Orvis Cardigan: A review

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

LuckyLighter
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Orvis Cardigan: A review

Post by LuckyLighter »

Well my Orvis shawl cardigan arrived on Dec. 11, and I've had plenty of time to give a few field tests. First of all, screen accuracy is not even an option as far as color--I ordered brown, and soon learned that their idea of brown is almost white :shock: . Let's just say, blond might be a better color description, or very light brown.

But that is just being superficial and petty about an amazingly beautiful sweater. And, actually, the color does look good when worn with the shirt and pants--and it looks even better with a black LC tie.

The collar is a perfect height--actually, I had been searching for a cardigan like this one for years, even before I discovered this community.

I had this cardigan out on two fairly chilly, windy days, underneath my leather jacket with a scarf, and it kept me warm, but I imagine it would be more suited for sitting by a fireside with a glass of cognac, but that's just me, I'm just that type of cat.

Because of the material it's made from, I did find the sweater to be a bit itchy, so make sure you have you shirt sleeves rolled down.

Final analysis:

Screen Accuracy: I give it a B...the collar and overall style of the sweater is a pretty good match to "Mystery of the Blues", but I had to deduct points for the color, and the lack of color choices in the catalog: it comes in 3 available colors; blue, green, and "brown".

Wearabilty: A..Very comfortable, though a bit itchy, but it will keep you warm under your Wested, or whatever jacket you prefer.

Style: A+...Looks great, and goes well with the rest of the gear, particularly with the Last Crusade tie.

Overall: A...I love this sweater, and although it is a bit pricey at $69.00, you get what you pay for in quality and general coolness. I would recommend to save money if you plan on ordering the sweater, order it at an Orvis retailer. If there is an Orvis store near you, go there and use their public ordering line, tell them you are ordering from a store, and they will not charge you for Shipping and Handling...you'll save yourself about 8 bucks.
Last edited by LuckyLighter on Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snakewhip_Sable
Scoundrel

Post by Snakewhip_Sable »

Nice!

That's about an average price for a good sweater anyway, ain't it? Those Indian Motorcycle sweaters go for more than $100 Canadian. ...and they're not as nice and don't appear they'd be as warm.
Rixter
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rixter »

What style leather jacket did you wear it under? It looks like it might be a little long for a raiders style jacket or at least very close that there might be the possibility of it eventually stretching out and poking out from under the jacket’s hem. Maybe it just LOOKS long. I've always found Orvis cloths to run larger than the size indicates, although I haven't really purchased that much from them. :?
LuckyLighter
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LuckyLighter »

Believe me, it just looks long. I almost got an Extra Large, but I opted for the just plain Large, because I was told they run long. The Large fits me perfectly, and only comes down to just past my waist. The jacket I wear would be considered ToD length, I guess, so it might just fit under a Raiders. I think if you have a Raiders and asked for that extra inch in front, you would be golden.
IndyMo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyMo »

I'm heading to Orvis (manchester Vt) this Friday (dec 24th) I'll have to check out this cardigan. Great store!
LuckyLighter
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LuckyLighter »

Indy Mo, not all the stores carry the sweater, that's why I had to order it at the store, so you may end up having to order it and have them ship it to your house. Fortunately, they have catalogs handy for when you place the order.

But, since you're going to VT, they may have a better selection, considering Orvis is a New England based outfit. The Orvis I went to was in Paramus, NJ, and wasn't exactly a gigantic store, you know--it was actually rather tiny.

Good luck, Indy Mo...happy hunting. And have a great holiday!
IndyMo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyMo »

LL,

Thanks - actually this is Orvis' main store - It is huge - there is a large pond inside that is stocked with trout. Two story fire place with leather chairs and couches to sit and relax while the wife shops. The last time I was there I do believe they were out of stock on a shirt I wanted and had to order it. If you ever get to Manchester - you must stop at Orvis.

Happy Holidays.
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

IndyMo wrote:...leather chairs and couches to sit and relax while the wife shops.
That's odd :? ....for me, it's the other way around. :D
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

Pyroxene wrote:
IndyMo wrote:...leather chairs and couches to sit and relax while the wife shops.
That's odd :? ....for me, it's the other way around. :D
Pyro,

For me it depends on which store Mrs. Bufflehead and I are in.
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

About the time that Lucky Lighter posted this review, this cardigan became unavailable. I just received the Orvis Holiday Gift Guide and it is available again, if anyone is interested. Unfortunately, it went up to $89.
I guess they only have it available for Christmas. (The elves must have gone on strike over the summer and got a pay raise.)
LeatherneckJones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by LeatherneckJones »

I just got one, and it arrived on my porch two days after I ordered it. It is a great sweater, and I can't wait for the cooler weather to roll in. My sweater came in a color I'd call "oatmeal"... much lighter than the picture on their website, though.