Stetson "Sovereign"

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Dr. Jones Jr.
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Stetson "Sovereign"

Post by Dr. Jones Jr. »

Hey all, i was in Philadelphia this weekend and visited a hat shop just for fun. Found a pretty indyish looking hat, and picked it up, only cost me 60.
It has a leather sweatband, white silk liner, and says its a "Sovereign" by stetson. Its brownm pretty decent color, the band im guessing is about 1.5 inches wide, im not sure how high the crown is, but just messing around with it, i turned it a pinched it, and it looked Raider-ish. Does anyone know anything about this hat, im gonna steam it tomorrow, and redo the bash and dent. Id say its pretty good for an Indy-type hat, for under 100, strong felt too.
Thanx-
Chris
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

I don't know anything about the hat, but were you in "Hats In the Belfry" on South Street? They also have the Dorfman there, not to mention Viking horns, deerstalkers, Lincoln-style stovepipes, and spiked helmets!
Forrestal
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Forrestal »

I have a Sovereign. It is a nice piece of fur felt. Not an exact “Indy” hat by any means, but close. I had a hat manufacturer here in St. Louis put on a darker hatband. Not to “one-up” you but I got mine at the Stetson factory outlet in St. Joseph, Missouri for $22.00.
Regards,
Forrestal
Dr. Jones Jr.
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Dr. Jones Jr. »

Hemingway, i was on south street, and i was in hats in the belfry. I modified it today, and it looks pretty decent to a Raiders hat, ill prolly wear it until it gets to haggard to wear it, then ill go for the federation. it tapers a little bit, but i got it lookin good enff, so it doesnt bother me too much, and i turned it, and didnt bother moving the ribbon back to the right place, i think it looks better like just rag-tag lookin, and worn in and what not.
-Chris
IndyFrench
Writer of Things

Post by IndyFrench »

One of the hats I owned at one time was the Stetson "Indy" which on the inside was labeled the "Sovereign" due to its felt quality. This is likely the hat you found based on your description. A fine hat, but yet, it does have taper in the crown from the start and makes a great TOD hat over time - just watch out because the taper in these hats can get pretty bad if you're not careful.

I have a picture of my Stetson Indy here before I paid it forward to a young Indy fan - The Stetson is on the left with a terrible PB I on the right.

Mike
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

IndyFrench wrote: I have a picture of my Stetson Indy here before I paid it forward to a young Indy fan - The Stetson is on the left with a terrible PB I on the right.
You gave your hat away, too? Right on! I did that with my old DisneyFed. I don't think that PB looks so horrible. Why's it so horrible?

Regards,