Adventruebilt Info

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Indiana Jimbo
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Adventruebilt Info

Post by Indiana Jimbo »

Hey,

Would it be possible for you guys to tell me how much an adventurebilt would set me back money-wise. Also, do you guys pecard your sweatband very often if at all. Thank you.
RJF
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by RJF »

Hi,
you should check out the website http://www.adventurebilthats.com/

and I wonder the same thing about the sweatband.

good luck

Randy
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Fedora also offer some sort of small discount for COW members? I seem to remember reading that in the post he made when he first made plans to start Adventurebilt hats. :junior: -IJ
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

Correct IJ. I don't think his website prices are indicitive of the discounted COW price. But if I'm wrong, please correct me, as I'd need change some info in my memory.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Yeah we should probably ask him. Darn it, where's Fedora when you've got a question? We REALLY need one of those batman searchlights. You know, those ones that shine up in the sky to tell him when he's needed. Except maybe this one could have an Adventurebilt hat instead of a bat as its logo. But I guess I'm just rambling.

If you really wanna find out Jimbo, just PM Fedora and ask him. Let us know what you find out. :junior: -IJ
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Yes he does have a pass word (I've used it)
It's "Fortune and Glory" not that you should have to worry he'll extend you the curtesy, as long as your a member of COW and you mention that fact.

As far as setting you back, it's worth it man, it'S worth it.
http://public.fotki.com/IndianaCroft/my ... n4311.html

Croft
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Oh I didn't know there was a password...that's good to know, Croft.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Just checked in and saw this topic. I do discount to COW members. Instead of the 250 listed on the website for beaver, I charge 225 if you are a member here. Fellow members here will always get a discount. Also, I have not had time to update the website, but I do not offer the blends now. Just pure beaver, or pure rabbit. The rabbit is 135 for COW members. regards, Fedora
Shiva
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Shiva »

I have a beaver Adventurebilt. Best hat I ever owned. BUY IT!!!!!!
Luisiana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Luisiana Jones »

I would, if my bank let me :wink:
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

I'm with Shiva! It's a wonderul hat. You will find yourself just holding it, looking at it from different angles. It is amazing! Look at this hat!
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Great lighting on that pic, Hemingway! And to answer your sweatband question, Jimbo, I put a VERY light dressing of Pecards on the sweatband of my AB and let it set overnight. Be careful not to get any on the felt or liner. I only did it once after I got it. I'm not sure if it really even needed it, but I thought I'd give it a whirl anyhow. I don't know that you'd even want to Pecard it too much, maybe once a year, especially after the warmer seasons where you sweat a lot... Does that help? Now go buy that Adventurebilt! :lol:

bink
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Is the pure beaver baby butt soft? I've felt some pure beavers before and man are they soft. Can't wait to order mine (when I get the funds together).
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Indiana Texas-girl wrote:Is the pure beaver baby butt soft? I've felt some pure beavers before and man are they soft. Can't wait to order mine (when I get the funds together).
Well, Not having a baby myself... Seriously, this hat is amazingly soft and smooth. It is softer than velvet, yet pliable. It is just amazing. I highly recommend this hat!
IndianaGuybrush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaGuybrush »

Hemingway Jones wrote: Well, Not having a baby myself... Seriously, this hat is amazingly soft and smooth. It is softer than velvet, yet pliable. It is just amazing. I highly recommend this hat!
Ditto what he said!

It is incredible felt ITG, and as sleek looking as it is feeling.

PS - Hem, nice use of the quote button :P
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

IndianaGuybrush wrote:
Hemingway Jones wrote: Well, Not having a baby myself... Seriously, this hat is amazingly soft and smooth. It is softer than velvet, yet pliable. It is just amazing. I highly recommend this hat!
Ditto what he said!

It is incredible felt ITG, and as sleek looking as it is feeling.

PS - Hem, nice use of the quote button :P
Why thank you, IndianaGuybrush, and there it is again! :D
Another thing about this hat: the more you bang it around, the better it looks.
Luisiana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Luisiana Jones »

lol, i really think that the AB pure beaver is the hat to get if you are thinking in buying a good hat :wink:
Indiana Jimbo
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Indiana Jimbo »

So in terms of duribility, what kind of felt?
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

ClintonHammond wrote:Exchanging emails with Fedora recenty he told me he ONLY does the pure beaver now... the blends, he was never happy with....
And pure rabbit:
Fedora wrote:... but I do not offer the blends now. Just pure beaver, or pure rabbit. The rabbit is 135 for COW members. regards, Fedora
:wink: :D
thunderquack
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by thunderquack »

Hope I dont sound too ignorant .... but whats the difference between pure beaver and oure rabbit?
thunderquack
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by thunderquack »

pure rabbit I meant not oure rabbit whatever that is
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

pure beaver is a denser, more water resistant, and all around more gorgous felt. Hats made in the '30's were almost always made of beaver, now, they're primarily made of rabbit. :junior: -IJ
thunderquack
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by thunderquack »

So the hat i got at Disney is most likely rabbit? {Please dont throw things at me! Its all i could afford at the time!! Im getting an Adventurebuilt soon, I promise}
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

thunderquack wrote:So the hat i got at Disney is most likely rabbit?
Most likely it's wool. Mine was when I went to Disney 12 years ago.
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

ClintonHammond wrote:"how much an adventurebilt would set me back"

Well, that info is on the web site, so why not look there and you'll find it?

