quiestion about crown height

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Shiva
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

quiestion about crown height

Post by Shiva »

This question is primarily for Fedora about the AB but anyone who can help please respond. In a good Indy Bash what is the relationship of the measurement of the front of the crown to the rear? Example of my hat. When it first arrived it was approx 5 1/2 inches if you ran a measure from the bottom of the front of the crown, up the line of the pinch and to the top of the crease. I didn't measure the back so I don't know the ratio. After messing with it and changing the bash etc and so forth I realized that my problem was simply that it looked too tall for my face but I actually liked the original shape best. After some steam and attention I have essentially recreated the original shape but with the front edge creased to 5 inches rather than the original 5 1/2". That half inch really does seem to make the difference for me and I like it better. Now for the back, do you make the line from the brim to the rear part of the crease the same height? lower? how much lower than the front?
So far mine is bashed to about the same height in the rear crease as the front but wondering how you did it originally? Getting to like this hat more and more as I develop a "relationhip" with it.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/shiva_sha ... pg&.src=ph
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

My Akubra is about 5 inches at the front and 4 inches at the back.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

I normally have mine 5 inches on the front, and 4 1/4 on the back. Fedora
Shiva
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Shiva »

I could have sworn that my hat arrived taller than than that, Fedora. Now I'm confused. When it arrived it had a center crease that didn't get shaped by my head when I put it on. When I crease the front to 5 inches and the rear to 4 1/2 I get a distinctive head "bubble" that gets pressed into it when worn.
Last edited by Shiva on Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Hmmm. I dunno. Sounds really high for my hats, that is if you are measuring from the bottom of the ribbon to the top of the front pinch. Unless you ordered a 6 inch crown. That would raise the front measurement up some, but normally only to 5 1/4, tops. Of course, I do not measure these things, I just do it by eye. But, from the past, it seems to always work out to those dimensions. Regards, Fedora
Shiva
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Shiva »

I definitely didn't order a taler than usual crown. I edited teh above post but your responded so quick that you answered before I got to finish editing
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

I would just pop the crown out, steam it lightly and punch the crown back out, on the sides and top. Let it cool, and then restyle it. Hope this helps. Fedora
Shiva
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Shiva »

Thats what I did. Its been kind of fun shaping it. I like the way it looks now. I guess my question was more that I wanted to know if the front of the crown should be higher than the back or the same.