Wested Horsehide?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Wested Horsehide?

Post by Michaelson »

So, have any of the HH jackets been showing up yet? I haven't read or heard of any being reported on lately. What's the current scoop? Inquiring minds want to know! Regards. Michaelson
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Ooooh, yes! I want to know, too! If I ever save up for another Wested, it'll be a horsehide, so I'm also interested in what current HH owners think.

bink
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Michaelson...I think I was one of the first to order (last summer)...still having a wonderfull time with it (in, fact it is the jacket of choice today and was yesterday -- wearing it with my GHIJBrown Fedora)! Really becoming an old friend by now! Showing just a bit more signs of natural distressing -- great jacket (especially for the price)! All Regards! W>
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

True, you were, but I haven't seen anyone lately make any posts about the current hides or availability.

Like bink, I TOO am interested, as _ and I talked to Peter YEARS ago about offering jackets in horsehide, and now that it's being done, I'm hoping to get one in the near future, but want to hear more on how they're coming out. Last I heard, they were having problems getting good hides. Has this been solved, or what? Regards. Michaelson
JerseyJones
Vendor

Post by JerseyJones »

Hi Mark,

Their horsehide is wonderful ! I had my custom 3/4 done in it and as promised I will put up pix later on so you can see the whole she-bang.

Ken
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Good deal! Post 'em when you get a chance, JJ!! Regards. Michaelson
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Yeah Michaelson, I caught the drift of your post (inquiring about newer hh's), but thought I would just respond w/update on wear -- that is why I posted! This is truly a great jacket -- I really think it is every bit as good as the HH Lost World's Ryder Jacket I own -- lighter than the Ryder -- LW's really uses heavy gage hides -- but it is very strong -- very giving -- drapes supberbly and as mentioned, is dressing on it's own quite nicely! I really think it is the 'best-of-the-best' for Wested Indy-style jackets! Would really love to have one of Peter/Jerry's James Bond (Tomorrow Never Dies) jackets done in their HH! I don't think anyone would go wrong w/HH from Wested (again, don't know about current hide shipments at Wested as I have not conversed w/them since I got my last jacket -- Black Goat -- Raider w/gussets). Sorry, I don't know more about current hide statis! All Regards! W>

ps: note from a post you made in 'Fedora' section that you were a Classical Organist (Major in Performance) ...wow, small world -- I was performance major -- Clasical Piano! Oh well ...long time ago. Cheers. W>
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

...that should be 'distressing' not, 'dressing'! My name should be 'typo-man'! W>
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Your input is MOST welcome, W! Don't misunderstand my inquiry. If the quality has remained the same as what you received, then all is well with the world. :wink:

Yep, a lot of good our past 'practices' have supplied us, has it? At least we can play 'name that tune' with the best of 'em, can't we? :wink: Well, as time allows, I still have my ragtime to keep me warm....I LOVE Scott Joplin! Keeps my fingers from locking up... :roll:

Was just informed by daughter number 1, (D.Jones here at the forum) that I'm to play her postlude for her wedding in September. Anybody got a spare copy of Marcello's 'Psalm 19- The Heaven's Declare'? I haven't seen MINE in YEARS! :shock:

Regards. Michaelson
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I knew it. All I have to do is post 'horsehide', and _ rises from the dead! :shock: :D :wink: Regards. Michaelson
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

"I taunt you a second time!" How's that? :D :wink: Regards. Michaelson
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Depends. If Sergei is around, I believe we can post the whole thing....not sure if Mike's around though. 8-[ :wink: (just kidding Mike) Regards. Michaelson
Bjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bjones »

I am patiently awaiting my TOD HH. Wested has had some issues with getting quality hides delivered. I placed my order back on Nov. 11th and I don't yet have a ship date. I have been in weekly contact with them on their hide problems. Peter told me before X-mas he had been checking out several sources for hides and had not found anything acceptable. Gerry informed me they were supposed to have a new batch in last Tuesday, but that was delayed until late this week. I have emailed Gerry to let me know when he recieves his shipment of HH and when he expects to have my order complete. They have been pretty good at replying to my emails and keeping me updated on their situation. I was considering switching to another hide early on, but posts like WConley's have kept me on the right track :tup: (Just gotta hang in there a few more weeks ](*,) :wink: ).