:-)
With all due respect, Indiana Jimbo is new and may not have had the link to the website. :wink: Just bear in mind, that kind of reply might scare new people away.
IndianaGuybrush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaGuybrush »

Also, rabbit is not necessarily a bad felt! A rabbit felt hat can be very nice. It's just not up to the quality that a pure beaver or a beaver blend hat is. Wool felts on the other hand tend to be pretty nasty. The Dorfman you got from Disney was probably a wool felt hat, as mine was when I first got a disney fed 4 years ago.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

IndianaGuybrush wrote:Also, rabbit is not necessarily a bad felt! A rabbit felt hat can be very nice. It's just not up to the quality that a pure beaver or a beaver blend hat is.
Exactly. Rabbit hats aren't as good as a beaver, but "not as good as a beaver" doesn't mean its bad.

But I think the attraction of Fedora's hats (besides the fact that they're reputed to have THE BEST BLOCK on the market) is the outragously good deal for a beaver hat. There's only two other Indy hats that I know of that are made of Beaver: The Optimo, and the ######. The Optimo costs $400 and the ###### is around $1000. When you compare that to Fedora's $225 hat (if you're a COW member) that's a pretty good deal. But I'm preaching to the choir here, most of you here already know that.
:junior: -IJ
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

There's only two other Indy hats that I know of that are made of Beaver: The Optimo, and the ######. The Optimo costs $400 and the ###### is around $1000.

Close, but actually I think the pure beaver from Optimo is 750.00, and Charlie will sell you one for around 500.00, and up. High, but that is pretty indicative of the beaver hat market. I think Art gets 275.00 for his beaver, but don't quote me on that. He and I have the same philosophy. Make it affordable. I can charge less only because I don't have to invest in all of the extra equipment needed for binding edges, and the scores of different styled blocks used by a full service hatter. I mainly do Indy fedoras, and a few teardrop crowned vintage looking hats. But, no bound brims. I don't like em. :lol: To me, I make the only hat fit to wear, the Indy fedora. :lol: :wink: The other stuff does not interest me as far as hatmaking. regards, Fedora
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

First off I want to say hello to everyone. :D Second I want to dive in with some info on Fedora's rabbit fur. I just received my pure rabbit AB a week ago Saturday. Its my first real hat and I couldn't be happier. I got it open crown because I like to bash it myself. As for the felt itself, its very similar to my dad's Akubra Federation. However, the AB is quite a bit softer and maybe just a little smoother. The color is great and is pretty much spot on for what is seen in the movie. Judging by the pics I've seen it looks a little lighter than Fedora's beaver. For $135 you can't go wrong with the AB. Especially when you consider a Fed reg will run you around the same price once you pay the shipping. Well, enough talking, here's some pics. :D There the best I've got. I really need to join the modern world and get a digital camera :oops: Just for a color comparison thats a Authentic Brown Goat Wested.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v320/J_We ... ject8A.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/v320/J_We ... oject9.jpg
Luisiana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Luisiana Jones »

Looking good there J_Weaver, thats a nice hat you got! :wink:
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

J_Weaver wrote:First off I want to say hello to everyone. :D Second I want to dive in with some info on Fedora's rabbit fur. I just received my pure rabbit AB a week ago Saturday. Its my first real hat and I couldn't be happier. I got it open crown because I like to bash it myself. As for the felt itself, its very similar to my dad's Akubra Federation. However, the AB is quite a bit softer and maybe just a little smoother. The color is great and is pretty much spot on for what is seen in the movie. Judging by the pics I've seen it looks a little lighter than Fedora's beaver. For $135 you can't go wrong with the AB. Especially when you consider a Fed reg will run you around the same price once you pay the shipping. Well, enough talking, here's some pics. :D There the best I've got. I really need to join the modern world and get a digital camera :oops: Just for a color comparison thats a Authentic Brown Goat Wested.
Beautiful hat! I always wanted to see what the rabbit looked like and it looks great. They are great photos also. Where were they taken? -If you don't mind my asking.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

It's a beaut! Congrats on a nice looking rabbit! :wink:

bink
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Thanks guys! Hemingway Jones they were taken in the mountains near my home in southern WV. I like to spend all the time I can in the mountains. I feel sorry for you guys mired in the city. :wink: Here's a couple of pics to show you what I mean. :D

http://photobucket.com/albums/v320/J_We ... gect10.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/v320/J_We ... oject1.jpg
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

