Trim fit Indy pants

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Havana
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Trim fit Indy pants

Post by Havana »

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could please recommend some Indy-type pants (pleated or not) in a trimmer fit. All of the pants I've found fit like potato sacks. I'm just not a fan of the baggy seats and thighs that I find in most khakis these days. I do prefer pocket flaps if I can get them. I'm not skinny but have an average build similar to H. Ford. I try to stay in shape and these baggy pants make me look 10 lbs heavier and much more sedintary. I just want something with a nice fit for an average build guy on a reasonable budget.
Feraud
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Feraud »

Flat front pants should look better on you if you want a slimmer effect. I too have noticed that the pleated pants will make an average build look heavier.

Just a couple of weeks ago I found khaki's that I fell in love with. They have a great color and flaps on the back pocket! My wife could not understand why I was so thrilled with 'em.

I believe they were Dockers brand "Authentic Khaki's". I could take a pic or two to show you how they look if you want.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

The current plain front LL Bean khaki's are a good choice. They come with flaps on the back pocket, and though not totally correct color wise, they're a decent pair of non-baggy Indy like trousers. I'm wearing mine today, and have been very pleased with them. Had to have a watch pocket installed, but other than that, if you don't CARRY a pocketwatch, I think you'll be pleased. Regards. Michaelson
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

Michaelson wrote:
The current plain front LL Bean khaki's are a good choice. They come with flaps on the back pocket, and though not totally correct color wise, they're a decent pair of non-baggy Indy like trousers. I'm wearing mine today, and have been very pleased with them. Had to have a watch pocket installed, but other than that, if you don't CARRY a pocketwatch, I think you'll be pleased. Regards. Michaelson
Michaelson, I have the same pants on today also, only mine have pleats. I slip my pocketwatch into the change pocket. Is your pair lacking the change pocket or is a pocketwatch pocket something more specific?

As for the pants that Michaelson recomended; they are awesome. They are made from a great material and fit well. I think I have five or six pairs in all sorts of colors.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

I also have a pair of the trousers Michaelson and Hemingway are touting. One pair has the front pleats, the other does not. They are comfortable, look good, fit well, and I got mine FAR less than those two guys. I paid $3.50 each for them at the Goodwill. Seek and ye shall find. \:D/

As for the pocket watch poclet, well, I just use a vest pocket. :wink:

bink
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Actually, what THEY call a 'change pocket' is a small pocket INSIDE my right pocket. Not a watch pocket in MY mind. No, mine do not have the old separate change pocket on the front (like the plain fronts USED to have), and the pleated fronts never HAVE had the change pocket on the front. I have a special 3 inch by 3 inch pocket installed on the right front of my trousers by a local seamstress, so I can carry as large a pocketwatch as I want. Regards. Michaelson
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Is that an 18s in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?
:shock:

bink
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

FAR less than those two guys. I paid $3.50 each for them at the Goodwill. Seek and ye shall find.
True, bink, but mine have been worn only by me and they do not smell like moth balls! :P
Michaelson wrote:
Actually, what THEY call a 'change pocket' is a small pocket INSIDE my right pocket. Not a watch pocket in MY mind. No, mine do not have the old separate change pocket on the front (like the plain fronts USED to have), and the pleated fronts never HAVE had the change pocket on the front. I have a special 3 inch by 3 inch pocket installed on the right front of my trousers by a local seamstress, so I can carry as large a pocketwatch as I want. Regards. Michaelson
OH, yes, that little slit pocket up by the waist. I forgot about that. The older LL BEan khakis had those, but, you're right, I haven't seen them in a while.
Still, dress chinos are great pants and worth every cent at $45!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

The ones with the small slit pockets could JUST hold a 16s watch, but just barely. It was better for a 12s. 18s? Pretty tough to do. That's why I opt for a larger pocket now, and just have them installed. Regards. Michaelson
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Hemingway Jones wrote:
True, bink, but mine have been worn only by me and they do not smell like moth balls! :P [/quote]

What, are you saying a moth wore them before me? :shock: (Mods, if that's pushing the envelope, please feel free to edit!)

That's why I had the pants CLEANED before wearing them. DUH! :lol: Hey, Jerry, back me up here. Budget Indys unite!

bink
Tristan
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Tristan »

Havana, the L.L. bean chinos in classic fit with a flat front should be a good choice for a trim fit. I have both classic fit and natural fit L.L. bean chinos and the classic fit are definitely less baggy.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Those are the ones we're talking about, Tristan. Great pants, aren't they? Regards. Michaelson
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

I had to take my NH pants in to be taken in because of the very reason you mentioned, Havana. I'm more concerned with screen accuracy and it seemed everything else but the fit was correct.
Now they look 10 times better and correct to the screen. Makes all the other gear look better when it's all correct.

Instead of looking around for another similar pair, why not take them to a tailor and have them taken in. It's cheap and you get what you want in the end.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

agent5 wrote:Instead of looking around for another similar pair, why not take them to a tailor and have them taken in. It's cheap and you get what you want in the end.
So to speak. :roll: I've saved a good deal of money by finding like new garments at the Goodwill and having them altered to fit better. More often than not, I still save money against having bought them new! I took the vintage military trousers I got from AntiquityCollector to get taken in because they were a bit too baggy for me and it helped tremendously.

bink
Sheffield Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Sheffield Jones »

Bink Wrote:
Budget Indys unite!
I'm with you all the way.
I found two pairs of the LL Bean pants at a local thrift store for $10.00 each,and on the day I decided to buy them they were having a half price sale so I ended up with the two pair for the price of one. :D
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

After all this talk of pants.... :shock: I'm wearing a pair of my L.L. Beans today. They really are some of the best trousers in my wardrobe. They fit well, look good, and the only alteration they needed was to hem in the length.

bink
Havana
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Havana »

Thanks for all the tips. I will definitely check out LL Bean's offerings and also look for a local seamstress who can shrink some of the MC Hammer khakis that I already have. I knew I could count on you guys for some good suggestions.
IndyFrench
Writer of Things

Post by IndyFrench »

I don't know - those pants look fairly baggy to me.

Mike
ob1al
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by ob1al »

What, are you saying a moth wore them before me?
:lol:

I almost missed that line! LOL!

Yeah, IMO I'd say Indiana Jones' pants are baggy with a capital 'B' man!

Put it this way - my last Wested pants were a size 40 and I actually take a size 36. I thought the look was right.

But for a closer fit, I'd suggest a standard, regular pair of Chinos. I don't know about the LL Bean stuff as I've no experience with it.

Regards

Al
Havana
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Havana »

IndyFrench has a point. It's true that Indy's screen pants are pretty darn baggy which would be a major avantage when it comes to action or the North African climate. Believe me, I've been there. You can break a sweat from blinking. I was just looking for Indy type pants a little more suited to my own taste not necessarily screen accurate. I just like a trimmer fit for myself. I'm only 5'9" and baggy pants make me look much thicker than I am. I work hard and pass up sooo much good food to stay trim. I just want someone to notice. I need attention desperately!