fedora sizing ?'s

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Mat Cauthon
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

fedora sizing ?'s

Post by Mat Cauthon »

I measured my head and it came out to between 56.51 cm and 55.88 cm. The 55.88 cm was when I wraped the tape as tight as it would go around my head. So should I round the size to 56 cm or 57 cm. I really want to get this right the first time and I am never sure when it comes to measuring myself for clothing articals. The fed I am planing on purchasing is the Akubra Federation, if that makes a diffrence for what the size should be.

Brendon
Snakewhip_Sable
Scoundrel

Post by Snakewhip_Sable »

You don't really want your hat as tight as it will go around your head. If your hair grows any, your hat will feel too tight. You can always use 'spacers' or for a more permanent solution, the old lampshade trick, if it's too big when it arrives.

What are the sizes they offer around your measurement?
Mat Cauthon
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Mat Cauthon »

They offer a size 57 cm and a size 56 cm. Basicly they seem to offer 55 cm and up in 1 cm incraments.

Brendon
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

The lampshade trick could actually lead to premature taper. I measured my head and it was 58.7 CM, and most folks round UP at that point (7 3/8). I went DOWN to a 7 1/4 (58 CM) and after a bit of stretching, and with some time to conform to my head dimensions, it fits like a dream now.

Is Peters Bros. the only hatters that custom make hats to an individual's head size? If so, that's kind of sad. I would think more hatters would be interested in doing this for their customer's sake.

But I guess the bottom line is, if you want to feel SAFE, then round UP to the nearest size. There are plenty of ways of shrinking your sweatband a little to the point where it will fit right, without causing taper. There's also the padding technique, and if both are used together, they can produce favorable results.

Regards,
DanoSaurus
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by DanoSaurus »

Just to add to the confusion, it has been my experience (and I think some others' here too) that Akubras run big. My noggin measures in at 61cm but every Akubra I've had in that size has been too big, including a Fed Deluxe. I just ordered a couple of new lids, the Banjo Paterson and Traveller in size 60 and they fit much better, but even these are still a little loose. I could probably even wear a 59, even though my head is a 61! Maybe they are more accurate in smaller sizes. Anyone else run into this?

Also, it is my understanding that if you order from Hats Direct you can email Ron with your measurement and he'll measure the hat before it goes out to make sure it fits, since Akubra's sizing can be inconsistant.

Good Luck!
Luisiana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Luisiana Jones »

lol well mine sizes around 57 so i will ask for a 58, i think strider you should consider getting a 57, you dont want your hat to go down to your neck do you :wink:
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

Strider wrote:Is Peters Bros. the only hatters that custom make hats to an individual's head size? If so, that's kind of sad. I would think more hatters would be interested in doing this for their customer's sake.
No, Peters Bros is not the only hatter to do custom sizes. The Adventurebilt is a custom hat and Steve can do any custom size. I am exactly half way between a 7 1/2 and a 7 5/8. So if I want a hat that fits perfectly from Steve, I simply tell him that I need a 7 1/2 plus a 1/16.

Tada! Instead of a hat from some other hatter that is either a little too big, or a little too small, I get one that is just right. Add to this that it is the highest quality hat that most of us will ever see, in person, in our lifetimes and that it comes at a price that is almost at cost, why shop anywhere else.

There are several hats out there that make people happy. That is fine with me. But, a lot of people have been searching for the perfect Raiders fedora for years, and say that they finally ended that quest when they joined the AB club. Why shop anywhere else? Just get an adventurebilt and save yourself a bunch of money from upgrading from hat to hat to hat. I wish the AB would have been available when I was first looking to buy a fedora. Now, that I have the AB, I really don't wear the other hats that I own.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

You know, this is what I have run into with hats. I ordered a 7 1/4 PB years ago and it was actually a 7 1/8. I could not pull it down on my head. Joe Jr. sent me one that was a 7 3/8, and it fit perfectly!!! But, my head size is a 7 1/4.

When I got my first Federation , I ordered a size 58, and it was too big, which caused me to invent the lampshade trick.

My first Optimo, I ordered a 7 1/4, and it was too tight. My next 2, I ordered a 7 1/4 plus 1/16, and it fit perfectly.

I ordered several Kepplers. In a 7 1/4, and they fit perfectly.

I just got a HJ in a month ago, and it was ordered at a 58 or 7 1/4. It is too small. So, in an HJ, I take a 7 3/8.

But, I am a 7 1/4, going by head measurement. All of my 7 1/4 blocks, the new ones and the vintage ones all fit me perfectly.

Thanks for the kudos Bufflehead. I will always have these other guys beat on felt quality, sweat quality and the most unusual liner out there. :wink: And, I think my block shape is as Raiders as you can get. And, my price is ridiculously low when you price pure beaver hats from other folks. (all except Art who has the same philosophy as me on pricing hats) But, with that said, owning several different brands of hats has always been a weakness of mine. Sure, I have culled down to just mostly beaver felt now, as that is the best, but still own vintage hats and a couple of HJs. Fedora
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Well, one of the things with PB was that there never was a size tag in the hat. It gave it that custom feel but it made it difficult to compare sizes. My first PB was really really tight the second fit perfectly.