I will definately post a full report with pics immediately when I get my jacket. I am estimating 2 weeks plus ship time (3-4 days optimal) from the end of this week (pending Wested has recieved a good batch of HH). I'll post any updates here when I get them.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

That's what I was wanting to know, BJones!! Thank you VERY much, and please, keep us in the loop!!! High regards. Michaelson

p.s. Yep, _, you need to see more of the light of day. By the way, did you see your shadow? 6 more weeks of winter...right? :cry: :wink:
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

I know the waiting is tough...but, the great thing about Wested -- they will not sell inferior products -- so it will be worth it...Glad to have the update -- now, I can ponder and ponder longer on the JBond-style jacket! Saw it again this past weekend -- TNT was running the movie three different times! Tuned in the first time just to see the jacket -- then, as usual, got hooked on the whole movie (happened again, on the Saturday showing), but did bail out after the opening scenes on Sunday! Great looking jacket and Bond gives it a pretty good workout. Seems, in movies -- all Wested's get the 'ol hit the ground trick(s)!' Regards to all! W>

ps: Michaelson ..re: I haven't played for years, but occassionally am asked to sit in with a band (here and there)...seems the feeling and sytling never goes away, but boy those scales can be rough sometimes -- think it's some kind of carple issue w/using the computer too much. W>
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Yep. The old head is clicking away, but the hands are going 'you want me to do WHAT??!! :shock: :wink: Regards. Michaelson
JerseyJones
Vendor

Post by JerseyJones »

_ wrote:
Michaelson wrote:Depends. If Sergei is around, I believe we can post the whole thing....not sure if Mike's around though. 8-[ :wink: (just kidding Mike) Regards. Michaelson
Understood. The only reason I mention it is that it is the only part which I recall overtly refers to "leather" and "whips" which would make it even remotely "on-topic".

Ok - back to my hole! (grin)
Hey _ !

Still loving the PBBM which is proudly displayed in my "lounge" and worn often.

As for the Wested HH, its excellent. Its a $1000 jacket for less than half of that.

The look is a hybrid Indy with RAF WWII flight jacket. Very smooth front, scalloped pockets.

Pix 2 Nite !

Ken
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

I also have been looking into getting a HH Wested, I love both my A-2's and HH is just a wonderful, tough, and rugged leather, perfect for an Indy jacket. Hey you gearheads out there with a HH Wested, let's see some pics!!!
Bjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bjones »

Michaelson wrote:That's what I was wanting to know, BJones!! Thank you VERY much, and please, keep us in the loop!!! High regards. Michaelson
Glad to be of some help. Wested usually responds to my emails in 2-3 days, so I'm gonna be on the lookout in the morning. Further details to follow.....
Bjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bjones »

Bogie1943 wrote:I also have been looking into getting a HH Wested, I love both my A-2's and HH is just a wonderful, tough, and rugged leather, perfect for an Indy jacket. Hey you gearheads out there with a HH Wested, let's see some pics!!!
You can find a pic of rob Irwin's here:

http://www.indygear.com/forum/viewtopic ... 4ad652d707

Its the one I have been drooling over for 2.5 months 8-[
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

_ wrote:Now, this site still blocks most of the text from the "Castle Anthrax" scenes - right? (grin)
http://www.intriguing.com/mp/_scripts/anthrax.asp
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:tup: :wink: Regards. Michaelson
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Bjones wrote:
Michaelson wrote:That's what I was wanting to know, BJones!! Thank you VERY much, and please, keep us in the loop!!! High regards. Michaelson
Glad to be of some help. Wested usually responds to my emails in 2-3 days, so I'm gonna be on the lookout in the morning. Further details to follow.....
Glad you're hanging tough, Bjones - and I hope you get what you're looking for. I remember you ordered it just before I dissappeared about a month and a half ago...hopefully your wait will not be much longer.

