick that Indy seems to never really pack any of the things he wears.

Unless Short Round had a magical bag like the pockets of Guybrush Threepwood. :D

I would think, if I had to make it seem logical, that Indy's brown hat would look pretty horrible after the many years and he would carry a backup hat which he would wear for no other reason than his other....you know I have no idea what I am talking about! :shock:
It's supposed to be the 1930's and a flight overseas, and who knows where he may have gone before meeting up with Marion. It's how you travel. Indy stood out like a sore thumb in his leather jacket on the Zepplin in LC and he would have stood out like a sore thumb in Raiders had he not dressed up a bit. I think the brown hat in the first movie was just a field hat and the grey one was his dress hat.

In the following movies they changed the recipe.

By the by, his suit's navy.

Flash Gordon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Flash Gordon »

Indy's wearing a gray hat on the plane.

The Nazi spy watching him over the top of the Life magazine is wearing a brown hat. Same plane, same lighting. One hat clearly gray. The other hat clearly brown.

A brown hat with a navy suit? Never!

(Also, look at the Nazi standing behing Indy in the Cairo scene with Beloq. It looks like he's wearing the same gray hat that Indy wears elsewhere in the film. I understand they did "pass the hat" between actors. Those Herbert Johnsons are expensive!)
IndianaGuybrush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaGuybrush »

You can wear a brown fedora with a navy suit if you accesorize correctly.
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

IndianaGuybrush wrote:You can wear a brown fedora with a navy suit if you accesorize correctly.
Uh Oh, you've been watching BRAVO again. :roll: :D
Feraud
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Feraud »

Hemingway Jones wrote:
IndianaGuybrush wrote:You can wear a brown fedora with a navy suit if you accesorize correctly.
Uh Oh, you've been watching BRAVO again. :roll: :D
Hold on now! I object to Indyphobia! :lol: By accessorize he means knife, whip and gun.... :wink:
IndianaGuybrush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaGuybrush »

LOL, I have to learn to check who's on before I go posting things like that :lol:

Then again maybe I've been spending too much time over at the FL :shock:
Mattdeckard
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mattdeckard »

IndianaGuybrush wrote:LOL, I have to learn to check who's on before I go posting things like that :lol:

Then again maybe I've been spending too much time over at the FL :shock:
isn't it nice to know you can wear brown and blue together in the Fedora Lounge.

ImageImage
Feraud
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Feraud »

Thanks for the picture Matt. I learn something new every day! :)
crazylegsmurphy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

To be fair...I still see people wearing Socks and sandals, mullets, metallica T-shirts, fanny packs, and such...so remember, just because you can, doesn't mean you should. :P
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

You just described my neighbor! :shock: :wink: Regards. Michaelson
Snakewhip_Sable
Scoundrel

Post by Snakewhip_Sable »

crazylegsmurphy wrote:To be fair...I still see people wearing Socks and sandals, mullets, metallica T-shirts, fanny packs, and such...so remember, just because you can, doesn't mean you should. :P
You just got back from Red Deer, didn't you?
Kaleponi Craig
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kaleponi Craig »

I think both hats are gray, Pan Am and Halls of Congress. Yes, he packed an extra hat on the plane. We don't know what happened to it OR the nice suit he was wearing. Lost somewhere en route, I imagine. And who cares, it's a movie! The only point I think I was originally trying to make is that a gray Indy fedora looks darn good!! :wink: