Work Lid?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Kilgour Trout
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Work Lid?

Post by Kilgour Trout »

I decided to move this question into its own thread, as I'm afraid to highjack Skip's. Here's the question...

Doe's anyone else wear there Indy lids to work? Or is it just me?
I get the impression more than a few of us do...

If you do, what kind of response do you get?

Warm Regards
Kilgour Trout
Neolithic
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Neolithic »

Yeah, I've worn my fed to work a few times.
I didn't get much of a response until we went out to coffee- when the guy we know at the café whistled 'Waltzing Matilda'. I don't expect you to know this tune- but it's song strongly connected with the stereotyped version of Australian culture and the wearing of Indiana Jones type hats. No one made the Indy connection though...
Canadiana Jones
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Canadiana Jones »

I did during my former job. But my new job is at a manufacturing plant with chemicals for making tires. I come home covered in the @#$%, therefore I wouldn't want to risk getting my fed dirty beyond repair.
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

I used to wear mine everyday before becoming a stay at home dad.
Modern Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Currently being torn in 20 directions, at once! (As usual ....)

Re: Work Lid?

Post by Modern Jones »

Kilgour Trout wrote:I decided to move this question into its own thread, as I'm afraid to highjack Skip's. ...

Warm Regards
Kilgour Trout
You are a scholar and a gentleman!!! :D

I usually only wear mine leaving work, because of the hair thing. I don't have the stylist following me around after each take! :wink:

Although it looks great with my suits!

Skip
Band Director Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! Deep in the heart of Texas!

Post by Band Director Jones »

I wear mine to work everyday. In fact, it has become my "trademark" and has sparked a bit of discussion in on of the psychology classes at the high school that I teach at :roll: . I actually wear my hat everywhere I go.

The Indy style fedora . . . don't leave home without it.
zohar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by zohar »

I wear a different hat to work every day. Straws in the summer, felts in the winter.

I wear it anytime outside from vehicle till I get to my office, when it goes on my hat rack. When leaving, I put it on my head, put on my coat, and go home.

I never wear my hat while working in the library.
thefish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by thefish »

I wear my Akubra to work about every day, and when I'm in the office during the summer, I wear my Montecristi.

Most people don't give me a second look, as most other faculty, staff, and students think I'm a little odd anyway ;-)

-Dan
Harry Steele
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Harry Steele »

Sure I wear mine to work -- what's a hat for? :wink: I've always received positive comments and usually from the ladies. :D

When wearing my Fed, someone once asked me if it was Australian. Well it was an Akubra. Oddly enough, I never had anyone associate the Akubra Fed with Indy, but I was told I looked like Indiana Jones when I happened to be wearing my Akubra Cattleman! :roll:

Cheers,
Harry
Snakewhip_Sable
Scoundrel

Post by Snakewhip_Sable »

I wear mine to and from work, but never inside. The boss bellows "Indy!" every morning when I come in. I wear a fedora everyday outside the house. It just feels weird wearing one indoor unless I'm in a mall or flea market or something.
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

I'm on the road all day. When the sun is burning your ear and the side of your face off, a wide brimmed hat is essential. I have a beat up Raiders hat that lives in my vehicle.
Dakota Ellison
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dakota Ellison »

I'm an old, decrepit coot who doesn't care what anyone thinks. At work I install computers and pick up disconnected computers. My dress is casual; jeans t-shirt and sneakers (or the Aldens or the J.Crew boots) I get outa bed and the hat goes on (HJ or Optimo or Fed Delux) I wear it all day every day, everywhere. If I take it off, it's my call. It does not rely on anything else. One guy at work calls me Indee sometimes in a Salah type voice, but by and large most people say nothing.
Some days I go to work in the LL Bean trousers, the aldens, the shirt and the Wested. It's the hat that makes the difference, though. If I wore no hat, or a ball cap, no one would notice the rest of the outfit.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

You're kidding, right? Yeah, I wear my Indy's and other hats to work! My team probably wouldn't know me if I didn't show up in a hat! Even the guy who handles my oil changes calls me 'Indy'! Kind of strange to see this posting today -- first day in months, I have not worn an Indy-style fedora to work -- came in with a deerstalker today. W>
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

My tradition is to wear it anytime, anywhere, all day, everyday. Taking it off only when entering an establishment or tipping it to a lovely lady. Proper hat manors should be followed at all times.
thefish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by thefish »

I never get the "Indy" thing. Most college students around here can't tell the difference between a fedora or a cowboy hat, so it's always, "Where's your spurs," or something similar, if anything's said at all. (But it doesn't help matters that the minute the weather cools down, I'm in my ol' battered Aussie-style drover's coat either.)