Oh, and lest we forget the rules...PICS when you do! Can't wait!

J
Bjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bjones »

It hasn't been easy Jerry, hopefully no isues with fit-it would break my heart if I had to send it back....and pics will be no problem...got a digital camera for X-mas :D
Bjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bjones »

Just got an email from Peter....another batch of horsehide rejected (this one was apparantly heavily scarred/blemished). He didn't mention when he might have more in, but my fear is that another source may have to be found, which could take time. Not sure if he would try to get another batch from the same supplier.

Again I'll keep the gang posted. I think Jersey Jones used up all the good horse :lol: hide with his custom long Indy.
JerseyJones
Vendor

Post by JerseyJones »

Bjones wrote:Just got an email from Peter....another batch of horsehide rejected (this one was apparantly heavily scarred/blemished). He didn't mention when he might have more in, but my fear is that another source may have to be found, which could take time. Not sure if he would try to get another batch from the same supplier.

Again I'll keep the gang posted. I think Jersey Jones used up all the good horse :lol: hide with his custom long Indy.
OH !

So THAT's how its going to be, eh ? I quote the film " A Christmas Story" : " You used up all the glue ON PURPOSE !"

Truth is that is in part why mine took so long to get. The horsehide was not adequate and at one point Peter even asked if I wanted to use Goat or Cow instead of waiting. My advice: if you can wait for it, do so. It's worth it.

Ken
Bjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bjones »

LOL Jersey...yeah thats about right..."on PURPOSE". I knew you were plundering my order! :lol:

Peter and Gerry both have continually asked me in every email if I wanted to switch to cowhide, and I just say no, I'll wait. I wonder what the record is for longest order? (besides Jersey-that custom beauty doesnt count! :notworthy: )

Anyways, I'm sticking to my guns even more now that I saw the long Indy. And besides, horsehide is what I ordered, thats what I'm gonna get.
Bjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bjones »

Update: Peter had recieved some black HH a few days back and had that supplier check if they had any brown. Got an email today----No luck yet.
Rob
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Rob »

I'm curious to know when they will perhaps do an authentic colour HH.

As you guys know, I was one of the first - and possibly the first to get a HH - and it is it's own sort of unique colour, lots of red undercurrents which are gorgeous.

Basically I'm wondering if my jacket has become a collector's item yet, once Wested starts offering the more standard colours in HH.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

I just ordered a Wested horsehide Last Crusade jacket (with screen-accurate storm flap), and I'm really looking forward to it. Part of the reason I ordered it now is because I don't know how long it will take to manufacture and ship out, so I'm prepared for a good 2-month wait, if necessary. I'd like to wear it to the premiere of Episode III.

P.S.- Nice to have the board up again!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Looking forward hearing your review when it arrives! Has he received better horsehide since the big 'break down' of the site? I know he was having a fit trying to source quality hide. Regards. Michaelson
Bjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bjones »

Michaelson wrote:Looking forward hearing your review when it arrives! Has he received better horsehide since the big 'break down' of the site? I know he was having a fit trying to source quality hide. Regards. Michaelson
Wow...good to be back online....

Wested emailed me last wednesday that they were expecting another shipment by the end of the week. I emailed them yesterday to confirm their delivery and have not heard back yet. Hopefully they finally have it. [-o< Next friday I hit the 3 month mark...
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

I hope they have received suitable hides. I'm actually waiting for two jackets now, mine and Cyndi's (my fiancee, http://www.legacy.com/macon/Celebration ... ID=3211158 ). I ordered her jacket in early January in hopes that it might be here by her birthday (yesterday), but somehow it has been delayed. Peter was nice enough to write to me personally today, and he said that the problem is being resolved. What a great guy! :D

-Dale
Last edited by whipwarrior on Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bjones »

latest breaking news: No horsehide yet. Wait another week. I'm getting emails from Gemma(?) now.
Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jess »

