TILLEY EXPERIMENT

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Oklahoma Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

TILLEY EXPERIMENT

Post by Oklahoma Jones »

Anybody tried dyeing a Tilley hat brown? I have one that has actually come to have a pretty good fedora crease in front, and it got me to thinking: if they won't make a brown one, why can't I dye one? SO, I am going to order one 2 sizes bigger than what I wear(to cover shrinkage factors), and see what I get. I will post pics if I get suitable result. Wish me luck!
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

It isn't really necessary to order it two sizes larger. All fedora's shrink, you just need to put them on a hat stretcher, and that'll increase their size. :junior: -IJ
Oklahoma Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Oklahoma Jones »

The Tilley hat says it does not shrink, but that is when you follow the washing instructions. Hot water will make it shrink(I have personal knowledge of this), so I am going to try with larger hat.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Good luck Oklahoma! Let us know how it turns out. Fedora
Bushman
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Bushman »

The all-cotton Tilley hat will shrink, even if you wash it in cold water. That's why Tilley recommends the old sailor's trick of stretching the hat over your knee after washing. That will keep the size correct, but the crown will get smaller. The stitching in the brim does slow down the shrinking of the brim, but does not eliminate it.

Tilley recommended ordering the original hats one size larger. I don't know what they recommend for their recent non-cotton hats.

Tilley used to offer the original "T-3" in brown. It was a lighter shade of brown, let's say "cocoa."

Bushman
Oklahoma Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Oklahoma Jones »

I have been sending them emails to see if they would make a dark brown Tilley combining the T3 brim with the LT6 crown, which would make a great 'INDYTILLEY', but alas, I have had no feedback from them. This is the hat I wear when I don't have a fedora on, and I think a hat like that that would be good business for Tilley, especially since they do the whole 'dimensional brim' thing with their hats. Heck, even Berkeley Hat Co. advertises their Tilleys using the 'Indiana Jones dimensional brim cut' as a selling point. Maybe some more of us could email if interested......
Oklahoma Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Oklahoma Jones »

Well, the experiment worked, but with one important finding. I actually dyed 2 different hats, one khaki, and one olive green. The olive green hat comes out much darker than the khaki, but they both look great. Rit dye in dark brown, fellas. AND, GET THE HATS 2 SIZES LARGER, BECAUSE THE WASHINGS IN HOT WATER DEFINITELY MAKE THE HAT SHRINK!!! I will try to post some pics......
Belloqsi_Blues
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Belloqsi_Blues »

Check out:

http://www.tilley.com/thumbnail.asp?gen ... oryId&id=1

Tilley now makes a brown (mocha) TH3 and TH5 out of hemp. I have a LT6 which served me well in Houston Texas last summer during a heat wave. I don't know how cool hemp is.

I just ordered an Akubra Traveller, because I don't want to bring my Federation on trips and risk loosing or smashing it. It was the last gift my father gave me before he passed away last year.
Snakewhip_Sable
Scoundrel

Post by Snakewhip_Sable »

My wool fedora is a Tilly. It was a dark chocolate brown when I got it (it still is on the underside of the brim and under the hatband), but it turned a cinnamon colour over years of daily wear.

They don't appear to offer them anymore.
Oklahoma Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Oklahoma Jones »

The T-% looks good in mocha, but T4 or T3 would be the best way to go.....so, anyone up for pestering Tilley to make a special hat for all of us? Anyone......Anyone....Bueller?
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

Looks like they've got some nice headwear.
If they can make this I'm sure they can make anything. ;)

Regards,
Swindy
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Their TH5 looks so much like the Driza-bone heavyweight, it's not funny! I wonder who's copying whom? :-k Regards. Michaelson
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

FYI! Tilley does now have mocha (brown) offerings in their lineup of 'hemp' hats! I have a 'hemp' T5! I consider this to be the perfect hat, because: I can wear it and look good...if I get frustrated, I can eat or smoke it, or if I am extremely frustrated, I could always take it appart srand by strand and re-strand it into a rope and hang myself :lol: ! Anyway, you might want to check these out before dying the canvas ones...just a thought. All Regards! W>
NormanF
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by NormanF »

My wool fedora is a Tilly. It was a dark chocolate brown when I got it (it still is on the underside of the brim and under the hatband), but it turned a cinnamon colour over years of daily wear.

Tilley reintroduced the fedora this year. Its USA-made of fur felt.

http://www.tilley.com/detail.asp?gender ... ductNo=TF1

They're offered in both black and tan. Has any one ordered one and what are their impressions to the quality, considering the Tilley name?
Last edited by NormanF on Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

NormanF wrote:[

Tilley reintroduced the fedora this year.
Yeah, and he posted that 1½ years ago.
NormanF
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by NormanF »

Yeah, and he posted that 1½ years ago.
That was then this is now. It says something that Tilley has brought it back. They could have looked for a Far Eastern firm to make their new hats. Its been awhile since I've seen a fedora made in the USA. I've ordered one and Tilley DOES offer a lifetime guarantee on ALL their hats, not just the fedora.
NormanF
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by NormanF »

I received the Tilley Fedora this afternoon and it fits snugly and comfortable. It looks well made and really can't be beat for the price. Plus, its made in the USA, something one can say of few apparel these days. Tilley is already known for its other hats that have made it world famous and they do stand behind this one as well.
Last edited by NormanF on Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

;0

I don't get to post that smilie very often. :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
NormanF
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by NormanF »

Michaelson wrote:;0

Regards! Michaelson
At the moment, I don't have a pic of me. But it does look good on Alex Tilley:

Its a100% fur felt USA made fedora.
NormanF
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by NormanF »

Michaelson wrote:;0

Regards! Michaelson
An informative ad on the new Tilley Fedora. This is NOT a classic dress hat. Its more of an adventure hat like the Akubra. But travel hats is what Tilley is known for around the world.

It even comes with a four (yes, that's correct four) page owner's manual!
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

NormanF wrote:I received the Tilley Fedora this afternoon and it fits snugly and comfortable. It looks well made and really can't be beat for the price. Plus, its made in the USA, something one can say of few apparel these days. Tilley is already known for its other hats that have made it world famous and they do stand behind this one as well.
:shock: ......Ummmmm...... :-k .......Tilley is a Canadian company and all of their other hats are made in Canada. Why would they make this one hat in the USA?
NormanF
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by NormanF »

Bufflehead Jones wrote::shock: ......Ummmmm...... :-k .......Tilley is a Canadian company and all of their other hats are made in Canada. Why would they make this one hat in the USA?
I guess they couldn't find a Canadian hat-maker that would make a quality fur felt hat for them. So they found one in the Bollman Company in the USA. All their other hats are made in Canada. They do stand behind their products and provide top notch customer service. People who buy a Tilley usually end up buying other stuff from them. :wink: