The Wested Custom 3/4 JerseyJones Long Indy Model !

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

JerseyJones
Vendor

The Wested Custom 3/4 JerseyJones Long Indy Model !

Post by JerseyJones »

[MOD EDIT:limit of 6 pictures]
viewtopic.php?t=21315

About a year ago, as I stared at my Wested TOD Goat I wondered....

How could I get this look in a style that would be wearable OVER my suits for work ?

So, I searched, pondered, looked at LOTS of old jackets online and finally found a few I liked style wise BESIDES the Wested. These included:

The Aero HalfBelt Jacket for its Back Belt Image and the long half belt Image

along with a HOST of other pictures, drawings and notes. I emphasized that it NEEDED to cover my suit jackets with the upper back of the Indy for ease of movement and the back panel at the seat so I was "covered" when standing and could sit when driving.

So I proceeded to contact Peter, Gerry, Sally and the whole Wested team with my list of unreasonable demands. Over the course of a year, we corresponded, talked, and wrangled my "Long Indy" into being.

When I was told it was done, I had not seen it, so I braced myself for a pleasant surprise...

which I didn't get.....

I GOT, in my opinion, a MASTERPIECE !

My spec list was long and nitpicky and included:

* Dark Brown Horsehide

* A storm flap ( right over left ) with snaps

* a light rayon insulated liner

* Brass Hardware (buckles, Talon Zipper)

* Fit to be worn OVER a suit jacket or sweater

* Hidden Snaps on the flap pockets

* Inside Pockets : Left Sunglass(flapped) / Lower Left Medium Flapped / Right Map size

* The Bracelet Cuffs off of the Aero Half Belt

* A Nice Raiders-Style properly proportioned collar that has a little stand up quality

* An IJ Box back with rear seat back panel vents and side pulls.

WOW Did I get what I wanted and more. This coat is wonderful. It looks the part of "Indy's Winter Coat" it fits terrifically and the horsehide, ......well.....just amazing !

I have worn this in sub zero temps with no more than a sweatshirt under it and stayed comfortable, but not overheated. It's just great.

I'll let my temporary, crummy pix tell the story, but they do NOT do justice to this coat:

Pocket Details

Cuff Details

Belt and Side Pulls

Back details

...and the terrible self taken OWNER picture :oops: . My cousin will take new, nice ones soon !

In general, I am amazed. There was no pattern for this at all. Wested took a sample coat of mine for length reference, a set of measurements, my notes and pictures of other coats and N A I L E D this thing. Its made for me alone (for now anyways :wink: ) and there is a measure of cool in knowing its yours.

To Wested, Gerry Peter, Jerry and Sally...thank you all again. What can I say, but to quote Belloq " IT'S BEAUTIFUL !"

To the gang here, thanks for reading. Feel free to ask questions, since I know I am too tired and missed a lot.

Peace my friends,

Ken / JJ
Striver
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Striver »

JJ
That is a truely superb coat and is a credit to Wested. You look great in it!! You are a fortunate guy!

I have a Wested Raider Goat and a minor problem is finding sweaters (pullovers) to wear under it which don't show at the bottom. "All" sweaters are too long! Maybe next time I'll get a longer Wested style (though I love my Raider style without a sweater!). Just thought - maybe I need a waist-coat??

One other thing: how the **** did you manage to get the blue eared bear idol ahead of the release of the next film?

Striver
Rob
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Rob »

I have thought about a jacket to go over suit jackets; when I feel ca$hed up, I'll be doing similar, except modelling it on the WWI flying jacket that Indy wear in thr YIJC. Sometimes you just need the length, eh?
JerseyJones
Vendor

Post by JerseyJones »

Striver wrote:JJ
That is a truely superb coat and is a credit to Wested. You look great in it!! You are a fortunate guy!

....One other thing: how the **** did you manage to get the blue eared bear idol ahead of the release of the next film?

Striver
Thanks on the coat but Ixnay on the Idol-nay !! :shock:
Bjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bjones »

Jersey,

That is indeed a masterpiece! :shock: WOW. You and I have similar tastes. I ordered a TOD in the dark brown horsehide and your coat's color is absolutely gorgeous. Those aren't crummy pics, they really show off the color of the horsehide. I hope my jacket has that same color...truly incredible. I also looked at that Aero half-belt long model as maybe something to replace my winter jacket in a few years...if wested can make that jacket, looks like I don't have to go very far.

Hats off to Wested for making a beautiful new coat. Peter in co., I think you may have a hit on your hands...better add this to your standard lineup.

Wow...great coat.
Indydawg

DAYUM!!!

Post by Indydawg »

Fine jacket.....DAYUM fine jacket.

That horse hide looks great! Makin my mouth water here....

Well done, Wested.
High Regards!
Indydawg
JerseyJones
Vendor

Re: DAYUM!!!

Post by JerseyJones »

Indydawg wrote:Fine jacket.....DAYUM fine jacket.

