What not to do with your gloves

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

What not to do with your gloves

Post by Indiana Croft »

I had a pair of the most softest Wells Lamont glove, they were broken in so nice had a greart Indy look to em.

Then they got soaked, this in it's self is no big deal, every thing drys out right. Well I don't know what possed me, but I stuck in the microwave form a minute to try and dry them out. Came back from walking the dog and the ends of some fingers were curled in like claws and felt like they were solid. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

I'm going to try and soak them and see if I can soften them up and stuff those fingers with something to help open them up.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreaciated.
Croft
Mola Ram
Vendor

Post by Mola Ram »

:?
sorry, but that just seems so, i dont know. Leather and water + heat = tons of shrinkage.
Adam
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

don't mean to wine (a nice Chardanaie perhaps)
IndianaCollins
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndianaCollins »

yeah, don't mess with Georgia red clay... Hard to come out, unless there's some way to wash em really good!
IndianaJames
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaJames »

SOAK them with pecards!! What you did was remove the fats and such from the leather, you need to put it back in. They wont be as soft as they were originally, but it should help.
Let the pecards soak in overnight, and re-apply as many times as it takes, until the gloves wont soak up any more pecards.

Good luck!

James
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

When I got dressed for our friends wedding... I put everything on and put my Wells Lamont Gloves in my back pocket. Not a good fashion statment.
Neolithic
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Neolithic »

Croft, that's really crazy. I hope you can get them back to working order. I can't imagine what they smelt like when you took them out. :shock:
Good luck with the Pecards treatment. :tup:
Renderking Fisk wrote:When I got dressed for our friends wedding... I put everything on and put my Wells Lamont Gloves in my back pocket. Not a good fashion statment.
You must have been the best dressed gardener there. 8)
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

Sorry, but it sounds like you cooked the leather. They're probably "well done" and hard as a rock. There is no repair for that.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

Waaaaaaaaaaaa (again) (but not as long)

I'll try the Pecards, hadn't I thought of that, would have doing that while I was Pecarding a new pair (not the same but close)

I'll let ya guys and gals know.
Croft
IndianaGuybrush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaGuybrush »

yeah man I'm pretty sure those babies is cooked

check please
IndianaJames
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaJames »

What model Wells were they, if it does not work out for you, let me know your size, I might have another pair I can send you. They are no 1123's but they would work!!

I J
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

Neolithic wrote: You must have been the best dressed gardener there. 8)
Brand new slacks, shirt, shocks, Wested Jacket and Akubra/Adventurebult fedora... I was pretty sharp. The gloves through the look off.
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

Croft, keep your Adventurebilt out of the oven! :D
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

My favorite children's book:

"POP! Goes the Hampster, and Other Fun Microwave Games."

Just keep your clothes out of the nuker! :wink:

bink
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

Yea they may be gonners but I have soaked w/Pecards right now and we'll see how the turn out.

Hemingway Jones
Croft, keep your Adventurebilt out of the oven!
You got that right friend, I've been getting mucho compliments from my buddies at work, they like this one.

Indiana James wrote:
What model Wells were they, if it does not work out for you, let me know your size, I might have another pair I can send you. They are no 1123's but they would work!!
Not sure which style, I wanna say 1150's. I went to the Walmart Mens section and picked up a size med. they fit a little snug but felt better once I Pecarded them, you just have to pray they have some of the old stock because the ones I saw the other day had this nasty pc of leather across the palm.
My journeys to day is to see if I can find a size Lg. Thats the size of my old pair, if I can find a pair of soft ones I'll pick em up price is about 8. dollars and change.
Croft
Nicht Storen
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Nicht Storen »

If they are indeed cooked you might want to try some A1 and have a meal. :lol:
Michigan Smith
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Michigan Smith »

I did the same thing to a belt, put it in boiling water to try and get some of the excess oil out (it was oil tanned). Shrunk and hardened sumthin' terrible, soaked it with Pecards to no avail. You gloves are probably goners, the leather will not have shrunk equally everywhere on the love and will not stretch back out equally, not to mention the damage to the stitching.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Wish I had seen this before this morning. Pecarding was not the answer, but oh well, to late now..... :( You should have referred to the old FAQ on care of the gear on the main page. It's all covered there. Regards. Michaelson
rick5150
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by rick5150 »

I wear gloves all year long. Summer while doing yardwork, hiking (one fall on a bunch of rocks can ruin your hands pretty good) and of course, in winter. Here is something else you should never do with leather gloves.