J_Weaver wrote:Thanks guys! Hemingway Jones they were taken in the mountains near my home in southern WV. I like to spend all the time I can in the mountains. I feel sorry for you guys mired in the city. :wink: Here's a couple of pics to show you what I mean. :D
Great pics! Beautiful stuff. But don't feel sorry for me. I may live in Boston, but it is only about an hour and a half to some of the finest wilderness in North America and I take full adventage. Someday I'll post some of my ice climbing and rock climbing pics, though I am not wearing my IndyGear! :D
Alabama Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Alabama Jones »

Snakes? more specifically rattlesnakes? :shock: :wink:

Nice lookin' pics.
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Yes rattlesnakes, very dangerous, you go first. :lol: The copperhead is the only other poisonous snake in my area. When out of a summer I have a pair of snake boots I wear. Snakes generally aren't agressive but no need to take any chances. I'm a cautious man. :wink:

Do you climb often Hemingway? I've been climbing for about 9 years. Although I just get to climb a few times a year. I've never done any ice climbing though. How close are you to Harvard? A close friend of mine is there now.
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

J_Weaver wrote:Do you climb often Hemingway? I've been climbing for about 9 years. Although I just get to climb a few times a year. I've never done any ice climbing though. How close are you to Harvard? A close friend of mine is there now.
Hey Weaver,
I don't climb as often as I used to. I used to climb four or five times a week and that is no exaggeration. That was four years ago. At that time, I was 155 lbs. and I climbed at a consistent 5.12 sport. I was leading hard 5.10s trad. Now I climb four or five times a year, almost exclusively trad, and at 5.8 and below, but I enjoy it so much more. I was obsessive, to say the least. After a serious illness and some injuries, I backed off. I have climbed all over, from Colorado to The Gunks in NY and all over New England. I still ice climb two or three times a season. We have awesome ice here in New Hampshire.

I live in Boston, so Harvard is just across the Charles. In fact, from my roofdeck, I can see the many steeples of Harvard U.
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Your a better climber than I'll ever be. I've never had much of a chance to try some of the harder routes. The rock formations in my area are pretty unique. All sandstone, mostly in horizonal layers. To safely climb many routes here you need a mix of iron and clean pro. Generally there are good hand holds but little place for cams, hex's, etc. I'll have to get you some pics. :D
Alabama Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Alabama Jones »

J_Weaver wrote:Yes rattlesnakes, very dangerous, you go first. :lol: ...
I'm a cautious man. :wink:
Ha! :D Excellent.

Yeah, pretty much what we got around here too (NC mountains) Coppers and Timber Rattlers.

Shivered just typing that. :shock:
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Don't forget the biggest of the rattlers...the Eastern Diamondback! :D They used to give me the shiver too but the more I see the in the wild the more interested I become in them. I've got a few pics of a Timber rattler I saw last summer. In a few of the pics you really have to look to see the snake.
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

The most dangerous snakes in Finland are vipers. They are the only ones that are poisonous.
rick5150
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by rick5150 »

I agree with Hemingway. NH has some of the finest wilderness in North America. The reality of it is, that it is not about who climbs the highest mountain or crosses the deepest river. It is about who gets out there and gets off their butts with their gear. Screen accurate or not. Adventure and beauty in nature are often where you take the time to find them.

Here is a very large photostitched picture I took at just after leaving the Greenleaf(?) hut while hiking Lafayette, Linclon & little Haystack. Absolutely breathtaking view.
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

5862x1265 pixels and 1221.67 KB? That's small.
Alabama Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Alabama Jones »

J_Weaver wrote:Don't forget the biggest of the rattlers...the Eastern Diamondback! :D They used to give me the shiver too but the more I see the in the wild the more interested I become in them. I've got a few pics of a Timber rattler I saw last summer. In a few of the pics you really have to look to see the snake.
:shock: I've seen them in Daytona. They get HUGE.

Yeah. thats the thing with Timbers, fr/iggin hard to see.

I never get used to seeing 'em. :( :oops:

----------------------------------------------------

They got vipers in Finland? :shock: I never would have guessed.
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Rick, your right, the most important thing is getting out, having a good time and enjoying the outdoors. I've always though that people who won't hike don't know what their missing. There's nothing like seeing a beautiful sunset from a mountain top or being out of a night and watcing a summer thunderstorm in the distance.
Alabama Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Alabama Jones »

rick5150 wrote: Here is a very large photostitched picture I took at just after leaving the Greenleaf(?) hut while hiking Lafayette, Linclon & little Haystack. Absolutely breathtaking view.
Beautiful pic. Looks alot like some of the scenery of the highlands along the NC/Tenn border. Are you anywhere near the Appalachian Trail up there?

I gotta get a scanner so I can post pics of some of Bama's adventures. 8)
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

This thread is getting a bit OT too.