That horse hide looks great! Makin my mouth water here....

Well done, Wested.
High Regards!
Indydawg
Thanks ID. Mouth watering ? I consider that very high praise ! :)

Though I am not about to EAT my coat ! Though I have been made to eat my hat.... :roll:

Ken / JJ
Feraud
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Feraud »

A great, great jacket! :D
Indydawg

Yeah , man...

Post by Indydawg »

mouth waterin' indeed. I mean, those POCKET FLAPS!!! My GAWD!!!! I love that leather. It's too bad that Wested has such a hard time getting that hide. Though, they'd have a hard time keeping a supply if it all looks that good.

And that's just a brilliant idea for a jacket.

Love it....that's all there is to it.

Really cool....
Again, my hat's off to you!
Indydawg
ShanghaiJack
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ShanghaiJack »

I had to sit and look at the pics of your jacket for 10 minutes before I could post because I was completely lost for words. That is one absolutely amazing looking jacket! The rich color of that horsehide is absolutely beautiful. I may have to look into getting a Raiders style in horsehide for my next jacket, unless of course I become the second person to have the JerseyJones Jacket! I haven't been wearing my suits lately because I just can't bear to take my Wested Raiders off. This is the answer I've been looking for. Thanks JerseyJones, you are a genius! If you don't mind could you tell me how much damage that amazing jacket did to your wallet? Okay, I need to end this post and go back to staring at the pics of that jacket!
IndianaGuybrush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaGuybrush »

Yeah JJ, that jacket is simply gorgeous. I hope Wested saved the patterns, and would you mind other people benefiting from your hard work? Although I'm sure I can't afford it now, once I hit the lottery I wouldn't mind looking into one. Any day now :D
Crusader556
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Crusader556 »

That's one great looking jacket! :D I was not aware that Wested was so open about custom jacket designs. If you don't mind me asking did cost a lot more than the standard Indy jackets they make? I understand it would cost more for extra material and leather but was there a large charge for the custom design?
JerseyJones
Vendor

Post by JerseyJones »

Thanks all,

To answer the question about Wested and custom work, I can only attest to my work with them. I just initially asked Peter if they could do a custom coat and he said yes. Then we went back and forth a lot on the details as I said, arriving at my ideal coat in the end. Bear in mind the Wested are film/theater industry professionals, so they are more than capable of making ANYTHING leather you ask for.

As to costs, feel free to PM me. I hesitate to post specifics out of respect for Wested so they are not painted into a corner on a price. I can approximate that it is SUBSTANTIALLY LESS that of the Aero Cossack or Long Half Belt for the custom coat from the keel up. It's nothing short of amazing. I leave issues of pricing to Peter and the gang.

As for those who are asking to use my pattern, I consider it very flattering that you all care ! :) I have no problem with it, though I should have had mine marked as the Original Long JJ Indy or something like that. Maybe a certificate with my silly mug on it ! :P

Keep the love coming ! :D

Much thanks

Ken
Rob
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Rob »

I should point out, too, that the russet you see in these shots is the same russet as in my horsehide LC jacket. These shots show it well.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Have you had much of a chance to wear yours, Rob, considering it's the warm time of year down your way? Regards. Michaelson
Rob
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Rob »

Michaelson wrote:Have you had much of a chance to wear yours, Rob, considering it's the warm time of year down your way? Regards. Michaelson
Well, not really, no :( I got a good couple of months with it, then it was retired for the summer, which we're still in the middle of. I couldn't even consider it at present.

But I'm really looking forward to April and May when it starts to get cooler... then June and July... LOOK OUT!!!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

That's what I figured. Don't you HATE when things time out like that?! :( High regards, and thanks! Michaelson
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

Jersey,
Can I ask $what $ that set you back? I wanna get a trench from Wested and I was curious what kind of price I may be looking at. Thanks.
JerseyJones
Vendor

Post by JerseyJones »

FYI folks, I wore this thing in wind chill of -15 this morning over my suit jacket and I was not cold after 15 minutes. Nice !

K
JimL
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JimL »

Hey there Jersey Jones!

I am currently trolling through ALL the leather jacket posts as part of my research for my PhD dissertation on the Raiders jacket ("all the Raider's jacket specs in one place" thread) and I stumbled acros this 3-year old thread, and saw your (then) new jacket.

I like it.

A lot.

I would make a few style changes to your basic pattern, but for the most part, I'd say you nailed the practical adventure overcoat right there my friend!

So, that was all. Kicking a dead horse, literally and figuratively here, but I think praise is well deserved for you as well as Wested for pulling this one off. :notworthy:

Nice one!
coronado3
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by coronado3 »

I like the look of the D rings on this one... I am sure they will hold fine with the HH straps!

C3!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

No need to get all excited about this almost 3 year old thread. I believe JJ sold this jacket last year, so there's nothing more to see or discuss. Old news, and it was a prototype that didn't go any further than this one example.

Regard! Michaelson