-Dan
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Fish! Ain't it so! And, it is not just college kids! It amazes me just how un-hat-knowledgable so many people are -- all ages. Truthfully the real cowboy types understand more about hats of all types than the average Joe. I don't think it would seem so strange to me if it was just the younger people who think wearing ball caps is all there is when it comes to headgear (and not even wearing these correctly), but it baffles me how many men my age and older, who have been around, seen a lot and even though hats went out of vogue (to a big extent) with the Kennedy years, don't know anything about finer toppers. Even these guys tend to wear ball caps -- and poorly at that, some of the time. So, you are not alone..I would love a dollar for everytime I get compared to a cowboy or to Crocodile Dundee. The comparisons really don't bother me, but I get a bit flustered with the -- do I want to take time and explain the differences to them -- or blow it off, concepts. I usually just blow it off! Regards. W>
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

I wear a fedora and my Wested nearly every day to work. It's become a bit of a trademark for me at the campus I work on, but I wear a fedora almost everywhere I go. And Clinton, I even wear mine during gigs! I don't let guitar swapping get in my way! :wink:

bink
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Re: Work Lid?

Post by Pyroxene »

Kilgour Trout wrote:Does anyone else wear there Indy lids to work?

If you do, what kind of response do you get?
All the time. No responses anymore. Everynow and then someone will comment like it's something "new" or joke about it. When they do, I ususally have a sassy remark as a response.

Pyr
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I get more comments from folks when they see me WITHOUT my hat, so it's just become a 'trademark' too, as bink states. Then, I've been wearing fedoras and leather jackets before Indy ever hit the silver screen, so it's more like Indy copied me rather than the other way around. 8) :wink: Regards. Michaelson
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

I think I remember an interview on the DVD where Lucas was saying he had a character in mind based off some old fellow he saw who wore a fedora and leather jacket. Steven liked the general idea, but said the moustache had to go. Honest! 8-[

bink
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

8) :wink: Regards. Michaelson
bclead
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by bclead »

I wear my PB Borsalino to work every day. I don't wear it inside, but whenever I go out I wear it. It's amazing the responses I get. Some recognize the hat from Indiana Jones and some think it looks like a cowboy hat (I don't get that, 'cause I HAVE a couple of cowboy hats and they look nothing like a Fed). For some strange reason, my son thinks it looks like a Park Ranger's hat?! Whatever others think it looks like, I like it, and it keeps my bald melon protected from the elements!! :lol:

..............Bruce
Feraud
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Feraud »

I wear my Fed Deluxe to work most days. I have only ever heard positive comments. New Yorkers know a good thing when they see it!. :P
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

I wear one of my hats everywhere. When I had the shop, it was a good way to keep sawdust out of my hair, and haveing an Akubra on even saved me from a bad head injury once. I never get comments anymore, and I attribute this to being older. Like Dakota, I could care less what folks think. I am pleasing myself, and have never been one of the herd. I like being different. My rules for wearing a fedora is basically to take it off at bedtime, due to my wife's insistence. To me, a hat is an article of clothing. I would not pull my pants off in order to enter a building. :wink: The hat stays on. regards, Fedora
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Fedora wrote:I would not pull my pants off in order to enter a building. :wink: The hat stays on. regards, Fedora
Unless you were a professional stripper, that is. :wink:

bink
Havana
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Havana »

I always wear a hat to work. I wear western hats, fedoras, and some straws of each type. I get many compliments from ladies. Guys often ask me about my hats. I know some (possibly many) people think I'm foolish for wearing a hat but I don't really hear negative comments. I have a natural facial expression like Hugh Jackman in X-Men so I think people assume that I'm not interested in their fashion critiques. Let me tell you what really makes my skin crawl. Women often say, "Oh, My husband has a hat like that. He got it at Wal-Mart." This makes me want to scream and cry at the same time but I try to stay polite. I've had people call me Indiana Jones when I'm wearing a white straw cowboy hat and a blue denim jacket! Once when wearing a raincoat and an Akubra Stylemaster fedora, a wiseguy started whistling the theme from The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly and then laughed like a mental patient. Maybe, he was a mental patient?
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Unless you were a professional stripper, that is.

Or a down and out comedian, looking for a quick laugh. :lol: Fedora
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Touche! :lol:
Colt
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Colt »

Wear a fedora's or panama (summer) everyday. Don't worry to much about the hair. I hang it up while at my desk, when I leave the office it goes back on.