Do NOT use them to spread salt or calcium chloride on your driveway. I did that and the glove shriveled up like a shrunken head the next day. I had a normal sized right-hand glove and a GI Joe sized left-handed glove :?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Now THAT'S in interesting mental image, Rick! :lol: Regards. Michaelson
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Did they look like carnie hands? :lol:
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

Michealson wrote:
Wish I had seen this before this morning. Pecarding was not the answer, but oh well, to late now..... You should have referred to the old FAQ on care of the gear on the main page. It's all covered there. Regards. Michaelson
I looked around in the FAQ but there was a lot there about gloves, do you no which thread I should search, I'm not giving up yet.
Looked through 3 Walmarts to no avail, all I found was the style with the reinforced palm.
Croft
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

It's it's in the gear section, in 'other'. Scroll down to care for Wells Lamont gloves.

I can tell you, since I wrote the original FAQ....what you should have done was put your gloves on your hands (wrinkles and all) and slowly wash them under warm water with a soap like Lava. The pumice will help remove any bad dirt, and the water slowly rehydrates the leather. Remove the gloves and wring them completely out, then put them back on your hands. You then apply lanolin (you find this at any auto parts store. It's usually used for leather seat covers) and rub it into the gloves like you were rubbing lotion on your hands. This replaces the lost moisture that is suspended in the leather. Remove the gloves and hang them with clothes pins to a clothes line or like location until they completely air dry...usually overnight. The gloves will be reshaped, rehydrated, and ready to go again. I've done this for years with my gloves, and with regular practice extends the life of actual work gloves by years.

The problem you have now is that you've applied a heavy coating of Pecards, which contains bees wax. Your gloves will become rehydrated, but will be tacky as all get out. You'll have problems getting that to go away, if ever.

Regards. Michaelson
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

Thanks Michaelson, we'll have to see how it goes, I've Pecarded them in the past and once they dried I sorta rubbed fine sand all over them to get that tackyness out.

Thanks for you in put, maybe I should cook them again in the mic, then use your method. Just kidding.
Croft
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

If served with brown gravy, they're not to bad fixed that way. :-k :lol: Best of luck!! High regards. Michaelson
K on the run
Vendor

Post by K on the run »

Well Indiana Croft, you've discovered a new and improved way of shrinking heads.
The head hunters used to fill the head (only the skin) with hot stones.
The extreme heat would make the skin shrink.
When the head was to small for stones they would use hot sand instead.
If only the microwave had existed back then, how easy the life of a head hunter would have been.

I to tried to dry my gloves, only I used a regular oven,
the result was newer the less identical. A pair of birdclaws,
unwilling to submit to any treatment what so ever.
Sorry but I think they're gone.
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

Do let us know how this turns out. We're pulling for you.

Regards,
thunderquack
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by thunderquack »

Ive done the same thing before but didnt use the microwave to dry them. Where I work is absolutley filthy , and a pair of tan gloves turn black fast. I use the hand soap we have {with scrubbers} inside and out of the gloves, and scrub till 99% of the black is gone. I usually wring them out and let them air dry. Afterwards, I give them a nice coating of mink oil cause Pecards is as scarce as hens teeth around here. My gloves are as soft as the day i bought them after that.
IndianaJames
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaJames »

In this case It seems there is more than one way to "skin a cat"....

-I J :lol:
thunderquack
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by thunderquack »

here kitty kitty kitty
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana Croft »

There dead, man I'm gonna miss those gloves.
Waaa one last time
Croft
Luisiana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Luisiana Jones »

Really sorry man, hope you get a pair of wells Lamont soon :roll:
IndianaJames
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaJames »

If you cant find another pair, I just did. They are 1130's, they do not have a reinforced palm, and the cuff trim is not cloth, its leather. YOu can have them for $12 + a few bucks for shipping. Size large.

Lemme know

James