Feds, their 60's seem to fit just right for me.

Stetson, I can wear a 59 really easy.

It depends on who makes the hat.
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

The idea of hat sizes is that they should be uniform. The problem is that a lot of hats sold aren't really the size that they say they are. In a perfect world, a certain size hat should be the exact same size no matter who you buy it from.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Yeah, and the thing that always confused me is, you can go online and find hat charts that vary. I raised this question a couple of years ago. So, from some hatters, I would wear a 7 3/8 and other, as 7 1/4. I contribute this to the mad hatters syndrome. What else would, or could, explain it? Fedora
Mat Cauthon
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Mat Cauthon »

Ok so Akubras run Big? If they run big then shouldnt I round down to 56 instead of up to 57. So much info so little computing :(

Brendon
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

What I've always done to HatDirect is supply my actual head measurement, and ask Ron to find me a hat that has THOSE measurements, rather than supply him with a hat size. It's worked so far. Regards. Michaelson
indybill
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indybill »

I've seen a lot of conversation in this thread about hat size and head size,
but none about head shape. I've always been less than happy with the
way hats fit my head until I talked to Lee for a few minutes about head
shape. Turns out I have a long oval shaped head (just like HF by the
way :wink: ). Off the shelf hats tended to leave a gap large enough on the
sides to fit an index finger between the sweatband and my head but were
too tight front and back if I got one tight enough to stay on my head in a
stiff breeze. The 7 1/4 long oval that I recieved from Lee a while back
seems to have been just what I needed. It fits just right all the way
around but doesn't leave a red mark across my forehead from being too
snug there. So my question is this, are there other long oval heads out
there and which vendors are offering hats in long oval sizes? I'm
determined to never wear an ill fitting hat again now that I've got my head
shape figured out...just too much of a headache. :lol:

Regards,
Indybill
Luisiana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Luisiana Jones »

thanks for that infor Indy Bill head shape might be a thing to have in mind when ordering a hat :wink:
indybill
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indybill »

Pagey wrote:Steve can do a long oval for you.
That's great to know as I've had my eye on one of his pure beaver hats for
the not too far off future.

Regards,
Indybill
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

indybill wrote:
I've seen a lot of conversation in this thread about hat size and head size, but none about head shape. I've always been less than happy with the way hats fit my head until I talked to Lee for a few minutes about head shape. Turns out I have a long oval shaped head (just like HF by the
way ). Off the shelf hats tended to leave a gap large enough on the
sides to fit an index finger between the sweatband and my head but were
too tight front and back if I got one tight enough to stay on my head in a
stiff breeze. The 7 1/4 long oval that I recieved from Lee a while back
seems to have been just what I needed. It fits just right all the way
around but doesn't leave a red mark across my forehead from being too
snug there. So my question is this, are there other long oval heads out
there and which vendors are offering hats in long oval sizes? I'm
shape figured out...just too much of a headache.
To add to what Pagey said, I am also a long oval and Fedora has produced a beautiful long-oval 100% beaver Adventurebilt for me, which, as you know, I love dearly.
So, to answer your question:
are there other long oval heads out
there and which vendors are offering hats in long oval sizes?
Yes, there are: me and look no further than Fedora he will square you right away!
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Hemingway Jones wrote: Yes, there are: me and look no further than Fedora he will square you right away!
Then you'll be a squarehead! :lol: :lol: :lol: 8-[

bink
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

bink wrote:
Hemingway Jones wrote:

Yes, there are: me and look no further than Fedora he will square you right away!

Then you'll be a squarehead!
A long-oval square-head; that's oxymoronic! -and so am I! :lol:
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Pagey wrote:
Actually, I'm also a long oval but I'm having my AB reblocked as a regular oval as I find I get a better turned effect than with the long oval.
Who neds comfort!?
Suffering for your art, my friend! :wink: :D
IndianaGuybrush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaGuybrush »

I'm a 7 3/8 LO and I gotta tell you it makes all the difference in the world as to how the fedora fits. I used to wear 7 1/2 because the 3/8 never fit me right front to back (always felt too tight). The 7 1/2 was great front to back but left huge gaps on the side. When I switched to the 7 3/8 LO it was like having a switch go off, the hat just fit so well.

Although I will agree with Pagey, in that the distortion of the hat shape is what makes for a pronounced turn, and therefor the round oval hats work better than the long ovals for turning a hat.
Canadave
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Canadave »

indybill wrote:I...so my question is this, are there other long oval heads out there and which vendors are offering hats in long oval sizes? I'm
shape figured out...
You can also take an ill-fitting hat to a reputable hatter, and have it "ovalized".

David