Michaelson wrote:Yep. The old head is clicking away, but the hands are going 'you want me to do WHAT??!! :shock: :wink: Regards. Michaelson
Ahem ... :roll: HH is the next jacket on my list, so I'm anxious to hear when Peter has a reliable hide source.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Apparently, the Jesshide jacket was far too unreliable. :wink:

bink
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

In YOUR case, Jess, I was talking about neck wringing..... 8) :wink: Regards. Michaelson
Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jess »

binkmeisterRick wrote:Apparently, the Jesshide jacket was far too unreliable. :wink:

bink
That's True, but the natural distressing with caffiene more than makes up for it. :wink:

Gee thanks Michaelson, can't you just feel the love in this place
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I was referring to bink. Who were YOU talking about? :shock: 8) :wink: Regards. Michaelson
Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jess »

Yeah, I was talkin about Bink too ... :oops: :-$
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Yeah, me, too.. I was talkin' about- :shock: --HEY!!!!

What where we talking about again?
:?
bink
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Horse's something or other, as I recall.... :-k 8-[ Regards. Michaelson
Adventure Lad
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Adventure Lad »

Hi there COW members.
Just thought I'd take this opportunity to say howdy to you all as this is my first post.
I think I have the jacket your talking about. I got it from Wested in september, when not only did I find out they existed, but that they're only 15 minutes from where I work! Twas like a dream come true :P
Anyway, hope Bjones doesnt mind, but I thought I'd post some pics of mine. Theyre not great as my cameras pretty crappy.

Bjones, I'm sure you'll be happy with your jacket when you get it. I personnaly think its the best skin wested do. The lambskin just didnt look right when its brand new. The horse looks like its allready seen some adventure.

Tis a pleasure to be here! :D

Adventure Lad
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Welcome to the madness, AvL!!!! High regards! Michaelson
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

That jacket is SWEET! :D
Lemon
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Lemon »

Adventure Lad wrote: I personnaly think its the best skin wested do. The lambskin just didnt look right when its brand new. The horse looks like its allready seen some adventure.
Welcome Adventure Lad! That is a very sweet jacket. Would you say the horsehide was thicker than the other hides Wested offers?

-Lemon
IndianaGuybrush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaGuybrush »

Wow that jacket is pretty amazing... it almost looks like predistressed cowhide, but the distressing pattern isn't as regular.... You've got a real winner there.
Bjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bjones »

Adventure Lad,

Of course I don't mind if you post your pics! All the better. Very interesting pics....the only other folks I know of here at COW that have HH jackets (Jersey Jones, Rob Irwin, and WConly) all have jackets with a deep reddish/russet undertone to them (especially apparant in Jersey Jones' custom 3/4 Indy). Yours looks alot like distresssed cowhide-very broken in, faded etc. Although different than what I've seen, still a very nice look.

With Peter trying to find a HH source, I wonder what the hide will look like-different sources, batches etc could all look different. Hopefully only another week or two and I'll find out.

Oh and Welcome!
Adventure Lad
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Adventure Lad »

Lemon wrote:
Welcome Adventure Lad! That is a very sweet jacket. Would you say the horsehide was thicker than the other hides Wested offers?

-Lemon
The range Peter had in store when I was there included the lambskin, a goatskin (which was a very redish brown colour), the horseskin and a black one, not sure what skin that was. If i remember rightly the black and the goatskin were the thickest. I found the horse had just the right thickness/weight to it. Although to be honest I was paying much attention to the weight, I knew I wanted it as soon as I saw it.
I asked Peter if it was predistressed but he told me it was just the natural pattern of the hide. I should also mention that the service at Wested was first class!

Thanks for the welcome. :D

Adventure Lad
rick5150
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by rick5150 »

Wow, that is interesting. Usually the horsehide has the reddish color to it. Yours does not look red at all though. There were a few other Wested horsehides that I saw pictures of that were more reddish. Peter must be going crazy trying to get the hides to be consistent.